Losing weight on Lexapro

Options
alyannie81
alyannie81 Posts: 1 Member
edited September 2019 in Motivation and Support
Hi! I’m new here. I’m on Lexapro for anxiety and have gained ten pounds from it. Does anyone have any tips on how to lose weight while taking medication? I’m having such a hard time with it and my doctor doesn’t really seem to care. (I need to find a new one) I’m so frustrated—I lose three pounds, and then gain it right back. If you have any tips, please let me know. Thanks!

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I'm also on lexapro. It took a few weeks for my body to adjust, then staying in a calorie deficit created weight loss. Another anxiety med had the same effect.

Give it time.
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Do you experience compulsive urges to buy junk food?

If so, I'd suggest "the 2 hour rule". Write down what you want eat at least 2 hours before. If it's not written down, you can't eat it. If you throw away the paper, you can't eat it.

I've had compulsive eating on an antidepressant before, it was pretty bad. Good luck.
  • lorijotrautman
    lorijotrautman Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just tapered off Lexapro due to weight gain. I have been off totally almost 2 weeks now. Sadly, Lexapro works great for my mood but is lousy for my weight. My doctor suggested Prozac, saying they do not see the weight gain as much with that. I filled the Prozac script but have been feeling good being off the meds (and meditating and going to the gym) so I have not taken anything recently. Is it possible for you to try a different medication? I had been on Lexapro before and I always had the weight gain issue. I wish they would come out with something to counteract that side effect because Lexapro works so well for anxiety.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    with most antidepressants, there is a tendency to eat more or eat high calorie foods-like "junk" foods.
    sometimes, it affects your hunger signals. sometimes, you eat more because you are less depressed.
    maintain a deficit. play with what makes you feel satisfied
    the medication itself usually does not make you gain weight.

the only one i couldn't stay on was Remeron. i was ravenous ALL the time.
  • quemalosuerte
    quemalosuerte Posts: 242 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I got off Lexapro in the spring because my husband and I are looking at trying to start a family. I have list 30 lbs since then, but i believe it is more correlation than causation: i also got off birth control, cut down alcohol and pasta, and started jogging in that time. The biggest change is that I am more dedicated to my goals, even though I am struggling to deal with my anxiery and depression still.