Whey the way to go post-workout?

Options
mandeiko
mandeiko Posts: 1,657 Member
It's often asked what to eat after workouts... Not sure how much research backs this, but a short article mentions Whey protein powder is the way to go. Not arguing one thing or the other, but found it interesting and thought I'd share. :smile:

http://www.shape.com/fitness/why-whey-may-be-the-way-to-go-after-a-workout

Replies

• CaffeineGenie
    CaffeineGenie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Whey is recommended because it's convenient, cheap and quickly digested! But many people have some level of lactose intolerance, in which case either whey isolates or a different protein (rice/pea blends for example) are much better.
  • mandeiko
    Options
    Whey is recommended because it's convenient, cheap and quickly digested! But many people have some level of lactose intolerance, in which case either whey isolates or a different protein (rice/pea blends for example) are much better.

Good to know!!
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to look into this. I have been so sore and a friend suggested one of these drinks post workout would really help...
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Not attacking anyone here, but there really is NO substitute for real protein. If you can, real, wholesome food is ALWAYS the way to go.

That being said, I drink whey all the time. Its far more convenient than cooking after a workout ;)

*Edit*

As far as muscle soreness goes, you can limit how sore you get by drinking plenty of water. Most muscle cramps and soreness are actually due to dehydration. Of course... some soreness is to be expected, since you are breaking down the muscle ;)
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    My Dr speculated that my latest kidney stone attack was due to whey protein. 'nuff for me.
  • mandeiko
    Options
    My Dr speculated that my latest kidney stone attack was due to whey protein. 'nuff for me.

Crap, really? Uh oh... I have it everyday...
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options

Your doctor has NO idea what he is talking about then.

Ditch him, and get a new one.

Kidney stones due to protein can happen with ANY protein. Its because you need additional water intake when you increase protein. Eat too much steak, and don't drink enough water, and the same thing could happen. You doctor should know this.
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options

The Mayo clinic agrees with your dr.
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/whey-protein/NS_patient-wheyprotein/DSECTION=safety
    I'm going to be sticking with real food and up my water. My brother has been warned. Thanks.
  • Emma1903
    Emma1903 Posts: 195
    Options
    also chocolate milk is great after workouts