Help!!! Need NUTRITION AND DIET ADVICE!! HELP!!

Options
So my name is Lillian I literally live in my car! I'm so unhappy with my weight...right now my weigh in is at 278lbs.... I work in fast-food and delivery it's really hard to eat healthy on such a tight budget..can anyone give me advice..what to eat..what to substitute..any dietary advice would be greatly APPRECIATED!!!

Replies

• luvme204
    luvme204 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    @sijomial thank you for your time and advice!!!! Yes you're right I am overwhelmed by everything that I'm supposed to do...and through it all I keep saying "I'll start tomorrow as soon as indicated the perfect combo of diet & exercise! There is none! THANK YOU FOR HELPING ME!!!!!❤️😊
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    luvme204 wrote: »
    @NovusDies yes I am homeless I live in my car... No I do not have access to a kitchen, however, I will soon be getting a hot plate and/or a George Foreman indoor mini grill..so I will be able to do a little more! Thank you for the advice! I absolutely love that you took time out of your day to help me!! Thank you! Truly! 🤗🥰

Your task will have some additional challenges but I do not think any of it should be insurmountable as long as you are a good problem solver. Getting a way to cook is definitely a step in the right direction.

How well can you control the temperature inside your vehicle? Would storing fruit be safe? You would need a way to block out sunlight but still allow for air circulation and probably no bananas at all.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    @apullum Thank you for replying! No I do not have access to a kitchen at the moment however I will be getting a hot plate and/or a George Foreman grill..I do not receive any assistance other than Medicaid...my car payments/insurance take mostly all if my paychecks everyweek, so yes I rely heavily on the food from my jobs.. seeing as I don't pay for it..however I am limited in what I can have.. basically I am only allowed pizza or garlic knots anything else I have to pay for(it's super expensive). I do work out at the gym regularly... I do lots of cardio, I alternate legs, back, and, and arms 5 days a week. I do take a medication in which really causes my appetite to increase horribly! Also it makes it very hard to loose weight !...I think that about sums it up..if you need any more info just ask! THANK YOU SOOO MUCH FOR CARING ENOUGH TO ASK AND HELP ME!!!!!!! 🤗🥰

A few ideas:

- If possible, I'd go for more veggies and lean protein on the pizza, and less bread and cheese. Most people find that bread is not very filling for the calories, and while cheese is a source of protein, it is also relatively high calorie. Will they allow you to have a thin crust veggie pizza, light cheese, maybe with some grilled chicken?
    - Do you like tuna? It's also a good source of protein for the price, shelf stable, and pretty low calorie if you buy it packed in water instead of oil. Some dollar stores carry it. Protein is important for health, but it also helps many people feel fuller, so it can help with sticking to a calorie deficit.
    - Canned beans don't have as much protein per calorie, but you may also be able to find them cheap, and that's another thing that you can keep in the car. While it's nice to warm them up, you can eat them room temperature if you don't have any way to heat them.
    - High-fiber foods also help many people feel full. You could try store brand fiber cereal, maybe with some fruit if you can afford it. Canned fruit packed in juice may be an option, or perhaps raisins. In many places, you can buy powdered milk or milk packed in self stable containers. Just don't increase your fiber intake too quickly--that can cause digestive upset. Add fiber to your diet gradually.
    - I'm guessing that you have already looked into any nutrition benefits or assistance, but if not, please check to see if there are any programs you are eligible for, or things like food pantries in your area. Some food pantries and soup kitchens have income requirements, but some are open to anyone.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Your situation is definitely a challenging one, but it sounds like you're really trying, both with the exercise and also trying to figure out how to move forward with weight loss. So, I just wanted to chime in and wish you luck in wrestling with this difficult situation.

Also, I wanted to say that even though the pizza and garlic knots are free, they are gonna largely or at least in part have to go if you want to really do this. Empty refined carbs (and cheese) are just too many calories for too little fill (after the first hour or two after you eat them). Really anything is better - peanut butter on an apple, vegetables of course, a million non expensive things like sardines or tuna or hummus on a whole grain bun, etc., but mainly for now see if you can get at least some of that refined, empty carb stuff out of your daily routine. Nobody gets thinner eating pizza and garlic knots, although I wouldn't mind being a guinea pig for a week-long experiment to see if it's possible :wink: Being provided with free stuff that causes you to gain weight is something you'll need to find a way to decline, one way or another.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    @apullum Thank you for replying! No I do not have access to a kitchen at the moment however I will be getting a hot plate and/or a George Foreman grill..I do not receive any assistance other than Medicaid...my car payments/insurance take mostly all if my paychecks everyweek, so yes I rely heavily on the food from my jobs.. seeing as I don't pay for it..however I am limited in what I can have.. basically I am only allowed pizza or garlic knots anything else I have to pay for(it's super expensive). I do work out at the gym regularly... I do lots of cardio, I alternate legs, back, and, and arms 5 days a week. I do take a medication in which really causes my appetite to increase horribly! Also it makes it very hard to loose weight !...I think that about sums it up..if you need any more info just ask! THANK YOU SOOO MUCH FOR CARING ENOUGH TO ASK AND HELP ME!!!!!!! 🤗🥰

