Stress and boredom eating

Options
I work in an office that has lot of snacks, I see myself reaching out for those at least twice a day , otherwise I am a healthy eater, I reach for food due to stress and boredom. Any tips on how to handle this?

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    Take yourself for a short walk instead, grab a glass of water instead of the snacks.

If the snacks are in your line of sight, see if they can be moved where you can't see them.

If boredom strikes see if your colleagues need a hand with anything.

For stress, go for a short walk. See what you can do to minimise the stress...if its deadline stress can you plan tasks in advance, prioritise things, can other people help with the workload?
  • TexasTallchick
    TexasTallchick Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could bring some else to work to reach for like fruit, hummus and veggies, Greek yogurt, etc,, when you get the urge. The. You won’t feel guilty.
  • armyvet25
    armyvet25 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Water keeps you fuller, less likely to snack, but, carry a small bag of peanuts in your pocket for a snack, protein plus healthy fat. Or nuts of choice if peanuts aren't your thing or allergy.
  • Emmalovestorun
    Emmalovestorun Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Get yourself the quitzilla app, been a game changer for me, put in what you want to quit doing and watch the days add up.
    Add me here if you like
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    - Bring your own healthy snacks to work.

- I took up knitting to replace mindless/boredom eating at home. Gives my hands something to do other grab for snacks.

- Find new healthy ways to deal with stress. Exercise, journaling, a hot cup of tea, you have to consciously choose another way to deal with your stress.
  • jessesoursourian
    Options
    I never used to be this guy but I now love seltzer. It feels like a treat and fills me
    Up better than even water.
  • armyvet25
    armyvet25 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I never used to be this guy but I now love seltzer. It feels like a treat and fills me
    Up better than even water.

I thought about this myself as I don't want to be buying flavored packets for my water just to spice things up...but, I was also thinking about going one step further, and buy ginger root liquid extract to see if I could add that to the seltzer, almost like a calorie free ginger-ale without all the pop chemical additives.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,467 Member
    Options
    I became the office germaphobe. One day I had reason to stop and watch the behavior of my coworkers around food that was out. That did it. No more office donuts for me. My rule became that if I didn’t bring it, I wasn’t eating it. I didn’t bring anything.
  • healingnurtrer
    healingnurtrer Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    A walk and water really help me with stress eating and boredom eating.

I like this list! >
    Take yourself for a short walk instead, grab a glass of water instead of the snacks.

If the snacks are in your line of sight, see if they can be moved where you can't see them.

If boredom strikes see if your colleagues need a hand with anything.

For stress, go for a short walk. See what you can do to minimise the stress...if its deadline stress can you plan tasks in advance, prioritise things, can other people help with the workload?

Also taking a moment to be mindful, process your emotions. Example: During stress recently, I asked myself which emotions I was feeling and made a short note called "things I hope will improve" and listed some things that were bothering me. Worked on what I could, accepted the reality of the things I couldn't change. I feel like a benefit of stopping/ reducing stress eating is if I had just used stress eating to calm down I may have missed a chance to make a needed change in my life.