Help! I must lose weight...

Options
Hi,
I am a 49yr old female. I need to lose 20lbs, and I have tried all diets with little success...
I have problems with not feeling full and snacking too much. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
I just started Myfittnesspal.

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the community! 🧡

If you haven’t already, read the stickies at the top of the getting started forum.

All you need to do to lose weight is stay in a calorie deficit.

Buy a food scale. Weigh everything you eat and log into the food diary.

Good luck with your journey!
  • ploomka
    ploomka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I have had excellent luck with cutting sugar, flour, and alcohol. I was not counting calories nor was I eating low fat. I also did not eliminate all carbs, just sugar, flour, and alcohol. For me, I found that without sugar and flour, I obsess about food way less, and I am less hungry. I think my blood sugar was all over the place before. After losing 60 lbs, I feel like I have plateaued a bit, so I am now experimenting with stricter low-carb options and intermittent fasting (16/8).
  • sunflowerray1
    sunflowerray1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the great suggestions! 😁
  • brtgl
    brtgl Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    You've taken a great first step. When I was in that same mode, I logged everything I ate. If at the end of the day I had eaten too much, I'd jog the neighborhood, even if it was 11pm. I weigh each and every morning around the same time. If I went up in weight from yesterday, no ice cream.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    I'm a terrible snacker/grazer, always have been. Would it be easier to do the 6 mini meals instead of 3 main meals? Sometimes that's what I do. It feels much more doable for me if I know there are only 2 more hours til eating, than a whole afternoon. My worst time is after dinner, unless I'm low on calories, then I know I can sneak something else in before bed. Make a list of all the healthy foods you like then choose from those and try not to think about all that other stuff you wish you could have. :)
    I know this time of year is much harder for me; I love holiday and comfort foods. Once I start I can't seem to stop. :( But with a little luck, listing my cals./exercise and replacing junk food with better choices, I can get through without too much trouble.

It's a little ironic that I never realized how good roasted vegetables tasted when my days were so filled with junk food. :) Trying to replace the foods I love with things I'm not crazy about has never really worked for me, such as eating carrot sticks over cookies. But now I'll roast a mixture of veggies and eat those instead or have cucumbers with hummus. You have to substitute foods you're still happy to eat over the ones you shouldn't be indulging in, as much. Save those special treats as umm, special treats.:)

Good luck!!
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,478 Member
    Options
    Eat more higher fiber foods and drink more non-calorie drinks I believe the general recommendation is 25-30g per day and the average American eats about half that.

https://www.ucsfhealth.org/education/increasing-fiber-intake
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    You can eat a lot of veggies for very few calories. Lots of food that will keep you full longer