Increase jogging stamina

Options
2»

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Another thing to keep in mind as you progress is that every run is not going to be better, faster, longer, easier, etc. than the last. You will have good days and bad days. All runners have some days when it just isn't there, so don't get discouraged if this happens. Sometimes it's your body's way of telling you to take it easy and some times it just can't be explained. Just accept it for what it is and get it the next time.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    "I could maintain the pace very well short term, but at a certain point, I had to push myself really hard to keep going."
    A sure sign that you're running too fast.

"I was already jogging slower than a lot of people walk, so I didn't realistically think I could slow down any more without essentially just walking."
    This made me laugh a little because I think all of us runners have thought this. The reality is that we are not running that slowly; our brains just tell us this (because our brains can be jerks. LOL).
    When out running, now or in the future, whenever you feel tired, slow down. There's always a slower pace. Once you've rested, you can pick the pace up again. You don't have to run one pace for the entire run.

"But I did manage to slow down last night and found a pace that I can maintain for quite a while!"
    This is the key for successful running. You've got this!! High five!

By the way, you ran your first 5K in 43 minutes. This is my current pace (41-45 minute) and I've been running for years now. You are doing really good.

If you add hills into your runs, you will find that (in time) your pace on level ground will be quicker. Hills are your friends, even if it doesn't feel like it when you're running up them. Hill running will slow you down and you may (will) need to stop and walk for a spell (or turn around and run downhill to catch your breath, then run uphill again) but it's such a help in the long run.
    I try to include a hill run every week.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options

I understood that logically, but I had hoped to progress more in the time I'd been doing this. It's been 2.5 years since I started! I guess I was going at a pace that I could maintain short term but didn't really thing about slowing down even more, because my pace was already slower than some people walk. I honestly didn't think I COULD go much slower, but I proved myself wrong last night! And the pace I was keeping I could have kept up longer, if I wanted to!

Hmmmmm half-marathon

• runnermom419
    runnermom419 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    First, congrats on finishing a full 5K! That is awesome!

I think you have some great advice in this thread. I am with the group that weight training and cross training will help improve the running. Does your trainer have you doing any plyometric type exercises? When I am running my best, I am also taking classes that have me doing a variety of moves. They help. At mile 20 or 22 of my very first marathon I thought “Hey, this is easier than burpees” and “all those lunges are paying off”.

Yes, slow down. Even if your jog isn’t much faster than a walk, you’re still jogging. The C25K program is there to get you to running for 30 minutes nonstop. Repeat weeks if you need to. Consistency is key.

Finally….yes, intervals and hills can be very beneficial overall. You can have fun with it! You don’t need any specific workout at this point. If you’re outdoors, pick a spot and run fast to it. Walk a recovery and start again.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I just jog for the heart rate pump and call it done at 30 minutes no matter how many miles are on the odometer.

I cycle between fast walk and slow jog, and my heart rate ranges from 120 to 165 for the duration of the session.

My goals may not be your goals, but, I encourage you to set goals that are achievable and that give you a sense of satisfaction. Not everyone enjoys jogging, and good news is there are so many different ways to get exercise for strength or cardio, whichever you are shooting for.

good luck!