Not running as much & sudden weight gain?

Hey, all,
I was 3 pounds from my goal weight and due to schedules and the time change, I haven’t been exercising as much the last month. For almost two weeks now, my scale says I’ve put on 4.5 pounds.
Can this really be? I had a stomach ache yesterday and literally cleared my system, weighed myself today and still up that 4.5. Any ideas?

Replies

• ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Review your calories and your exercise routines and make sure they match up and get back on the horse. You won't know if the 4.5 lbs are fat or water until you watch them fade back off or not. Either way, it won't matter in the whole scheme of things if you review your habits and re-align them with your goals.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Maybe you need to calibrate your scale or change the batteries?
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    When you exercise less than usual, your body may replenish its glycogen stores if they were depleted from training. That could be what’s happening.

It could also be coincidence if it coincides with hormonal weight gain or other normal reasons for fluctuation.

If you are not carefully weighing and logging all your food, then it could be that you’re unintentionally eating more than needed for your current (lower) activity level.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Have you decreased the amount of cals you are eating back from exercise now that you are exercising less? (MFP NEAT +exercise method)

Or, if you are using an off site TDEE calculator, have you adjusted that for less exercise?

Or, if you are using a personal device, (Fitbit, Garmin, Apple, etc) are you noting and adjusting your cal intake according to its feedback.

If your cals are the same as pre-exercise cutback you will not lose as much, stall, or gain depending on the deficit, or lack thereof. Water/glycogen and food in transit could also be contributing.

Recalculate your cal needs and tighten your logging. The last few lbs can have lots of fluctuations because you are so close to maintenance intake.

It may be worth comparing what your maintenance cals are against what you are eating now and adjusting from that point of view.

Cheers, h.
  • hjma
    hjma Posts: 29 Member
    I do log my calories and 90% of the time I eat in deficit, even if not exercising. However, I have not readjusted since my exercise schedule has changed.
    apullum wrote: »
    When you exercise less than usual, your body may replenish its glycogen stores if they were depleted from training. That could be what’s happening.

It could also be coincidence if it coincides with hormonal weight gain or other normal reasons for fluctuation.

If you are not carefully weighing and logging all your food, then it could be that you’re unintentionally eating more than needed for your current (lower) activity level.
    apullum wrote: »

• hjma
    hjma Posts: 29 Member
    edited November 2019
    I have not adjusted my calories, but whether I log exercise or not, I’m almost always eating so that I’m losing or maintaining. I will have to take a look at how my calories burned are stacking up compared to weeks ago.
    Have you decreased the amount of cals you are eating back from exercise now that you are exercising less? (MFP NEAT +exercise method)

Or, if you are using an off site TDEE calculator, have you adjusted that for less exercise?

Or, if you are using a personal device, (Fitbit, Garmin, Apple, etc) are you noting and adjusting your cal intake according to its feedback.

If your cals are the same as pre-exercise cutback you will not lose as much, stall, or gain depending on the deficit, or lack thereof. Water/glycogen and food in transit could also be contributing.

Recalculate your cal needs and tighten your logging. The last few lbs can have lots of fluctuations because you are so close to maintenance intake.

It may be worth comparing what your maintenance cals are against what you are eating now and adjusting from that point of view.

Cheers, h.