Cancer diagnosis; need advice

Options
In August I was diagnosed with stage 3 colorectal cancer. I was only 40 years old at the time so it was very shocking. At my first doctors appointment I weighed 271 pounds. I’m currently at 256. It’s still very high and I know that I need to make myself as healthy as possible. I’ve battled with my weight all of my life, so this isn’t easy for me. I would love to have any suggestions you may want to offer on health and fitness, or even some recipes. Anything positive would be appreciated.

Replies

• Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    Hi Mitzi. I'm sorry about your illness, but it's good that you got a diagnosis and can begin medical care. They've made a lot of advancements over the years. My late husband had cancer for 13 years and passed away from something else. He walked every day outdoors for at least one hour, no matter what the weather, and called it "getting in some movement." His doctors said that strengthened his immune system and helped him do well. Whatever you can do, I would suggest getting in movement every day. I would also suggest good nutrition, build up your health in general, and make time to take part in something you normally enjoy in life, from taking photos to pets to crafts or whatever that may be for you.
  • mitzi2013
    mitzi2013 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    Considering your diagnosis, your doctor should oversee your health and fitness. Nobody in here is qualified to give you advice about what or how much to eat since you are probably going thru chemotherapy or any other cancer treatment. It seems that you are already losing weight on your own or maybe as the result of your condition and treatment. That is why medical assistance is important.

I would suggest that you talk to your doctor and/or his team and ask for suggestions, recommendations, and guidance. I registered dietician specialized in the dietary needs of cancer patients would be of great help in your situation. The Cancer Society, Colon Cancer supports groups, and Mayo Clinic could also be another good source of information. I am very sorry that you are going thru this ordeal. Best of luck to you.

https://www.cancersupportcommunity.org/diet-nutrition?msclkid=e7e93324b8f210dd70e46eecfc16a4be&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Cancer Nutrit

I have spoken to my oncologist and he basically just said not to worry about my weight right now. I’m more concerned with once I get through the worst parts. I’ve never really been healthy and I’m just trying to figure out the steps and maybe get some healthy, but tasty, food options. Thank you for the support link. I’ll definitely check that out.

• mitzi2013
    mitzi2013 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hollis100 wrote: »
    Hi Mitzi. I'm sorry about your illness, but it's good that you got a diagnosis and can begin medical care. They've made a lot of advancements over the years. My late husband had cancer for 13 years and passed away from something else. He walked every day outdoors for at least one hour, no matter what the weather, and called it "getting in some movement." His doctors said that strengthened his immune system and helped him do well. Whatever you can do, I would suggest getting in movement every day. I would also suggest good nutrition, build up your health in general, and make time to take part in something you normally enjoy in life, from taking photos to pets to crafts or whatever that may be for you.

I’m sorry to hear about your husbands passing. Thank you for the kind words and suggestions.

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,144 Member
    Options
    mitzi2013

Glad to hear that you already talked to your doctor about it. I am sending you other links to help you get mor information.
    Best to you

Cancer Support Community - Nutrition For Cancer Treatment
    https://www.cancersupportcommunity.org/Nutrition/CancerNutrition

Nutrition for People with Cancer | American Cancer Society
    https://www.cancer.org/.../staying-active/nutrition.html

19 Chemotherapy Diet Recipes for Cancer Patients to Fight ...
    ahcchpv.com/chemotherapy-diet-recipes-radiation-cancer

Banana Oatmeal Cookies with 3 Ingredients. Bananas can help restore potassium …
    Homemade Applesauce. A study conducted by Fresno Community Hospital and …
    Very Easy Ginger Tea by Health and Wellness Chef. Ginger has many natural …
    Special Ginger Dressing on Salad with Spinach, Almond, Sunflower Seeds. In …
    See all full list on ahcchpv.com

Nutrition in Cancer Care (PDQ®)—Patient Version - National Canc…
    www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/treatment/side-effects/appetite-loss/nutrition-pdq/
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    There are some interesting studies showing promising results of eating a ketogenic diet to help with cancer treatment. The documentary “the magic pill” on Netflix talks a bit about it too. Maybe do some reading and see if it sounds like something you’d want to try.

Regardless of if you want to go keto or not cutting out processed foods and added sugar and adding more healthy meats and veggies would probably help.

Good luck to you! Kick its *kitten*!
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I agree with others about not dieting during treatment. You may, or may not, have serious appetite related problems/issues. Really, you should discuss this with your oncology team, for what is best for you.
  • annk18
    annk18 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Diagnosed with lung cancer three and a half years ago. Had surgery and chemo. I echo the others about following your doctor but, be careful as most on colleges seem to think gaining weight is great. I gained 10 lb during the three-month chemo. They told me to eat anything so I ate lots of sugar. Not good nutritionally or for me. I have plenty of overweight to begin with.
    sorry about the diagnosis and good luck with the treatments.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,359 Member
    Options
    mitzi2013 wrote: »
    Thank you all for your responses. I've had a pretty tough 2020 so far. I've lost over 50 pounds since I posted last. My doctors and nurses fuss at me for not eating a lot, but it just hurts to use the bathroom. I am putting in an effort to eat more now. I just got my ostomy bag removed about a month and a half ago. That was by far the worst part of my entire experience with cancer thus far. I hope everyone is doing well!

Thank you for coming back and giving us an update. I'm sorry to hear that these months have been so difficult! I hope you will have turned a corner, and started on the road to real improvement. Sending strength and well-wishes!