Help Me! I'm a Beer Monster!!!

Options
124»

Replies

• jjardina
    Options
    Me too and I drink Guinness. I'm not on MFP that long so feel free to ignore me but....

I have cut the booze down to Saturday and Sunday only, replaced some of the beer with wine and excercise lots on Sat/Sun in advance of drinking. I always keep under my permitted cals and am losing weight.

Yes, I run for beer and I'm not afraid to admit it.

Good luck.

Yeah, wine, especially red is a better alternative. Sometimes I just have to a beer tho. I'm basically doing the same thing you are, holding my drinking for the weekend. I dont know tho, one bad day at work could possibly ruin that plan... will power, will power..
  • PhilipByrne
    PhilipByrne Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Me too and I drink Guinness. I'm not on MFP that long so feel free to ignore me but....

I have cut the booze down to Saturday and Sunday only, replaced some of the beer with wine and excercise lots on Sat/Sun in advance of drinking. I always keep under my permitted cals and am losing weight.

Yes, I run for beer and I'm not afraid to admit it.

Good luck.

Yeah, wine, especially red is a better alternative. Sometimes I just have to a beer tho. I'm basically doing the same thing you are, holding my drinking for the weekend. I dont know tho, one bad day at work could possibly ruin that plan... will power, will power..

Yeah, me too. I'm only a few weeks in, so I'm not promising anything. By the way, love the picture of 'The Dude' or was it 'El Duderino'?
  • ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    Switch to pot... it's not any safer, but far fewer calories man...

I love the beer too; I have a 12 pack in the fridge right now. Its been in there for 3 days tempting me, but when I get the urge I go work out or play with the kids... I also drink a lot of water. I just started this week, so I don't know how long I can keep my fingers off the long necks. I try not to think about it. I might go buy a fifth of Jack and have a couple of shots on the weekend to get my groove on and then one beer to nurse for about an hour or two.

Honestly, its all about moderation.

Friend me, and the zombie chick too. We seem to have the same tastes. :drinker:

I'm gonna need to know more about you than this Dude stuff that's all over your profile. And you need a real picture!
  • skittybang
    skittybang Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I work out so I can have my beer. I'll drink the light stuff, but I prefer something with something in it. ha! So work out a lot and then get sshmashedd
  • DeenaSteelerGirl
    Options
    I switched to MGD 64 ! Will not give up my beer.. no way. And I have lost 28 lbs. So it can be done. Hey we need to be friends.. since we a both Beer Monsters Will send a request... LOL. :tongue:
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    WOW............you guys totally rock!

I've been on here about two weeks, and not really said much about alcohol (beer in particular) cuz I figured you'd all poo-pooh it and say YOU CAN'T DRINK and lose weight! But........it's nice to see the honesty and REALITY around here! Love it!

That said, I love me a beer or two (or more) at least a couple of times a week. And light beer? NO WAY! I enjoy a rum 'n' coke from time to time, too (and NO DIET POP in my life!) So, what's a girl to do?

I've been counting it in my daily tally, and trying to do a bit more exercise to cover.............and eating less on beer days! I am losing weight - maybe not as fast as I'd like, but that's the price I pay to ENJOY my beer and my life! I also have found that a couple of vodka drinks (vanilla vodka with a tinge of ginger ale and sparkling water - comes in at about 95 calories) fits the bill, too.

I never wanted to change my LIFE.........I just want to lose a few pounds.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Light beer isn't light in alcohol, you know. Coors Light is 4.2%, for example.
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Baby steps. Don't cut it immediately, and for the love of GOD!!!! don't switch to some crap light beer, you'll just drink more to satisfy the emptyness. Little steps lead to bigger steps and quality over quantity prevails. If you love beer and know it's your vice make simple steps to REDUCE your intake. Reward yourself with positive choices. Make sure your exercising, don't have beer before your exercise or you will become lazy and just drink more beer. First figure out how much you drink daily/weekly on average. If you drink 2-3 beer per day 5 days per week, reduce to 1 -2 beer per day 3 days per week. The next week drop to 1 beer per day 2 days per week. Reducing anything is better than nothing. A beer is between 100 calories and 180 depending on your choice. 3500 calories make 1 pound. If you drink a 130 calorie beer 2 per day 5 days per week that's 1300 calories a week. In 2.7 weeks you'll have gained a pound. Reverse that ... to 1 beer per day 3 days per week and you've eliminated 910calories, in just shy of 4 weeks you will have lost a pound. If you're ok with droping to a lighter beer do that too.
  • Kimdbro
    Options
    WOW............you guys totally rock!

