My weight won't budge...?

Options
I've been eating 1,200-1,500 calories of mostly healthy things everyday (I don't like to deprive myself or else I go crazy later on), and I also go walking/running 30 minutes to 1 hour and 30 minutes 4-6 times a week. I've been doing this for about 3 weeks to a month now, and I know weight loss takes time, but my weight hasn't moved at all. In fact, I've GAINED weight. Last time I checked the scale, I was 145, and today I weighed myself after 2 weeks (even though I promised not to weigh myself for a while since the number only disappointed me), and I was 146.6.
I haven't been doing any strength training yet so this couldn't be muscle weight.

I'm feeling really discouraged right now. Any advice?

Replies

• AJENLENA
    Options
    Try to increase the pace of your cardio workout or maybe switching up what you have been doing...think biking, elliptical (if you have access). Also you should really incorporate resistance/strength training into your exercise routine. This will help increase the calorie expenditure and start to give you more tone! Good Luck!
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, you may not be eating enough. If you're a female and eating 1200-1500 calories per day with that much exercise, you may not be getting enough fuel. Your body will store fat if you're not eating enough calories.
    Try eating half of your exercise calories in addition to the 1200-1500 calories you're eating now.
    Drink plenty of water too.
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    try staggering your calories for a week.. that should jolt your body into doing something
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    maybe try doing something different for exercise? swimming, or 30ds or something? I cant really comment on the food as ur diary isnt open, but it could be you're not eating enough if you're working out for over an hour a day?
  • dawnblu
    dawnblu Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Totally - eat more! I know it sounds crazy but the same thing happened to me. I was doing really well with my calories and then working out and I gained weight. I looked back at my dairy and noticed that I was not eating back my exercise cals. I ate more and surprisingly - I lost the weight I had put on. Weird but true. You need to eat more!
  • dreeminbigg
    Options
    Believe it or not, you may not be eating enough. If you're a female and eating 1200-1500 calories per day with that much exercise, you may not be getting enough fuel. Your body will store fat if you're not eating enough calories.
    Try eating half of your exercise calories in addition to the 1200-1500 calories you're eating now.
    Drink plenty of water too.

I only burn 400 calories max, and that's only when I go for an hour and thirty minutes. Usually I burn around 200-300 calories.
  • dogwhisperette
    dogwhisperette Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I feel your frustration! I have been sitting at the 144ish mark for some time. I do the 30 day shred daily and am on Level 3, Day 2. Walk almost daily at least 30 min at a brisk pace and eat well. UGH! So they say take measurements! Did that, not moving either. So as I type this I see my scales and measuring tape sitting on my couch ready to go in hiding until Oct. 1st. Care to join me in the challenge?
  • kmumansky
    kmumansky Posts: 119
    Options
    Make sure you are logging everything accuratly. Don't eyeball measurements for your food, as underestimating can easily cost you a few hundred extra calories a day. Also maybe get a HRM to get an accurate calorie burn reading from your walks/runs instead of relying on the what MFP says.
  • dreeminbigg
    Options
    Totally - eat more! I know it sounds crazy but the same thing happened to me. I was doing really well with my calories and then working out and I gained weight. I looked back at my dairy and noticed that I was not eating back my exercise cals. I ate more and surprisingly - I lost the weight I had put on. Weird but true. You need to eat more!

I always feel so full by the end of the day even if I don't reach 1500 calories :( but I'll try to eat more.
  • dreeminbigg
    Options
    I feel your frustration! I have been sitting at the 144ish mark for some time. I do the 30 day shred daily and am on Level 3, Day 2. Walk almost daily at least 30 min at a brisk pace and eat well. UGH! So they say take measurements! Did that, not moving either. So as I type this I see my scales and measuring tape sitting on my couch ready to go in hiding until Oct. 1st. Care to join me in the challenge?

Of course! I actually told myself a few weeks ago I wouldn't weigh myself until December and hopefully see a huge change in the number then! I just gave in this morning unfortunately. But yes, my scale will be hidden now :)
  • Sezmo83
    Sezmo83 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Is this net calories or total? If you're exercising that much then you'll need more than just 1200 calories a day. I aim to net between 1200 and 1600 calories a day which means if I exercise I eat at least some of those calories back to stay above the 1200.
  • kcgslp
    kcgslp Posts: 212
    Options
    Mix it up a little. The body easily adapts to what we give it. If we continue to give it the same exercise and the same food it figures out how to maintain a homeostasis (ie stay the same weight).

Fool your body get a video try a new exercise
    and try different foods
    and alternate calories (same weekly amount over all just divided into one high day one low day and something in between)

Good luck and Don't give up!
  • dreeminbigg
    Options
    Is this net calories or total? If you're exercising that much then you'll need more than just 1200 calories a day. I aim to net between 1200 and 1600 calories a day which means if I exercise I eat at least some of those calories back to stay above the 1200.

My net calories are usually around 1000-1100. I'm guessing that's why I'm gaining weight, right? Since the number is low?
  • sjr1957mfp
    sjr1957mfp Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    strength training will help boost your metabolism. you can also incorporate high-intensity cardio intervals to burn more calories. start here: http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/tipsandtricks/a/Intervals.htm to see what it's about. there's lots more information on the web. I particularly like Turbulence Training. good luck!
  • suz155
    suz155 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Hi....I know the three things that have gotten to me, in the past. No excercise, but, you are doing that. Another was not eating enough, trying to do the "quick weight loss" Last one really messed me up, my mind. For example, last night, I wanted some raisins, I grabbed a handful and said to myself, thats about an ounce. The thing Im doing different now if I'm not going by my food loving brain. I weighed them, it was 4 ounces, big difference. Hang in there.
  • kimmerc1331
    kimmerc1331 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Your calories are way too low, although I dont know your height/BMI. Sometimes the body gains in the early stages of weight loss. The first month of diet/exercise for me, I gained too. Then the weight came off, then it stopped again. Im still trying to figure out my next move to start losing again. Good luck and dont give up. Also, MFP overestimates exercise calories burned...
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options

Of course! I actually told myself a few weeks ago I wouldn't weigh myself until December and hopefully see a huge change in the number then! I just gave in this morning unfortunately. But yes, my scale will be hidden now :)

Personally I think it's a good idea to weigh yourself often. I weigh in every morning to keep myself accountable. Some days I see a loss and some days I see a gain. Our weight fluctuates daily, but by the end of the week I have usually lost weight.
    I think you should weigh yourself at least on a weekly basis. I believe it helps keep you on track.
  • BarbieHier
    Options
    Is your thyroid normal? Have it checked, thyroid problems can make it harder to lose weight.
  • sweetiebelle
    sweetiebelle Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I agree that you my not be eating enough. Eat half your exercise calories. I only work out 10-20 minutes a day im eat 1500 calories. That means you probably don't eat enough.
  • TiffanyA2008
    Options
    I'm not sure what your goal is, but remember that one pound is equal to 3500 calories. So if your goal is to lose, say one pound per week, then you need to be having a 500 calorie deficit a day.

Hope that makes sense! Good luck :)