30 Minute Cardio Suggestions

Options
Does anyone have any suggestions for a 30 minute cardio workout they have experienced good results with?

In the mornings I only get 30 - 40 minutes in the gym and I really want to make the most of it and torch as many calories as possible.

Thanks!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    30ds? or running. if you only have 30 minutes then you could see how far u can run in that time, and try and build up the distance each week?
  • kmumansky
    kmumansky Posts: 119
    Options
    I've been doing the Firm Express which is 20 minutes...although i'm just starting out I lost 1 lb my first week...I'm happy with that. But that's an at home excercise video not the gym. If I were at the Gym for 30 mins I'd either do Spin or Eliptical I think for 30 minutes 3 days a week and lift weights 2 days
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Try HIIT, it only takes 20-25 minutes, including warm up. Google HIIT to get an idea. HIIT can be done on any cardio machine or on a bike or running outside.
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    focusing on the 30DS idea- Circuit train? since you are at the gym try warming up for 5 minutes on elliptical/treadmill whatever, then do a circuit of weights (alternating days of upper body or lower body) throw in another 5 minutes of cardio and repeat ending with 5-10 minutes of cardio

I think if you do about 4 different weight training exercises spending about a minute and half to two per station you will get in about 15-16 minutes of weight training during the two cycles and 15-20 minutes of cardio (plus your heart rate will still be elevated during the weight training increasing the cardio effect) - the benefit being also that you are working on building or at least toning muscle leading to a higher calorie burn in your daily resting metabolic rate and less flab) - if you have extra tilme work in some abs
  • Shutterpillar
    Options
    Definitely run. I have about the same amount of time each day to exercise, and have tried jump rope, 30 Day Shred, and running as my main source of exercise. I can say without a doubt that the running is what changed my body the most, and burned a good amount of calories. Its also very stress-relieving. Try a program like Couch To 5K if you've never ran before.

Good luck. :smile:
  • hstallings13
    Options
    Me myself, I LOVE 30 day shred. If you look at my pics you will see what Jillian did for me 30 mins from warm up to cool down and it kicked my butt a lot. Didn't lose but about 10lbs, but I was far happier with the changes in my body than the number on the scale :)
  • cherrybomb5377
    Options
    Do 30 min worth of laps in the pool. Its both a strength training exercise as well as great cardio. It works all those problem groups of muscles (gluts, triceps, inner thighs) and is way easy on your joints. Plus you don't get all sweaty and disgusting 'cause your in the pool.
  • holly_v
    holly_v Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Try HIIT, it only takes 20-25 minutes, including warm up. Google HIIT to get an idea. HIIT can be done on any cardio machine or on a bike or running outside.

i was going to suggest this too. you can get a hiit timer for your phone too which is helpful in the gym. personally i like this one https://market.android.com/details?id=com.pimpimmobile.atimer&feature=search_result.

ETA: i have done a 5-7 minute run on the treadmill (at 6.5) to get my heart rate started then a 15 min hiit of weights and a little cardio and burned 280ish
  • shannon877
    shannon877 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Ditto the HIIT... squats, lunges, overhead presses, push ups, sit ups, etc.
    5-10 of each, with little or no rest in between.
    30 minutes on a treadmill or elliptical is a waste of time, unless you're doing sprints.
  • sophs87
    sophs87 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your suggestions! I think HIIT is definitely the way to go - will try it out for a couple of weeks and monitor the results.

• Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Ditto the HIIT... squats, lunges, overhead presses, push ups, sit ups, etc.
    5-10 of each, with little or no rest in between.
    30 minutes on a treadmill or elliptical is a waste of time, unless you're doing sprints.

^^^^This

If you're going to do the treadmill/run, then warm up and jog for two minutes, then run like you're being chased by a grizzly bear for one minute. Slow to jog for two minutes, then grizzly bear again ... do this for the 30 minutes. As you get better at outracing the bear, you can add more time to the bear-chase part.