Watch Those Meds When You Lose Weight

Options
I lost over 100 lbs originally. I'm up about 13 pounds currently but I encountered some strange issues in the last year. About 6 months ago my blood pressure skyrocketed. I had gone off my meds 2 years ago when I reached goal weight per instructions from my doctor. So he put me back on. I was really struggling, hungry, hyper, mood swings, high blood pressure, sleeplessness and stomach problems. I felt like I was losing it. A few months ago he did a routine check of my thyroid levels. Turns out I was on too much Synthroid. Losing 100 pounds made a huge difference. I'm just sharing this for anyone else who starts to have weird symptoms after losing alot of weight. Make sure you check with your doctor before changing anything on your own. He/she is the expert but it might be that you don't need the same dosage you were on before. Finally I can sleep again!

Replies

• JenniferM1234
    JenniferM1234 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    That is a great reminder, you are kind to spread it around.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    This is a good reminder. I lost weight and didn't change my thyroid meds. IT wasn't a problem, AFAIK. However this year something odd is going on with my health in terms of energy (lack of) and temperature regulation (way out of whack). When I see my doctor in a month or two, I'll ask about this.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Why did you quit vaping?
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Cheryldumais, thanks for the heads up. I'm always making mental notes of things to ask the Doc on my next visit but when the time comes I forget to bring the notes. So I have a folder for him next to the desktop computer and when I think of something I drop a note in the folder. Might not bring them all up in the appointment but gives me a chance to consider each one beforehand.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Good reminder. Probably a good idea to ask doc about dosing changes after losing a lot because they might not think about it. Some meds are more sensitive to this than others.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    It is a good reminder. I just went through a medication drop that should have happened at least 3 weeks sooner but I didn't connect the intermittent bad days I was having with the medication fast enough.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    Great reminder.

I'd note that not everyone varies on the same drugs in the same way. My thyroid med dosage didn't change for example - TSH steady all the way from obese to healthy weight, tested regularly - but obviously that's not true for everyone!
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Why did you quit vaping?

I thought it was the reason my blood pressure was elevated, lol. Now I know it was the excess synthroid.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    This is a good reminder. I lost weight and didn't change my thyroid meds. IT wasn't a problem, AFAIK. However this year something odd is going on with my health in terms of energy (lack of) and temperature regulation (way out of whack). When I see my doctor in a month or two, I'll ask about this.

Don't set yourself on the notion that it must be the thyroid meds. If thyroid looks normal, have them check a few vitamin levels as well. Thyroid is my *usual* suspicion from years of paranoia over hashimotos irregularity, but my last symptom set (mirroring what you describe) was, in fact, very low iron. >_< Which is utterly odd considering the amount of meat I eat, but some thyroid patients also demonstrate poor nutrient uptake, and it appears I'm on that list.

I've had a couple different instances where I thought maybe my med levels were off, but it's turned out to be a vitamin deficiency. So if it doesn't turn out to be your thyroid correction, check vitamin levels.