Whole Body Vibration

Options
Anyone here using Whole Body Vibration for toning or circulation, etc? There is a center by my office so I've added twice a day 10 minute sessions to my workout (one hour of cardio). I've lost at total of 6" from my bust, waist, hips, upper arms (the most there) and thighs since the end of June. Plus, it really makes me feel great and gives me loads of energy for hours after a session.

Just wondered if anyone else has used this and what kind of results you've had. I know it's not a replacement for 'real' exercise, as I said, it's just a part of my daily routine, not the entire routine.

Replies

• jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    What do they do?
  • traklaw
    traklaw Posts: 7
    Options
    Is this the same as "Powerplate" workout? I am interested in finding out if it would be useful for my own workout. It looks good from the You Tube videos that are available and it looks like it would help beat the monotony of a workout routine
  • nickiblake
    Options
    I have a Merit 3000 VB at home and i've started using it every day for 30mins, for the last week. I know people say it's not real excerise but i can feel every muscle in my body ache, so it must be doing something right, If you get the position right and tighten the muscles some of the position can be quite hard to hold for the 60 seconds lol I also feel it gives me better posture and frees up the joints a bit.

I'm not interested in what the scales say, i just want to drop a few dress sizes and get rid of the jelly belly lol

i'm glad you have posted about the inches, I will takes notes of mine and then keep an eye on it.

I'd love to know what calories it is meant to burn so i could add it to my diary, along with my 30mins treadmill. I find if i VB before the treadmill my legs don't burn as much.
  • nikat4
    nikat4 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How many calories is lost in a 10 minute session?
  • dolores55
    Options
    300 cal per 10 min ,also 10 min are equal to 50 mins of reg training
  • donnabullen
    donnabullen Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have a Medicarn Power Plate purchased from Amazon. 10 minutes a day is equivelent to a 1 hour workout at the Gym!!
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options

I don't buy the maths I'm afraid, my friend tried to convince me about these things - yes they might make you ache, but if they're not actually giving you a proper cardio workout they're unlikely to be burning the calories they claim. My legs ache after driving for a long time - do I assume I've burnt a ton of calories? Nope, because I was sitting on my bum with a regular resting heartrate.
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    However, not knocking the OP who has clearly had good results, feeling great and energised and using it in addition to exercise regimes certainly is reason enough to use them - I just don't get the advertising techniques used that lead people to think that these can be used INSTEAD of proper exercise and whatnot!
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    If ya like being thrashed around, I need a new sparing partner... Any takers?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Anyone here using Whole Body Vibration for toning or circulation, etc? There is a center by my office so I've added twice a day 10 minute sessions to my workout (one hour of cardio). I've lost at total of 6" from my bust, waist, hips, upper arms (the most there) and thighs since the end of June. Plus, it really makes me feel great and gives me loads of energy for hours after a session.

Just wondered if anyone else has used this and what kind of results you've had. I know it's not a replacement for 'real' exercise, as I said, it's just a part of my daily routine, not the entire routine.

If it makes you feel better, why not......but I'm going to suggest that the success you've enjoyed is a result of the exercise you're doing. I'd like to see some real research before passing judgement.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

based on????? Please cite a source.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Would I get the same effect if I sat on my vibrating alarm clock? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • addisondisease2
    addisondisease2 Posts: 348 Member
    Options

This is a troll. If you wanted to get this same work out just buy a bus pass, you can get shaken around the whole town for much cheaper.
  • addisondisease2
    addisondisease2 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Also its a total gimmick, just like the shake weight, the shape up shoes, or just about anything else you see on TV
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I can't think of anything that can burn 300 calories in 10 minutes. Just like Addison said, a gimmick product created and marketed to unknowledgeable (and sometimes desperate) people attempting to lose weight. Early on I bought into a few useless products (electronic ab stimulator was the worst!), but nothing ever worked except exercise and nutrition. Save your money.