Do you find your gym membership worth it?

Options
124»

Replies

• fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    We haven’t been members of a gym since my oldest was a baby, so over 10 years. We have since moved and there is a OneLife facility about 45 minutes away (others closer, but smaller with way fewer amenities). 80,000 square feet, indoor salt water pool (indoor chlorine is an asthma/croup trigger for my 8 year old so HUGE perk), supposedly neat stuff for the kids, just not sure what is available for each age... Price tag would be $114 for our family of 6. Ouch. But we aren’t renewing our annual tubing/ropes course pass... and it would give us something to do over the winter (we homeschool). Also, I am wanting to train for a sprint triathalon. I want to go and check it out one day.

All that to say (or ask):

If you pay for a gym membership each month, do you feel it’s worth it? Do you use a lot of what’s available? What are your favorite aspects of gym vs. home workouts?

Currently I run the neighborhood, do some videos and body weight exercises, and a couple indoor things like a vintage rowing machine and bike trainer... but I get bored out of my mind. I can swim in the river in warmer weather but the water’s already below 60*.

45 minutes away? Ah no. No way. I actually belong to OneLife, and have been a member since they were Gold's, and to Bally's before that. In fact I have been going regularly to a gym, for over 35 years now. (I'm 63.) It is absolutely worth the cost - I just can't imagine not going to the gym. But 45 minutes? I'd have to find something closer.
  • wmweeza
    wmweeza Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my local gym! It's about $30 a month. My favorite part is the pool, we have a pool at home but it's FREEZING and not easy to get into (above ground). I have hand weights at home but the gym has so much more equipment. Plus at the gym if I'm sore I can modify my workout to a different muscle group, at home I am limited to body weight stuff (push ups, sit ups and hand weights).
    So: Pool, variety of stuff, and also that people EXPECT me to be there now. The staff all know my name, and some of the other clients expect me there even though we aren't friends. They'll pass me by and turn back to comment "Hey I didn't see you Monday, everything okay?". In short it might sound weird but I'm like a piece of furniture there that when you remove it the area looks empty. Odd analogy but it works. I like that someone expects me somewhere ( I stay at home 99% of my life).
    I also like the challenge of trying new things, and the gym always has something I haven't tried yet
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    wmweeza wrote: »
    I LOVE my local gym! It's about $30 a month. My favorite part is the pool, we have a pool at home but it's FREEZING and not easy to get into (above ground). I have hand weights at home but the gym has so much more equipment. Plus at the gym if I'm sore I can modify my workout to a different muscle group, at home I am limited to body weight stuff (push ups, sit ups and hand weights).
    So: Pool, variety of stuff, and also that people EXPECT me to be there now. The staff all know my name, and some of the other clients expect me there even though we aren't friends. They'll pass me by and turn back to comment "Hey I didn't see you Monday, everything okay?". In short it might sound weird but I'm like a piece of furniture there that when you remove it the area looks empty. Odd analogy but it works. I like that someone expects me somewhere ( I stay at home 99% of my life).
    I also like the challenge of trying new things, and the gym always has something I haven't tried yet

I can’t decide on the social aspect for me. I stay at home, and since I no longer participate in the same community group that I had been heavily involved in the last two years I am a total homebody. I kinda like it, and I know we are only here for a “season” (for my husband’s job, not sure if it will be a year, two, ten?) so part of me is staying guarded. But then again, a friend or two would be nice. Or just an adult to chit chat with occasionally (I think that’s why I tend to be overly wordy on here).

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    The punches route sounds perfect! You’re right. You get to see how it works for you without much commitment. That should help you see what’s important to you and your family and lifestyle. I hope it works well for you!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Yay! I found a possible option 30/35 minutes south of us! It’s a parks and rec place for a neighboring town/city and they do punch passes that would be (if I did the math correctly) $2.32 per person per visit for myself and the kiddos. They don’t have anything fancy like the OneLife facility, but there is gym space (basketball and racquetball), weight room, indoor pool, some limited classes, etc. Our daughter has been in that pool (briefly) and didn’t have breathing issues so maybe it’s better ventilated? Or lower chlorine in general. I am thinking I could plan it out so they could hang out on the bleachers while I swim a few laps, then we could play for an hour or two to burn off some energy this winter (they have a schedule with laps and open swim times). Or, I could swim a few laps, then we could head to the racquetball court and hit around for a few (hubby and I used to play in college and early married life). Going to check it out next week sometime... that way it’s a town we drive to frequently (was going 2-3 times a week last year for leadership meetings I was a part of - plus places like Costco, larger shopping options, a few friends), no pressure to go x number of times to make it “worth it” and if we don’t like it we use up the punch pass and move on.

Sounds good!
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    All that to say (or ask):

If you pay for a gym membership each month, do you feel it’s worth it? Do you use a lot of what’s available? What are your favorite aspects of gym vs. home workouts?.

@moonangel12 - For me - proximity is key- my gym is 3 blocks away and I love the amenities. I do group fitness and the steam room is super relaxing. I have a great group of people that go to my gym so it’s a nice positive atmosphere for me. I am seeing I pay a lot more than most on this thread.. but gyms in the city cost more typically..at least by me..
    think I’ll go in the morning to start Monday off on a great note!
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    yup..... they recently offered me a bed in the back! LOL
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Yes, my gym membership is worth it to me. As I read a previous post: "I hate the gym." That is me, also. I do not enjoy it on the whole, but I grew up with a Dad that took care of his health and he was an example to me. I really would prefer to play a sport or get exercise another way, but I find gym membership the most practical for my life.

