Headaches from artificial sweeteners

Options
Since I've been on MFP, I've switched to diet sodas....been having headaches ever since. I am prone to migraines and/or regular headaches so I didn't think anything of it right away. Here lately, they're getting worse and it just hit me last night that it's probably the artificial sweetener. I read up on it and I saw that this is common so I'll be cutting those out. I would rather not have a regular soda or juice, does anyone have any alternatives or suggestions on low cal flavored drinks?

Replies

• My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    That stinks, Quiche..... What about lemon, lime, apple, etc. added to your water?
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    La Croix. It's just carbonated water and natural flavor (lemon, lime, grapefruit, etc). No calories, no sweetener.
  • cryssybaby77
    cryssybaby77 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the flavored carbonated water? Walmart and Sams carries it. Its very yummy
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Water.
  • CraigIW
    CraigIW Posts: 176
    Options
    I find that green or fruits teas are a good alternative. I get stiff hands and feet if I drink the diet stuff.
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I have pretty nasty reactions to artificial sweeteners. From headaches to sick stomach to bladder issues! It's not a pretty thing. SO...here are some of my go-to drinks

Plain H2O - really cold; sometimes I add a squeeze of fresh lemon, sometimes a sprig of fresh mint. If you have a big pitcher, you can fill it with water and mint leaves and let it all soak in. It makes a really refreshing cold beverage!

Flavored seltzer - I love Polar seltzer, vanilla. Mint goes great in that too!

Brew up your favorite de-caf herbal teas and chill them. You can mix them with a little seltzer for fizz, and a squeeze of fresh lemon or lime, depending on the flavor combination.

Sometimes I'll do a seltzer with lime and a splash of no-sugar-added cranberry juice. That's very refreshing too!

Good luck with it.
  • rebeccask
    rebeccask Posts: 170
    Options
    flavored fruit drinks are wasted calories. just drink water or add a lemon or cucumber slice.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You might try a different artificial sweetner. If you've been drinking beverages sweetened with aspartme try stevia or Splenda.
  • smcandee
    smcandee Posts: 23
    Options
    Try making your own iced tea. steep a couple of bags in 2 cups of hot water. after it cools add however much cold water u want. (how strong u want it) then add some stevia. I lost 9 lbs just in switching sugar and all sweetners to stevia :)
  • rebeccask
    rebeccask Posts: 170
    Options
    oh and diet drinks are worse off for you than regular. you really shouldn't want to be putting artificial anything in your body. cane sugar is natural and sugar substitutes are all man-made. gross.
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Personally, I can't tolerate Aspartame, Splenda or Stevia. Artificial sweeteners just don't agree with me. But, it's worth a try if you can't live without the sweet drink. Find something that works for you.
  • Sophie983
    Sophie983 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I agree with rebeccak.
    Try to stay away from artificial sweeteners. They are bad for us.
    Try something natural, like agave syrup ...

Make yourself a lemonade or ice tea (without sugar of course) or lime juice.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Just stay the heck away from MIO, that crap me a week long migraine, no lie. I get them, but never like that, I thought I was dying.
  • siulung
    siulung Posts: 15
    Options
    Watch out for any flavoured waters or cabonated waters. They will still have aspartame in them, which is probably what is causing your headaches. Just drinking water may flush out that out of your body. You may also what to try adding liquid Chlorophyll to your water. That will counter-act any acidity in your blood that would be caused by aspartame and many other things. It won't change the taste or your water very much. It might change the texture a bit, but the benefits are really worth it!

We can all get sick of water, so my favourite alternatives are Crystal Light and "G2" Gatorade (A lot less calories and carbs than regular Gatorade)
  • quichebradford
    quichebradford Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! There are some really great suggestions here!
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    True Lemon. It isonly 15 calories and uses Stevia. I just switched last week as I'm purging my diet of all artificial sweeteners.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    You might try a different artificial sweetner. If you've been drinking beverages sweetened with aspartme try stevia or Splenda.

Actually, Stevia is from a plant and natural.