How has your pet benefited from your healthy changes?

Options
ploomka
ploomka Posts: 308 Member
My pug gets a really good walk every morning now. I actually needed to increase his food a slight bit because of all his extra exercise. Check out these then and now pics (May 2019 and today):

eygvv5jeixr5.jpg

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Awww!! He looks slimmer and I'm sure is healthier. Cute fur baby!

I know my boyfriend's dog has benefited from his 90 lbs. loss... They go running all the time, they actually ran 26 miles this weekend!

I'm not sure how much my cats have benefited, I guess they like all the home cooking I do, they are always gathered around wanting scraps haha.

Haha, yeah, I spend more time in the kitchen, and that's where my cat's food bowl is. I think she thinks she's going to get fed if I go into the kitchen, so I think I might be making her a bit fatter.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    I've never given any of my dogs table scraps as all but the current two have been slightly overweight. One was hypothyroid and definitely couldn't eat more than his proper food.

Now that I'm increasing my fruit and veg intake by deliberate snacking, I feel okay about giving the dogs a snap pea or a baby carrot here and there. So they now get to share my snacks.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    @ploomka Bless you for conditioning him to his blindness and talking him for walks. That’s a very lucky dog. 🧡
  • LyndaBSS
    Options
    @NovusDies I just adopted a 5 year old husky shepherd hound mix who was never leash trained. I’ve got her on a Gentle Leader (halti) and it’s really helped. Perhaps you should consider it for your pup. 😉
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    @NovusDies I just adopted a 5 year old husky shepherd hound mix who was never leash trained. I’ve got her on a Gentle Leader (halti) and it’s really helped. Perhaps you should consider it for your pup. 😉

I have one I just haven't done much more than introduce him to it yet. It is kind of a tricky situation with him because he has anxiety and he shuts down if the training method alarms him in any way. He is improving on the leash without it but it is hardly to my standards yet which I admit are quite high. The GL may still come into play if he doesn't turn another corner soon on improvement.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    @ElizabethKalmbach

My dog's anxiety has decreased as his trained accomplishments have increased. He has more confidence now. It is still a problem but at one time he was terrified of everything including changes in the house or yard. Early in his time with us his harness got wet in the rain and I hung it from the doorknob to air dry overnight. He pitched a fit when he saw it hanging there. He was scared to go near the door because it was different. A storm blew a tree over in the yard. He pitched a fit when he saw it and once he finally got used to it he pitched a fit when we walked out and it was suddenly gone even though he barked incessantly while watching it be removed from a window.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    @NovusDies Yep. Been there. I have a soft spot for rescues with weird problems like "terror of leaves."

Washy has gotten MUCH less terrified of my husband in the last year, which is great, because I'm about to go out of town for 3 days, and I don't want him to be afraid for that long. I'm amazed he's not gotten fat from all the food bribes my husband has given him, trying to make friends.

Wash does OK outside now as long as I don't go during rush hour, and when he panics, I have to grab him and wrap him up in a tight hug before he can work himself into a full anxiety attack. So I have to be REALLY attentive - no extra equipment, no ear buds, just me and the dogs, with an eagle eye on his ears and sight line for things that might wig him out. When we go past worrisome things I have to talk him through it and keep his ears back toward me, listening for his commands and reassurance. If I lose his attention, I have to get ready to pounce.

When he's leashed to my girl, he usually checks HER for signs of concern, and if she's not interested, he's usually OK. If she's INTERESTED, I have to pay attention because she might try to CATCH a squirrel, and he might be horrified by the same squirrel. My 3 oz, paraplegic chipmunk terrorizes him (a 50 lb hound mix) and can easily corner him inside his crate. AND THEN SHE CAN COME RIGHT THROUGH THE BARS. She's an awful bully.

Slow and steady, just like strength building. He's getting a little better all the time.
  • ploomka
    Options
    Thanks so much to all who shared!! So fascinating to read about everyone’s different experiences with their pets! I’m awfully lucky with my pets, who are all so easy. Even tho my pug is blind, he’s so chill.
  • ploomka
    Options
    @NovusDies your dog reminds me of my cat, Pooka. We bought a bird feeder to hang outside the window by his cat tree. Have you ever seen the cat cucumber videos? Pooka reacted similarly - like the bird feeder was some invading predator come to attack him. :D
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    My cats don't give a toss. Typical.

Yep. In fact, I'm sure they resent the fact I don't have a fat stomach to knead anymore. Cats are not about the fitness life.
  • LyndaBSS
    edited November 2019
    Options
    😆 too funny!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!