SBF Reboot Boogaloo August 29

Options
New week my friends! Yay!

You know V, I can't believe it's almost September either. I'm not ready...as far as bringing home our daughter. I am ready for cooler temps which look like they are coming on Friday. Just 94* that day. :wink: We did get a sprinkle this morning though!

So I had way too much sweet stuff this weekend. Friends were involved. It's their fault. :tongue: One of my goals is to cut back on the sweets this week. Another goal is to do P90X, a little everyday, even if it's only 15 minutes. Third goal: get settled in the new house. This goal may actually carry into next week but I am hoping to get a bulk of it done this week. Goal four: drink lots of water. Goal: five, spend time each day with my guys. This one has been difficult lately with trying to get the house in order.
I have debating logging my food, but I know that just by cutting back on the sweets I will be doing a lot better with my eating. I am also going to be accountable to my friend Ali who is also trying to lose weight by doing WW.
The landlady emailed again yesterday. She said our mower is too low and we are killing the grass. :grumble: Then she told us to move the sprinkler system from 10 to 15 minutes. I am really trying not to get it get to me, but it's trying my patience. We are now limited to running water to twice a week. Almost any yard is going to die with those kind of restrictions unless you water it for hours. I was tempted to write back and tell her if she wants we will water it for 30-60 minutes on those two days and she can help pay the water bill, but I didn't.
One thing I've learned over the last three years. A person may acquire patience in one area (such as waiting to bring a child home from another country), but that patience does not seem to carry over into other areas of life, at least not very much. I will never have enough patience for all the things thrown my way. It will always be growing, but I will never attain. That is okay as long as I am always growing.

Growing up boogaloo.

Replies

• lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Wow, MM. . .that's tough. I think if she's in charge of how much you water the lawn, she needs to pay for the water. Also, in drought conditions, grass dies. Sorry.

Get together was a success, so late start today.

For today: work sessions (to start immediately after I type this)
    in between work sessions, gorilla trainer (I'm going back and doing it from the beginning, until I can finish the workouts)
    making better food choices than yesterday (which involved the terrible trifecta of sweets, chips and alcohol)
    getting a walk in

that seems like enough.

Oh, also water to rehydrate and get the bad stuff out of system.

My other hope: to hear from a boss about my fall work (hey, it could happen).

Recovery day, boogaloo.:flowerforyou:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    I agree with V on this one, MM - if she wants you to water "x" amount, she helps pay the bill. Sounds like she's micro-managing. Very annoying.

Hope you hear about your job soon, V. It's nonsense that you don't know months ahead of time.

I'm back from Corpus. We didn't stay as long as planned. Long story, but I'm back in time for yoga. I want to get a walk in too. The road, the sun, and 110 degrees makes me tired.

Road tired, boogaloo.
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,696 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

I may end up talking to the landlady about sharing in the water bill, if she increases the watering more. We agreed to 10-15 minutes every three days when we signed the lease. But if she wants more then I will say something. At least we've been getting sprinkles! Two mornings in a row! :bigsmile: :love:
    V, I hope you hear something soon about your fall schedule. How frustrating that would be.
    Mary, glad you didn't have to be gone as long.
    CP, Mummsy, Livi, come back!
    I had wondered about our thread. What if we went to a full month instead of just a week? There would be more pages of course but we wouldn't have to find the thread as often (although posting it in the news feed on the home page is an incredible help!). I'm not saying I don't like this. I'm fine with it. I was just wondering.
    Yesterday some news made me very very happy and maybe a little disappointed too. :laugh: You may have seen where I posted it on FB, but one of the Russian orphans that I have been following and praying for the last year (and wanted to adopt if the Lord allowed) has found her family! I love how it was an "accident" that she came on the trip. God is good!
    I did a little better on my eating yesterday, and I was super hungry when I woke up this morning. I did not get in all the water I needed, though I did drink some every time I passed by the kitchen while cleaning the house (which was a lot). I need to work on that again today. So today my plan is to drink water, get some more cleaning done, hopefully a plyometrics work out, and running all my Tuesday errands. Tonight I can chill out. :smile:

Happy happy, joy joy boogaloo!
  • yoginimary
    Options
    MM - I'm good with going to once a month or staying once a week. The other boogalooers need to check in!