Are you eligible for other assistance? What state do you live in?

If you are willing to share your community, people here might be able to find resources for you that you might not have thought of.

When I lived in Florida, a good friend of mine became homeless. He too was working. During that experience, I became aware of many other homeless people, some living in their cars. My heart went out to them.
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    i am really sorry that you are in the situation you are in. it sounds like you are a grateful and positive person with a lovely attitude and i am certain those things will help get you in your own home soon. i don't want to give you food advise. i just want to wish you luck that things will turn around for you as quick as possible. all the best to you. xx
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options

Do you (or can you) see the medical professional who prescribed the medication? There are alternatives for most medications, and a different medication with the same primary effect may have different side effects for different people. Your doctor should be concerned if the medication is interfering with your achieving a healthy weight. It can't hurt to ask.

Best of luck.

• Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Hi Lillian, sending you my very best wishes.

You might have done this already, but before anything else, have you talked to your caseworker -- the person you would go to about Medicaid -- and asked to be placed in public housing, or on a waiting list? The rent in public housing I believe is based on your income.

I used to work for a church. Many churches (all faiths) have cold weather shelters. It isn't safe especially for a woman to live in a car, which I'm sure you know. Please ask for help getting into housing and don't try to work your way out of this alone.

I agree with @apullum who said to find out about local soup kitchens and food pantries. Where I live, the food pantry will give people one free bag of groceries a month.

Some soup kitchens also have a free shelf with fresh fruit and vegetables people can take home. Your caseworker and most churches would have info about these places.

Again, sending you my best wishes. Check back in here and let us know how you're doing this week.

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Don't you qualify for any kind of food assistance? Yes, you do face challenges. People(just general people, not you or anyone in particular) always say eating better costs more but I don't believe that. If you have any way to store fruits/veggies safely I'd definitely start replacing some of your current foods with those. Ex.-eat 1 slice of veggie pizza with apples and carrots. When I allow myself pizza now, I throw the entire crust away.

Please keep us updated and I'm sure you'll get lots of great advice along the way!! And do NOT get discouraged!! Baby steps! It's hard if you're anything like me, you want it done and you want it done now. :(
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Lillian - you're in a difficult position but you have a great attitude and determination that will serve you well. Just keep on plugging away, one foot in front of the other everyday and you will do well in life.

In terms of food, much of the third world in Central and South America lives on black beans and rice. Black beans (50-60 cents a can and buying a can opener for a couple of bucks) are high in protein and a good source of fiber which will help keep you filled up. In order to make rice you will need a one burner hot plate (about $10 at Walmart) and a 3 quart pot with a lid ($10-15) to boil water and cook the rice. You also may be able to find some pots or kitchen things at a Salvation Army type store. Don't buy rice in the regular grocery aisles; instead find a grocery with a bulk food section. Bulk rice is crazy cheap. If you find you like BB&R, if you go to an Oriental market, they will sell sacks (10+ pounds) of better quality rice (like Jasmine) really cheap. Bulk seasonings are also inexpensive; if they have cumin pick an ounce or two up (less that 50 cents). If you are going to be eating the same thing regularly it's nice to add some seasonings to make things a bit more interesting.

Ideally, getting fresh produce is also really important. Carrots are nutritious and cheap, apples hold up well and are filling, and getting a small bag of greens like spinach that you eat with your BB&R would be perfect. Winter time will actually work in your favor in terms of having produce last longer without refrigeration.

For breakfast, buy a jar of peanut butter, maybe a couple of bananas a smear the pb on the banana.

As far as the pizza at work goes, it makes a lot of sense to take advantage but if you are able to make the pizza yourself pile on as much meat and veggies as possible and don't eat the crust. The dough is just a lot of empty calories.

Best of luck!