I've been on here about two weeks, and not really said much about alcohol (beer in particular) cuz I figured you'd all poo-pooh it and say YOU CAN'T DRINK and lose weight! But........it's nice to see the honesty and REALITY around here! Love it!

That said, I love me a beer or two (or more) at least a couple of times a week. And light beer? NO WAY! I enjoy a rum 'n' coke from time to time, too (and NO DIET POP in my life!) So, what's a girl to do?

I've been counting it in my daily tally, and trying to do a bit more exercise to cover.............and eating less on beer days! I am losing weight - maybe not as fast as I'd like, but that's the price I pay to ENJOY my beer and my life! I also have found that a couple of vodka drinks (vanilla vodka with a tinge of ginger ale and sparkling water - comes in at about 95 calories) fits the bill, too.

I never wanted to change my LIFE.........I just want to lose a few pounds.
    Sparkling water and vodka/lime works, or vodka water with crystal light also very low calorie. Beer isn't the devil, enojoy. Skinny people drink beer. Unless you're drinking copious amounts on a daily basis (which would be a whole other problem ;) it's no different than having a slice of bread. Keep active, make sound food choices and enjoy the odd drink. Life's too short to completely sack the good stuff. I will elimintate eating McDonalds and save my heart and the 1100 calorie/33 g fat... but I'll be damned if I give up a 110 glass of wine, or 130 cal beer, or 75 shot of vodka. I'd lose my mind. LOL.
  • Kimdbro
    Options
    If you truly love beer, then I say drink beer. But earn it with exercise. I suppose I am a wine monster. I love wine and I drink it every day. It also will (and did) add weight if I'm not regularly exercising. So now I work out every day and I drink wine every day. And I'm back down to a weight I'm comfortable with and still losing a lb or two per month.

As for the take away food, my suggestion is to have plenty of healthy food on hand. If you are drinking in a bar this is HARD, as I'm sure you know. But if you are stopping at a drive thru after leaving the bar, then keep a bag of almonds or some other healthy munchie in your car. Snack on that till you get home. And have healthy foods that you like on hand at home.
    Very good advice. Many a drink night has been crushed by midnight cravings for the grease. The 650 calories consumed in beer (but perhaps burned off in 60 minutes on the eliptical earlier) completely overshadowed by the 1200 calorie nacho platter ordered, or the 1300 calorie drivethru decision!! EEp!
  • kyodi
    kyodi Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    The only thing about having vodka and other spirits is that the glasses are always so tiny so it's gone before you know it.

Wait: you're supposed to put the vodka in a glass? I've been swigging off the bottle. No problems. Except sometimes I wake up without pants. So I guess my only problem is having to always buy new pants.
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I switched to MGD 64 ! Will not give up my beer.. no way. And I have lost 28 lbs. So it can be done. Hey we need to be friends.. since we a both Beer Monsters Will send a request... LOL. :tongue:

I switched to the 64's to it is kinda like drinking water that someone spilled a drop of beer into...LOL. Seriously if I drink during the week I have this and always work it into my calorie allowance. I do enjoy the good stuff on the weekends but don't over do it. I miss you Blue Moon Beer!
  • kyodi
    kyodi Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Coors Lite FTW!

Agreed. I reach for the Coors light, and if they don't have that Miller Lite as it's only about 10 cals more than the Coors light.
  • atkinsondp56
    Options
    If you're fairly new to this, you might try starting out with just entering your numbers for each beer that you have. Once you've plugged in your goal for how much you're wanting to lose, the program will give you a targeted number of calories as your daily goal.

I've begun to think of that as my "$20" for the day. I can "buy" (with calories) anything that I want, but when the $20 is done, it's done...almost. I can get "coupons" to make my $20 go farther each day by exercising. For me, it didn't take long to start paying attention to what the food (or in your case, the beer) was costing me.

And instead of telling myself "I can't" which usually means "I'm going to anyway", I tell myself "I can IF" and then I get to choose.

May not work for you but it's helped me.
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    The only thing about having vodka and other spirits is that the glasses are always so tiny so it's gone before you know it.

Wait: you're supposed to put the vodka in a glass? I've been swigging off the bottle. No problems. Except sometimes I wake up without pants. So I guess my only problem is having to always buy new pants.

NOW that there was FUNNY!!! :laugh: :laugh: