tea to help with chocolate/sweet cravings after dinner?

2»

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    If you're trying to stave off chocolate cravings with tea, I would give a chocolate herbal brew a try, like this

mw1qszq2r7sj.png

If you're just trying to assuage a desire for something sweet, I would try herbal teas that are naturally sweet, like licorice, cinnamon, mint, and ginger. There are some blends with most or all of those components, like Celestial Seasonings tension tamer blend, which I drink without sugar, milk, or any other additions.

• nawk6
    nawk6 Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks, everyone, for the helpful suggestions!
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Honey is 20 cal per teaspoon and pretty much the sweetest thing one could drizzle on anything less calorie dense. So, you might try some melon or fruit like apples or grapes with honey. Then back off for a bit and go with the tea.
  • txmads01
    txmads01 Posts: 2 Member
    I agree with the above posters. I LOVE chocolate and had a very difficult time eating it in moderation. However, I found I have a taste for dark chocolate so I starting buying Lindt 70% cocoa dark chocolate (that’s the highest cocoa % I can stand). The taste is so strong that it satisfies my craving but I wouldn’t be able to binge on it. I can have one square and feel happy!
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    I like black teas with berry flavors. I mostly buy loose leaf teas from a local shop, but I do keep tea bags at work for when I want something sweet. Twinings Mixed Berry is my favorite.

Chai teas are great too. Sadly, I can't drink them anymore because I'm allergic to cinnamon.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Hot cocoa...sure it's more calories but it's chocolate. Tea is great but it never hits a chocolate craving.
  • I like rooibos (redbush) with milk. It’s vanilla ish. I leave the bag in cos I’m radical.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    If you're trying to stave off chocolate cravings with tea, I would give a chocolate herbal brew a try, like this

mw1qszq2r7sj.png

If you're just trying to assuage a desire for something sweet, I would try herbal teas that are naturally sweet, like licorice, cinnamon, mint, and ginger. There are some blends with most or all of those components, like Celestial Seasonings tension tamer blend, which I drink without sugar, milk, or any other additions.

I'm a big fan of Teeccino but the last plain chocolate I bought was woefully lacking in chocolate to the point where I complained bitterly to them, sent it back (I'd bought a 3 pack) and received a three pack of their Chocolate Raspberry as a replacement.

Last I knew for online sales, Chocolate Raspberry was only available on their website, but other flavors are available on Amazon and other online retailers.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

mw1qszq2r7sj.png

I'm a big fan of Teeccino but the last plain chocolate I bought was woefully lacking in chocolate to the point where I complained bitterly to them, sent it back (I'd bought a 3 pack) and received a three pack of their Chocolate Raspberry as a replacement.

Last I knew for online sales, Chocolate Raspberry was only available on their website, but other flavors are available on Amazon and other online retailers.

I've been drinking what I guess is the plain chocolate (dark roast), and have been happy with it. I just recently bought the hazelnut (medium roast), but haven't tried it yet. I only realized after I bought it that it doesn't have any chocolate in it, just carob, which is also the first ingredient in the plain chocolate (but it also has chocolate in it).

I actually prefer Crio Bru, which is essentially coarsely ground chocolate nibs, which I brew in a french press, or sometimes toss a little bit in with my coffee grounds in either a french press or my pour-over set-up. But when I don't want to fiddle with that, the Teeccino is really nice for low effort.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,534 Member
    I forgot about it but know Stash has dessert teas, I'm sure other brands do as well. If you try any let us know how they are!
  • reflectionofme
    reflectionofme Posts: 310 Member
    David's Tea
    Apple Cider, Forever Nuts and Birthday Cake. Love them all the last 2 are even better with almond milk.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    I forgot about it but know Stash has dessert teas, I'm sure other brands do as well. If you try any let us know how they are!

I had high hopes for them, but I hated all of the Stash dessert teas. I thought they all had an awful aftertaste, and I wound up throwing them all out. This is the sampler I tried: https://www.amazon.com/Stash-Tea-Assortment-Deliciously-Individual/dp/B00E19WJ64.

The only "dessert" tea I've tried and enjoyed is Tazo Glazed Lemon Loaf. It doesn't even come close to convincing me it's cake--no tea can do that--but it's a very pleasant lemon vanilla tea. The fact that it has no caffeine is a big plus for me.
  • jwoolman5
    jwoolman5 Posts: 191 Member
    You might try peppermint tea with some cocoa added. Experiment to see if you need a sweetener. Or look on the web for ideas about proportions.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    I'm not sure any tea will help with chocolate cravings - what's wrong with reserving calories for a choccie fix in the evening?
  • Harebelle
    Harebelle Posts: 41 Member
    A cup of hot oatmilk with cinnamon, nutmeg and mixed spice stirred in.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,534 Member
    apullum wrote: »

I had high hopes for them, but I hated all of the Stash dessert teas. I thought they all had an awful aftertaste, and I wound up throwing them all out. This is the sampler I tried: https://www.amazon.com/Stash-Tea-Assortment-Deliciously-Individual/dp/B00E19WJ64.

The only "dessert" tea I've tried and enjoyed is Tazo Glazed Lemon Loaf. It doesn't even come close to convincing me it's cake--no tea can do that--but it's a very pleasant lemon vanilla tea. The fact that it has no caffeine is a big plus for me.

That sounds really good! I love Tazo Zen and passion. I should've known it was you, chocolate, ice cream, Penzey's, and now tea in common!
  • vivo1972
    vivo1972 Posts: 129 Member
    Sounds a bit oddbut I find if I suck a sweet menthol lozenge my mouthbrain doesn't want sugar so much, a bit like brushing your teeth I guess.

I use Fisherman's Friend if you have anything like that :)7ibh9z34bfjm.png
  • iheartmyyorkie
    iheartmyyorkie Posts: 163 Member
    I had uncontrollable cravings for tea but obliterated them by pigging out on chocolate. :p
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    apullum wrote: »

That sounds really good! I love Tazo Zen and passion. I should've known it was you, chocolate, ice cream, Penzey's, and now tea in common!

Don't forget Grocery Outlet! :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

mw1qszq2r7sj.png

I've been drinking what I guess is the plain chocolate (dark roast), and have been happy with it. I just recently bought the hazelnut (medium roast), but haven't tried it yet. I only realized after I bought it that it doesn't have any chocolate in it, just carob, which is also the first ingredient in the plain chocolate (but it also has chocolate in it).

I actually prefer Crio Bru, which is essentially coarsely ground chocolate nibs, which I brew in a french press, or sometimes toss a little bit in with my coffee grounds in either a french press or my pour-over set-up. But when I don't want to fiddle with that, the Teeccino is really nice for low effort.

I go back and forth between Hazelnut and Almond Amaretto, depending on what's cheaper. These days I brew with half Teeccino and half Starbucks Hazelnut. I'll have to check out Crio Bru.

Interestingly, I hated the Teeccino vanilla nut.