Afternoon Snack Suggestions?

Options
hadley0910
hadley0910 Posts: 91 Member
I am looking for quick, easy ideas for an afternoon snack. I am an elementary teacher and it has a bit of an impact on my eating schedule. I typically have breakfast around 6ish and take my kiddos to lunch at 10:50 am... By the time I get home around 4:30 I am starving. I tried taking an apple or ceral bar and eating that when the kids have snack but those didn't seem to be the best choices... Any recommendations? Oh, and by the way, during the time that they have snack I do not have access to a fridge.

Replies

• ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    protein bars if your calories allow it? I found an almond bar I like as well.
  • gsenriquez
    gsenriquez Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    If you have any container that can hold cold drinks for a few hours...I drink almond milk w/ chocolate whey protein. Or sometimes, Atkins bar.
  • MrsZMartin
    MrsZMartin Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I used to keep a bag of almonds in my desk at school. Now, I keep Emerald 100 cal almond/walnut packs which helps me with portion control (also a teacher). :)
  • clarebrad
    clarebrad Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Nuts are great, almonds can be good if get a sweet craving. carrot sticks, celery, gluten free ricecrakers
  • mrogers52
    mrogers52 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I eat an ounce of almonds and drink water. Sometimes I am just thirsty!
  • quitmakingexcuses
    quitmakingexcuses Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    High protein! Nuts, nut butter, protein bar ( I like the Pure Protein variety, most are 200 cals with 20g protein). And drinking water with it will keep you full :)
  • rhiannonchallans
    Options
    Homemade popcorn - that way you can have it without butter/salt or at least control the amount, making it less calories.

Or, I like to cut up strawberries and set them in lite jelly - I take a punnet of strawberries, slice 'em up, set them in 300ml of Aeroplace Jelly Lite and its something like 80cals but geez its a big snack lol.

Edit: just read the no fridge part - take a cooler bag maybe?
  • Blackdog2001
    Options
    I use a number of things to keep it interesting. Clif Bar, cranberry nut mixes, blueberries, cashews, half a protein bar, 20 cherries, etc. Since you eat early with your kids you might want to work in two snacks so that your carb load stays somewhat balanced between lunch and dinner. I find that eating many small snacks during the day keeps me from getting hungry. It seems like I'm always eating, but the portions are relatively small so it works out at the end of the day. Throw in some cardio at the end of the day and your will have plenty of fat burn potential. On days when I workout, I end up with 500-700 calories of unused calories. Do that for 5-7 days and a pound of fat is gone :) Hope that helps.
  • hadley0910
    hadley0910 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the great suggestions!
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Sunbeam Light White bread (80 cals for 2 slices) and all natural peanut butter. Tastes great and satisfying. Plus protein!
  • i8mine
    i8mine Posts: 1
    Options
    Caramel Snack a Jacks
  • sarahenagy
    sarahenagy Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have an apple, like you mentioned, in the afternoon, and it wasn't enough. I recently added a 50 calorie light string cheese stick along with the apple. That with some water seems to fill me up enough that I dont' gorge when I get home. I am a teacher also and have lunch at 10:45. I just keep the cheese stick in my lunch box sitting in my room and eat it when I get a chance in the afternoon. It's fine unrefigerated for a few hours.