Corpus was incredibly hot. So hot that when I went for a walk yesterday morning (8:30am?) my shirt bled into my armpits - which are now bright pink. We are going back next Monday after the free day of yoga.

Today: early bike ride, late swim. Maybe some yoga in-between.

The weather forecasters are taunting us. We go from a 40% chance of rain to 20%. I think they just want us to check often.

They will taunt us another time, boogaloo.
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    Still no news, grr. I seem to remember being in exactly the same deal last year at this time. I wish I could just be "meh, let it go", but it annoys me to NO END! especially since I'll be gone for over a week so soon after the term starts, which makes me feel like a slacker, even though it's their fault. OK, mini-rant over.

I typed up a little thing yesterday with all of my deadlines/trips/important things and dates on it from now until the end of the year. Then I looked at it, and everything went dark. When I came to, I realized "Whoa. That's really a LOT." My strategies for dealing with the way that my, um Professional (?) life is ramping up is to really start to make sure that I'm eating (and not just figs or grapes and chocolate, my current writing snacks M.O.). making time for exercise, and staying focused on one thing at a time, work wise. So, I'm just looking at one project/one deadline at a time. Yesterday, I got a new contract to write two articles for another encyclopedia, so that's very cool. Now I just have to find the time to write them. No pressure, right.:wink: I have a friend who always yells (jokingly) at me "NEVER look at the big picture!"

So, today's small-ish picture is:

Finish the slides for my November presentation (almost done with these).
    Go for a walk (beautiful day outside today)
    Write a cover letter/emails to ask for recommendation letters for a job app packet.
    start a chapter revision on the first chapter I wrote to send it to the last advisor to see it.

ugh, that's enough.

Small pictures (snapshots?), boogaloo.:flowerforyou:

p.s. I'm all for once a month, as then it would be less searching for the threads. . .also

WHERE MY OTHER PEBBS AT? xo, v. (no judgment, only love.:heart: )
  • yoginimary
    Options
    Ok, let's start the new thread Sept 1st, Thursday.
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    Ok, let's start the new thread Sept 1st, Thursday.

AAAAAAAIIIIiiiiiiiigggghhhh!!!!

Faints at this info, falls over.
  • mechanicmom
    Options
    You okay V? You didn't hit your head when you fainted did you? :wink:

Update: uh, there is no update. I haven't done anything yet. :laugh: Getting started on that right now. Bedroom and living room cleaning coming up and hopefully some plyometrics if I have any spare energy and mojo.

Checking on V boogaloo. :wink:
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    I'm OK. Just leave me here. . .I'll be fine. (fans self, breathes deeply falls into a deep, deep denial):wink:
  • cp005e
    cp005e Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! I'm still here, just not doing anything that feels stronger or better or faster lately! As you probably saw on FB, I broke my thumb. While this is a tremendous bummer and makes me feel very anxious and sorry for myself, I am trying to focus on the positive.
    Positive #1: I broke my left thumb, and I am right-handed. It would have been so much more difficult if it were my right!
    Positive #2: The doctor seemed satisfied from my x-ray yesterday that the bone isn't getting "displaced", so at this point it looks like I will avoid surgery. (given the location and angle of the break, after doing a bunch of research online Sunday night - coupled with the warnings I had already received from the doc - I had been pretty convinced that I'd end up needing a couple pins) So - Hooray!

NYC was pretty cool. It would have been more fun with my husband there, but it is always amazing to just walk around and absorb the energy of that city. I managed the subway, went to a show, went to a museum, and then decided on Friday (when my class finished up early, partly due to everyone's eagerness to travel ahead of the storm) that it was worth $40 to get a guaranteed seat on the earlier flight instead of waiting 7 hours in the airport. Home early, +1. :smile:

I'm with V on September, though. The next couple weeks will probably be crazy for me at work, since they are finally rolling out a major upgrade that everyone has been working on for over a year. Just hoping that there won't be too many unpredicted disasters/emergencies that I have to try and troubleshoot with whole departments (or upper management) breathing down my neck. I do my job with lots of preparation and forethought so I can avoid that sort of stress... but that doesn't mean it can't still be thrust upon me! :wink:

MM, I agree that your landlady should back off or pay the water bill herself. Why would anybody try to grow grass in Texas anyway?! :noway:

So, my current goals are: take my calcium (bone growth!), cut back on my caffeine (also for healing - I drink way too much coffee/diet soda), and get out for at least 3 breaks/walks during the day.

Focus on the positive, boogaloo. :flowerforyou:
  • mechanicmom
    Options
    CP checked in! Yay! :bigsmile: I feel bad for you and your broken finger. However it is very good news that it was not your dominant hand and you aren't going to need surgery! Glad you got home safely too!

I had goals for today but that may have changed. I went out to hook up the soaker hose to the faucet and pulled a muscle in my lower back. :angry: I must be getting older. I have hurt my back before but I don't remember bending over and having a spasm in it or whatever it is. I took Ibuprofen and I am now on the heating pad for a bit.
    So my goals for the day were: finish cleaning the house! Yes I am that close! Go buy a bookshelf for Alex's room so I can get his books off the floor. Drink lots of water. P90X. Go to church. My goals now? I don't know. It depends on my back. It may be fine in a few minutes...or it may not be. I won't overdo it today though.
    Steve told me there is a "cubby hole" in our bedroom under the stairs, but I had never taken the time to look in there. I thought it was just a small hole. No. There is a storage room under the stairs. Cool! It even has a pull string light! Now Alex is obsessed with it and wants me to vacuum it out so he can go in there. :huh: Yeah, not feeling that so much. I don't want it to turn into a hiding place or playroom for two five year olds.
    Cool discovery boogaloo!
  • yoginimary
    Options
    Slowly gets up off the floor as August draws to a close. Completely understands snow birds (or sun birds) and would like a house up north from May-September. I'll live here October-April.

MM - I don't have back pain, but I would try making an "L" against the wall with your legs up, body on the floor. Usually feels great on the back because it releases the psoas and the iliacus muscles.

I miss you CP! Come see us often.

Today: teach and take yoga + walk. We are still being taunted by the weather forecasters. Now we are going to approach 100 degrees this weekend (instead of 94, which would feel down right chilly at this point). If it rains, all is forgiven though. When we went swimming last night, the water felt cool. They've been running a system to cool the water down (shoots water into the air, evaporation cools it), so it was probably close to 79-80 degrees in the pool.:wink:

Cooler weather is relative, boogaloo.
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    Happy Wednesday, my pebbs!

I've declared today a day off from braining. I have a therapy appointment downtown, and then my husband is meeting me and we're going to the CNE, which is essentially a state fair on steroids. It's part of my "OK, summer is really over ritual" I've been performing this week. Yesterday I went and bought a pair of dress shoes to wear to my presentation or job interviews. Stuff like that.

I'm wondering if we should re-name the challenge, or at least label it as "open group"?
    Thoughts?

Day off, boogaloo.:flowerforyou:
  • mechanicmom
    Options
    I am open to a re-name. ODT (One Day at a Time). :laugh: Or PSG (Pebbles Support Group). :wink:

Determination Endurance And Dedication = DEAD. :laugh::laugh: I really was trying to be serious but that's not working. I think I will have to leave it up to you ladies.

New name boogaloo.
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    All the ones I think of sound so "Oprah". . ."Your Best Each Day" YBED or "Every Day is New" EDN or "Do All You Can" DAYC?

I like the idea that we would stress the idea that every day is a new do-over, to recognize that you do your best (whatever your current best is on that day, which is mostly selfish for me, because that's something I'm working on), but I like the "endurance/dedication" angle, you've got there, MM.

I also like, the sbf idea that we get a little better each day, too. . .

hmmmmm. . . thinky thoughts.