Never thought about it but I was a binge eater

I never thought of it but I guess I was a binge eater. Now that I have lost 72-73 pounds with just 10-15 more to go I think back to what the hell I was doing to myself. I would eat pretty normal at work, so 5 days a week at work during the day being limited to my access to food I would eat pretty normal. Now I say for then it was normal, my standards now it would be WAY too much and unhealthy. When I got home I would eat like the world was ending soon. I just calculated what I think I ate in just calories when I got home from work. I would say a guestimate for the day at work, 1,000 calories but I really have no idea. When I got home I would say I ate somewhere around 3,000 calories.
I would eat cold cut sandwiches with mayo on bagels or rolls/sub type roll. Yes that is multiple sandwiches with mayo, full fat mayo. I would probably have 2 and half of them. I would say each sandwich was around a 1,000 calories and God only knows how much fat. Then I would eat again later on because I get home from work early.
So that is binge eating correct? Would you classify it that way? How the heck I changed that I don't know but thank goodness I did. That all was a recipe for trouble, BIG freaking trouble. Diabetes, hypertension and more.

Replies

• missy2kids
    missy2kids Posts: 1 Member
    I'm in the same boat!!!! Been dealing with the same thing. I can eat and eat and eat until no return. I'm starting over again today drinking water and eating good. Will try to exercise today too.
  • OAS5
    OAS5 Posts: 374 Member
    Ya know it's funny you guys mention hunger, I never really felt hungry. I was almost a bottomless pit. In ate for taste definitely and I could eat a lot. I guess your saying maybe I want a "binge eater". Thanks for all the replies.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    I have not been diagnosed(live in the sticks with no access) but my binges are not normal meals. I do not plan them. But suddenly I have eaten half a jar of pb on saltines, a pkg of Oreos, all the fruit in the house, etc. If you are making choices about what you are eating I, personally would not think that is a binge. When you eat with no control until in severe pain and keep eating, that is closer.
  • OAS5
    Thanks guys, I think you are right. I think it was just nothing over eating. I had no idea how much went into binge eating.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    you remind me of my husband with all that sandwich eating. I am more of a sweet junk food eater that I have had to give up. I think a lot of it is just a bad habit especially eating at night.
  • OAS5
    brenn24179 wrote: »
    you remind me of my husband with all that sandwich eating. I am more of a sweet junk food eater that I have had to give up. I think a lot of it is just a bad habit especially eating at night.

Yeah, I think it's a Italian thing but I rarely eat sandwichs anymore and it's never cold cuts and NEVER ever mayo. Definitely was just bad habits and overeating.
  • OAS5
    Thanks guys, I think you are right. I think it was just nothing over eating. I had no idea how much went into binge eating.

We don’t mean to trivialize what you’re going through. Overeating is a tough thing to overcome on its own. However, saying that your experience is binge eating kind of normalizes binge eating, when it reality binge eating has a whole different layer of compulsion and emotions behind it. I would just be afraid that if we treat binge eating and overeating the same, that those with serious binge eating issues would be less likely to seek help because they would think they just didn’t have enough willpower to overcome it - that their problem is common, when it is not nearly as common as general overeating.

I agree and honestly had no idea how much went into it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    I never thought of it but I guess I was a binge eater. Now that I have lost 72-73 pounds with just 10-15 more to go I think back to what the hell I was doing to myself. I would eat pretty normal at work, so 5 days a week at work during the day being limited to my access to food I would eat pretty normal. Now I say for then it was normal, my standards now it would be WAY too much and unhealthy. When I got home I would eat like the world was ending soon. I just calculated what I think I ate in just calories when I got home from work. I would say a guestimate for the day at work, 1,000 calories but I really have no idea. When I got home I would say I ate somewhere around 3,000 calories.
    I would eat cold cut sandwiches with mayo on bagels or rolls/sub type roll. Yes that is multiple sandwiches with mayo, full fat mayo. I would probably have 2 and half of them. I would say each sandwich was around a 1,000 calories and God only knows how much fat. Then I would eat again later on because I get home from work early.
    So that is binge eating correct? Would you classify it that way? How the heck I changed that I don't know but thank goodness I did. That all was a recipe for trouble, BIG freaking trouble. Diabetes, hypertension and more.

You can pry my full fat mayo (and cheese) from my cold, dead hands :lol:
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    This is a quick yet eye opening look at binge eating for sure.

I don't think I was ever a binge eater but I definitely overate. Much like the OP, I can relate to snacking way too much and then still eating regular or large meals plus decadent desserts. One of my biggest cringes on starting MFP was realizing my go to meal at Applebees has more calories than I need in 2 days. I thought nothing of getting boneless honey BBQ wings with ranch, sharing bacon cheese fries, and then eating the maple walnut blondie sundae. I truly did not even think that was a big deal. Other days I ate a ham sandwich and pudding cup and I still felt "full" from the overeating the previous day. This is why my hunger cues were poor, and still are not great (in my opinion) even as I maintain a major loss.
  • OAS5
    This is a quick yet eye opening look at binge eating for sure.

I don't think I was ever a binge eater but I definitely overate. Much like the OP, I can relate to snacking way too much and then still eating regular or large meals plus decadent desserts. One of my biggest cringes on starting MFP was realizing my go to meal at Applebees has more calories than I need in 2 days. I thought nothing of getting boneless honey BBQ wings with ranch, sharing bacon cheese fries, and then eating the maple walnut blondie sundae. I truly did not even think that was a big deal. Other days I ate a ham sandwich and pudding cup and I still felt "full" from the overeating the previous day. This is why my hunger cues were poor, and still are not great (in my opinion) even as I maintain a major loss.

Yes, this is exactly. 90% of the battle is being conscience of what you are doing, what you are eating. Its really a big thing when you get that under control.