Hot yoga

Options
I would like anyone’s thoughts on hot yoga or yoga in general. Experience, interest.

Replies

• shewhoismany
    shewhoismany Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    It's not for me but my sister-in-law loves it.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I tried it expecting it to be all relaxing and zen like. NOPE!

It totally kicked my butt. Guess it's just not my thing.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    just started a couple weeks ago and I like certain types....not sure of all the names, but the one where you go through like 100 positions/poses in a class is not for me!! (i started going for a break/relief from all my usual workouts and going from one pose to the next every few seconds I just don't understand)...been doing hot yin yoga which is much more relaxing (holding each stretch for longer) and I love it!

OP, have you tried it? doesn't really matter if anyone else likes/hates it - it only matters if you do.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan.
    the risk of injury is higher due to hyperextension.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I love it, but I love to sweat. I feel so amazing afterwards, but it is difficult and you sweat a lot so if you don't like sweating it's not for you.
  • tracybear86
    tracybear86 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I love it, but I love to sweat. I feel so amazing afterwards, but it is difficult and you sweat a lot so if you don't like sweating it's not for you.
    Agreed!
    OP - If you try it make sure you take/borrow a yoga towel for your mat. I forgot mine one day and was slipping and sliding all over the place! Not safe. :#
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of sweating. I prefer comfortably warm-but-not-too-warm-because-you're-exercising-and-you-get-a-little-warmer-when-you-exercise-so-it's-better-to-have-it-a-bit-cool yoga.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I passed out the one and only time I did hot yoga. I blame low blood pressure and the heat.

"Yoga in general" is too broad - I can talk about gentle, restorative, beginner, Iyengar, Astanga, Jivan Mukti, Kripalu, Power, Sivananda, Bhakti and Karma Yoga. Pick a style that resonates with you and practice :)

Here: Yoga and the Quest for the True Self
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    just started a couple weeks ago and I like certain types....not sure of all the names, but the one where you go through like 100 positions/poses in a class is not for me!! (i started going for a break/relief from all my usual workouts and going from one pose to the next every few seconds I just don't understand)...been doing hot yin yoga which is much more relaxing (holding each stretch for longer) and I love it!

OP, have you tried it? doesn't really matter if anyone else likes/hates it - it only matters if you do.

Any "flow" style will have lots of positions.
  • EHollander89
    EHollander89 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I prefer hot yoga. I like the heat, the sweating, and the deep stretching. Some studios offer different types of classes, so maybe try out a few different options to see what you like.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Yoga is a pretty broad term and there are so many different kinds. Yoga isn't something I do for regular exercise, but I do restorative yoga once per week (or at least try). It's more about mindfulness and de-stressing thing than it is physical. It's only 5 or 6 poses and you hold them for more extended periods of time and use props and whatnot so you can fully relax.

I've never done hot yoga, but I don't think it would be for me...namely because I just want to relax when I'm doing yoga.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I've never done hot yoga, but I just did a "room temperature yoga" class over lunch. I enjoy it. I think of it as active rest and an addition to my weekly flexibility training. And it gets me away from my desk for an hour, so that's a plus. It's company-sponsored, so it's probably not as intense as a regular class would be.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,426 Member
    Options
    The first few times I did hot yoga, I thought I was gonna die. I’d done “regular” yoga for several years at that point.

Now I love it and the more I sweat, the better. I like hot Pilates for the same reason.

I often do multiple classes a day.

Do hydrate, especially before a class. Even today, I got a bit wombly and dizzy coming up out of a long wide legged forward fold, and I should know better. It’s flipping freezing here and I swapped my usual ice-filled and hydrating breakfast smoothie for avacado toast and bacon and forgot to water up.