Really struggling with extreme hunger

Options
Hi! Just for starters a tiny bit of background. Even though I have been on here maybe 3-4 weeks I haven’t updated my trackers- weight hasn’t been updated in a month so I have to get on that. I’m trying to only weigh myself once a month anyways.

That out of the way, I am slowly and consistently losing (clothes are getting looser and I look smaller). I haven’t cut my calories drastically. I was eating roughly 3000-3500 calories a day to maintain my high weight for the last 6-8 months. I tracked while I wasn’t cutting calories so I know that is a fact. I have done several months of tracking and several TDEE calculators and they all say 2500-3000 calorie maintenance for me. I’m 5’10” female 20 years old.

I decided to go with 1800-2000 calories a day which had me losing 2-3lb a week when I was weighing myself the first and second week.

I took a couple days off cutting because my hunger got to an insane level where I couldn’t sleep at night and I couldn’t focus on literally anything else. I ate 3000-3500 calories on these days and didn’t gain any weight.

Is my deficit too aggressive? Is it something diet related? I am eating relatively low carbs and high protein/ fat. I drink only water. I don’t snack. I eat 2-4 big meals a day. I have toyed with the idea of 2 meals a day but I won’t do OMAD. Too restrictive for me (my personal choice).

I would appreciate any insights! Thanks!

Replies

• Privatesandbank
    Privatesandbank Posts: 41 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Hi! Just for starters a tiny bit of background. Even though I have been on here maybe 3-4 weeks I haven’t updated my trackers- weight hasn’t been updated in a month so I have to get on that. I’m trying to only weigh myself once a month anyways.

That out of the way, I am slowly and consistently losing (clothes are getting looser and I look smaller). I haven’t cut my calories drastically. I was eating roughly 3000-3500 calories a day to maintain my high weight for the last 6-8 months. I tracked while I wasn’t cutting calories so I know that is a fact. I have done several months of tracking and several TDEE calculators and they all say 2500-3000 calorie maintenance for me. I’m 5’10” female 20 years old.

I decided to go with 1800-2000 calories a day which had me losing 2-3lb a week when I was weighing myself the first and second week.

I took a couple days off cutting because my hunger got to an insane level where I couldn’t sleep at night and I couldn’t focus on literally anything else. I ate 3000-3500 calories on these days and didn’t gain any weight.

Is my deficit too aggressive? Is it something diet related? I am eating relatively low carbs and high protein/ fat. I drink only water. I don’t snack. I eat 2-4 big meals a day. I have toyed with the idea of 2 meals a day but I won’t do OMAD. Too restrictive for me (my personal choice).

Most likely. 2-3 Lbs per week is very aggressive. 1% of bodyweight at the most, and even that can be too aggressive for some.

I agree. I just am confused because 2000 calories is definitely not starving and this is all because my maintainance is so high. After a few weeks of eating lower calorie my metabolism should adapt to be slightly slower right? I can’t imagine a cut on 2500 calories because I’m not a man and I’m barely overweight. I’ve always lost weight fast naturally and it took 4000-5000 calories a day for months to even gain 10-15 pounds over a year which is half what I am trying to lose. I know having a fast metabolism is great but it’s a double edged sword because it makes me feel starving all the time.

Edit: is a 2200-2500 cut even plausible for a young woman?
  • Privatesandbank
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I haven’t cut my calories drastically.
    Yes you have made a drastic cut.
    If you were maintaining on 3000 - 3500 then 1800 - 2000 is drastic.
    What's the rush?

Is my deficit too aggressive?
    Most likely although you haven't stated your current weight.
    Certainly too aggressive if you are struggling with adherence so soon.

"Is it something diet related? "
    The size of your deficit is the biggest factor but going low carb may also be a factor.

thank you! Helpful! I am not sure I’m “low carb”. I tend to eat mostly meat and vegetables but I eat English muffins and bread everyday usually one small amount at every meal or 2/3 meals. I’m probably getting 100g carb a day but I don’t know for sure bc I don’t track macros.
  • Privatesandbank
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    If you exercise, what % of the calories you earn from exercise do you eat back? If none, start eating 50-100% back.

If that is not applicable, then yes, your deficit is too large. Eat more and enjoy :)

My exercise is next to none. I was at first but then I had to stop bc the running, swimming and weight lifting was making me even more hungry :(
  • Privatesandbank
    Options
    boldknee wrote: »
    1. Is there a particular reason you are eating low carb, high protein and fat? Is that what you ate before? People vary in what macros and eating schedule provides the most satiety. What works for others may be totally wrong for you. Try different combos - especially based on what kept you full in the past.
    2. Hopefully there is no true rush for your weight loss, so you can definitely eat more and lose slower. That's actually a healthy strategy.
    3. Choosing to weigh once a month may be best for you in which case you should stick to it. Sometimes infrequent weighing can miss actual weight loss. I originally weighed monthly, then weekly. I now weigh daily and use a weight trend app. This, for me, has been best because I stress about it less. Even if, like the past week, my weight happens to be the same as one week ago, I can see the trend is actually downward.

Thank you! No there is no rush! I selected 2k calories because it seemed a reasonable non starving amount but it may be too low for me I guess.
  • Privatesandbank
    edited November 2019
    Options

Most likely. 2-3 Lbs per week is very aggressive. 1% of bodyweight at the most, and even that can be too aggressive for some.

I agree. I just am confused because 2000 calories is definitely not starving and this is all because my maintainance is so high. After a few weeks of eating lower calorie my metabolism should adapt to be slightly slower right? I can’t imagine a cut on 2500 calories because I’m not a man and I’m barely overweight. I’ve always lost weight fast naturally and it took 4000-5000 calories a day for months to even gain 10-15 pounds over a year which is half what I am trying to lose. I know having a fast metabolism is great but it’s a double edged sword because it makes me feel starving all the time.

Edit: is a 2200-2500 cut even plausible for a young woman?

If your maintenance is 3000-3500 calories per day then obviously a cut on 2500 is plausible. It doesn't really matter what your gender is...it matters what your maintenance calories are. If you're only trying to lose 5-10 Lbs and you're not obese/morbidly obese then 2-3 Lbs per week is aggressive in the extreme.

Thanks! I will try a couple weeks at 2300-2500 and work my way down to 2000 as I lose. My BMI is only 25 I think? I’m 5’10” and 169lb and I have insane genetics. Even after gaining from 129lb which was my natural weight my whole life without effort to 169 (during an incredibly stressful period where I also wasn’t allowed to exercise for medical reasons) I only went up 3 pant sizes from size 2 to size 8 and I’m still wearing the same shirts, coats etc. Weight can be confusing I guess bc so much is muscle and water. I’m aiming to lose 20-30lb of this weight gain. I realize I probably won’t be 129 again at my height and I have no desire to be but right now my weight is in the “overweight category” according to my doctor. I also get out of breath easily. Thanks so much for the comments.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    If you exercise, what % of the calories you earn from exercise do you eat back? If none, start eating 50-100% back.

If that is not applicable, then yes, your deficit is too large. Eat more and enjoy :)

My exercise is next to none. I was at first but then I had to stop bc the running, swimming and weight lifting was making me even more hungry :(

If you are following MFP's calorie goals, then you are intended to eat back all exercise calories assuming they are calculated accurately.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    If you like exercising and feel the benefit, wouldn't it be better to keep it up and eat a bit more?
    Given all the associated health benefits it seems a shame to quit if you enjoy it.

• lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Above all else, "Listen to your body". If you're hungry all the time, then something isn't right. Common sense says one of two things could be off: The number of daily calories, and/or the macro mix. There's sometimes a 3rd element, psychological, that is, getting used to diet-sized portions of food wherein your brain learns to process hunger signals differently and you kinda learn to ignore or tolerate them and then they diminish, but let's focus on calories and macros here.

You shouldn't be starving on 2,000. I eat less than 2k calories and am gigantically huger than you. I'm hungry sometimes, of course--it's a diet, after all--but not ravenously famished.

If it were me, I would try to establish a comfortable baseline I can then work from and fine tune, entailing a bit more food than the 2000 that we know isn't working, and with a different macro mix. Something like 2200 cals and more carbs. For a few weeks. To see if it works. Your body isn't going anywhere. You can revisit it any time and make further changes.

Low carb, high protein fat does not work for everyone. It works for a lot of people but not everyone. I once mentioned on MFP that I'm doing 35-35-30 carb-fat-protein and there were a lot of people saying they were doing the same -- that's the traditional "balanced" or almost the Zone approach that isn't in high style right now but gets the job done for a lot of people, just basically balanced eating with no particular bias as far as carbs vs fat/protein is concerned. Not saying it's right for you, but maybe you need something more along those lines to feel satisfied. Why don't you try 2200 or perhaps 2300 calories per day with more emphasis on carbs for a few weeks and take it from there. It's really useful to iron out the calorie level and types of foods needed to feel content while dieting, it'll be a useful process for you, I think.

Good luck.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »
    Above all else, "Listen to your body". If you're hungry all the time, then something isn't right. Common sense says one of two things could be off: The number of daily calories, and/or the macro mix. There's sometimes a 3rd element, psychological, that is, getting used to diet-sized portions of food wherein your brain learns to process hunger signals differently and you kinda learn to ignore or tolerate them and then they diminish, but let's focus on calories and macros here.

You shouldn't be starving on 2,000. I eat less than 2k calories and am gigantically huger than you. I'm hungry sometimes, of course--it's a diet, after all--but not ravenously famished.

If it were me, I would try to establish a comfortable baseline I can then work from and fine tune, entailing a bit more food than the 2000 that we know isn't working, and with a different macro mix. Something like 2200 cals and more carbs. For a few weeks. To see if it works. Your body isn't going anywhere. You can revisit it any time and make further changes.

Low carb, high protein fat does not work for everyone. It works for a lot of people but not everyone. I once mentioned on MFP that I'm doing 35-35-30 carb-fat-protein and there were a lot of people saying they were doing the same -- that's the traditional "balanced" or almost the Zone approach that isn't in high style right now but gets the job done for a lot of people, just basically balanced eating with no particular bias as far as carbs vs fat/protein is concerned. Not saying it's right for you, but maybe you need something more along those lines to feel satisfied. Why don't you try 2200 or perhaps 2300 calories per day with more emphasis on carbs for a few weeks and take it from there. It's really useful to iron out the calorie level and types of foods needed to feel content while dieting, it'll be a useful process for you, I think.

Good luck.

I probably have a higher metabolism than you. In fact I’m sure I do. No need to be angry and disagree ❤️

I've never hit the disagree button on mfp. Probably never will.