Best low cal snacks for couch and tv time?

Options
By the evening I'm tired and just want to watch some tv and relax before I hit the hay early, but I'm a snacker. What are some good low cal options? I would go exercise, but I'm awaiting foot surgery so I'm limited.

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Popcorn 🍿
  • SageJJ93
    SageJJ93 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I agree with popcorn. An apple or a piece or 2 of dark chocolate is nice as well.

If you have a craving for chips or something, dont try to ignore it, just measure out a serving and put them on a plate or bowl and only eat that serving. Sometimes I take a half serving because by the time I'm done with it the craving is usually gone anyways 🙂
  • misclaire81
    misclaire81 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You can bake the thinn mountain breads and make them into chips. I sometimes brush with a tiny amount of oil and sprinkle spices on them for chilli chips.

They only take a few minutes, so watch them so they don't burn

Also popcorn, but I am partial to a pretzle
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I really prefer carrots, celery, green beans. I can’t eat popcorn, don’t love chips, do love crunchy!
  • Nbaker0909
    Nbaker0909 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Cucumbers! 100 grams of cucumber is a low calorie but high volume snack so I feel like I’ve eaten a good size snack without having a calorie bomb at the end of the night
  • ellie117
    ellie117 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Popcorn!

I also like veggie straws, but need to portion them out. I snack based on volume, so I can have more straws than regular potato chips for the same amount of calories/less fat.
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Agree with the popcorn suggestion. But I also took up knitting to give my hands something to do other than grab for food. I’ve tired to cut out a lot of the mindless eating I used to do.
  • jamiepatterson082121
    Options
    Thank you everybody for the suggestions! Will definitely give a few a try!
  • armyvet25
    armyvet25 Posts: 48 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    no cal water foods, sliced bell peppers, greens, celery, carrots
    pickles are my go to, or hot peppers
  • AnnieBananiiii
    AnnieBananiiii Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My fav snack is cucumbers, whipped cream cheese, and some everything but the bagel seasoning right on top.

SO good.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    I once heard my parents describe adolescent me as an "olympic snacker". However, I find that if I'm spreading my calories and macros appropriately throughout the day I don't get the snacking urge after dinner like I used to. Make sure your deficit isn't inappropriately aggressive too.
  • SageJJ93
    SageJJ93 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    My fav snack is cucumbers, whipped cream cheese, and some everything but the bagel seasoning right on top.

SO good.

Okay so I might steal this idea 😁
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    strawberries
    ritz crisp and thins
    rice cake
    popcorn
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    honeycrisp apples with a little sprinkling of salt, salty pretzel rods or the little pretzel sticks. I love popcorn too, but one serving is NEVER enough. I used to eat an entire bag of the movie theater orville red popcorn with the pour over butter. THE BEST, but looking at the calories on it now, I was eating 720 calories each time just in that! Plus I would down several strawberry twizzlers with it or M & Ms.... I used to do that almost every night. Yikes!
  • yelliezx
    yelliezx Posts: 633 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Coolway ice cream! I have it every night when I'm watching tv. It's a nice sweet treat and only around 360 calories for the whole tub! I'm not a huge ice cream person so successfully manage to eat between and a half and quarter tub but it keeps my snacking at bay. I also like kettlecorn.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Agree with the popcorn suggestion. But I also took up knitting to give my hands something to do other than grab for food. I’ve tired to cut out a lot of the mindless eating I used to do.

100% to the bolded. Cutting out mindless eating/eating in front of a screen can be a great help in weight control.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    If you're just snacking out of habit, and not because you're hungry or trying to fill in some missing nutritional goals for the day, you could try having a no-cal drink. There are a wide range of flavored herbal teas, for example.
  • lois1231
    lois1231 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Flavored mini rice cakes like barbecue, ranch, or sour cream, applesauce, fiber one bars, yougurt, kettle corn 100 calorie bags, cheese, dark chocolate, toast with peanut butter, pretty much anything if it fits in your calories. I listed some of the things I like to snack on.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    You have gotten a lot of good suggestions. Can I suggest that if you have the ability to pause what you are watching that you do so while there is food in your mouth? If you snack while you watch TV you are connecting the two experiences. In your head watching TV may immediately equal having a snack even if you are not physically hungry or have no calories left in the day. That doesn't mean you will forced to snack it just means you may crave something and be unnecessarily disappointed.

What should happen if you pause what you are watching is that the experience becomes irritating for you. The value of the snack will lower unless you are really hungry. What should also happen is that while eating you are more mindful of the food you are consuming. As other mentioned mindless eating is, at least for me, a very bad idea.