I had been walking and doing other outdoor activities years ago. Then I discovered melanoma on my ear, had to have the top part of my ear removed, and decided I needed to exercise out of the sun.

I have an established routine. I get up, put on my gym clothes, and just go! I listen to music while I am using the gym machines. I do not stay long since I work out before I go to work. And I need it since I have a desk job.

I often just do 35 minutes on an exercise bike and plus maybe a few weights. It is a basic gym without too many frills: machines, weights, and classes. Low cost and friendly employees. Go about 4 times a week. It is only 1.5 miles from home. I know I would not go as often if it was farther away.

I believe I am in better shape and healthier than if I did not go. I have only taken 2 sick days in the last 4 years on my job. It makes a difference. I still weigh more than I want to, but I weigh 75 pounds less than I did 10 years ago.

• crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    There is no way I would ever use a gym that was more than 5 minutes from my house/work. I currently have 2 memberships- one two blocks from my house and the other is a 5 min drive from my house. I have ADHD so I can’t focus on exercise when I am at home, too many other distractions, so going to the gym helps me focus, at the end of the day I’m either going to pay for the gym memberships or for the PT bills from injuries due to not working out so the out of pocket expense isn’t really that big of a deal to me.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,596 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    You keep saying the driving distance is not an issue, just the monthly cost.

How many times a month will you be able to carve out a the THREE hours for your trip plus the cost of gas and goodies for the three hours on the road? (1h to get there and change, 1h to do something, 1h to change and come back, plus kids asking for things)

Are you combining your trip with other activities/chores at the same location?

Take the number of your expected gym sessions in a month, divide by membership cost, arrive at a per session cost.

Triple this because we will assume *kitten* will come up and you will only make it on some of your planned trips (because a sick kid or broken car or other kitten will pre empt your gym trip)

Is it still worth it on a monthly basis? What would be your session cost without a membership? What are the membership cancellation terms? How many complaints against the business about them making it hard to cancel a membership? (Some gyms play games that way)

That's how I would look at it!
  • moonangel12
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    You keep saying the driving distance is not an issue, just the monthly cost.

How many times a month will you be able to carve out a the THREE hours for your trip plus the cost of gas and goodies for the three hours on the road? (1h to get there and change, 1h to do something, 1h to change and come back, plus kids asking for things)

Are you combining your trip with other activities/chores at the same location?

Take the number of your expected gym sessions in a month, divide by membership cost, arrive at a per session cost.

Triple this because we will assume *kitten* will come up and you will only make it on some of your planned trips (because a sick kid or broken car or other kitten will pre empt your gym trip)

Is it still worth it on a monthly basis? What would be your session cost without a membership? What are the membership cancellation terms? How many complaints against the business about them making it hard to cancel a membership? (Some gyms play games that way)

That's how I would look at it!

The kids are used to 45 minute treks for day to day basics, so that’s not a huge deal. It’s all they know. As for cost additions, long distances are such a way of life that piggy backing a grocery store trip and other errands are usually part of it as well.

We did find a punch card option 30/35 minutes away which is about as close as I am going to get (I think there is a small Anytime Fitness 20 minutes away, but nothing for the kids). We just don’t live close to anything so it is what it is and you get used to it.

• RenaSkam
    RenaSkam Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    YES it's SO worth it!!! Our local YMCA is $62 per month, which includes locker rental so I can leave all my soaps & such there. I swim every morning before, work for an hour & do water exercises & sometimes I do some machines in the gym. When I joined I checked my utility bill & found that it was down an average of $30 per month since I shower & get ready at the Y. I've made many new friends there, some that have been on the same journey as myself & it helps to get support!! Plus if we travel out of town & I want to swim I can use the local Y in whatever town we're in so I don't feel guilty for not going.
  • moonangel12
    Options
    Hmmmm... just looked up YMCA’s in the area and there is one in the same town as the original gym I was looking at (so 45 minutes). Less than $70 for the whole family, no start up costs or contracts, and I could go to the one we used to belong to in NC when we visit family since they are a part of the national membership. Another option to consider! Going to call and see if they offer a trial visit or punch card to give it a try. Lots of class options, and child care for all 4.
  • FireyChimera
    FireyChimera Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Not really, I pay 20 ish dollars a month and haven't been to the gym in over 2 months! Just throwing money in the trash XD
  • reversemigration
    reversemigration Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky to have a gym at work. It's also close enough to walk to on my days off, and only costs $5 a month. Nothing fancy, but it has everything I need. Previously I was spending much more for the university gym as an alumnus - the pool and other amenities were nice, but I couldn't justify that much $.
    @RenaSkam When I joined I checked my utility bill & found that it was down an average of $30 per month since I shower & get ready at the Y.
    I think I probably make up the cost of my membership through this alone.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm... just looked up YMCA’s in the area and there is one in the same town as the original gym I was looking at (so 45 minutes). Less than $70 for the whole family, no start up costs or contracts, and I could go to the one we used to belong to in NC when we visit family since they are a part of the national membership. Another option to consider! Going to call and see if they offer a trial visit or punch card to give it a try. Lots of class options, and child care for all 4.

All the YMCAs to which I have belonged were exceedingly family friendly and offered sliding scales/scholarships.