New in TN - Any Cub Scout leaders out there?

Options
Hi, I'm TJ. I'm a Cub Scout den leader, hockey mom and all around busy person. I'm getting within a couple years of 40, and I know I need to get in shape if I'm going to be able keep up with my son and the boys. I've successfully lost weight previously when I was going to Curves and working out 3 times a week but my local Curves closed and I really don't have time to go somewhere.

Anyone else in a similar situation? How do you make time to work out? What's your key to eating healthy when you're always on the go?

My immediate goal is to try to lost 10 lbs before a Boy Scout leadership training in Sept. I have about 4 weeks to do it.

Replies

• WiiFitFan
    WiiFitFan Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have been involved with Scouts for years. PTA for me, as well. Being involved in your kids lives is so important and you are doing a great thing. You do, however, need to make time for yourself a priority. A healthy Mom is just as important as what you do for the kids. I have been there, and wish that I would have taken better care of myself back then. I might could have avoided some serious health problems. This is a great step that you have taken by joining MFP. Start eating healthier and make sure you get your exercise in and you will be fine. Best wishes to you! :flowerforyou:
  • KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I'm in Mt. Juliet, and I started getting way more active when I found meetup.com. Nashville has a huge meetup community - not for hookups or dating, but for hiking, biking, and most importantly for me, kayaking. 4 weeks isn't a lot of time for major change, but it would be a wonderful start and would probably motivate you to keep going when you see success. Sending you a friend request - MFP friends definitely keep you motivated and accountable! :flowerforyou: Oh, yeah - Go Preds!
  • nitasimmons2
    Options
    Hi! I'm not a cub scout leader or anything, but I am also quite busy with a husband, two little ones (a boy-2yrs and a girl-1yr), a full-time job, and a Master's program to contend with. Time is definitely an issue when it comes to working out, so I completely understand about the constraint. I can't even see how you were able to find the time for Curves! :) I'm not sure what time you wake up in the mornings, but I try to get a decent workout in before I go to work. This means a 4:30-4:45am start for me so that I can at least get 30-45 minutes of exercise in. I'm not sure if you've tried Zumba, but it's great! I only do the 20 minute express and flat abs videos and afterwards I might add a little weight training or squats/lunges. I've been doing it consistently for a little over a month now 4 times a week. I wasn't noticing much weight loss at first-I was only keeping it constant-but I figured it was due to my eating habits. Since I've joined MFP about a week ago, the weight's coming off as well as the inches! I hope this helps you find a routine that fits your schedule!

Oh, and I'm also in TN (Nashville area) so please feel free to add me as a friend!
  • KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I had another thought - how do you feel about video workouts? Lots of people on MFP have done or are doing Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. It is very effective, especially if you add in regular walks too, and the workout is only 30 minutes from warm up to cool down. The dvd is only about $9 at Target, so it's not a huge investment. That workout WILL tone you up.
  • PredsGal
    Options
    I'll have to check that out. Thanks for the tip!
  • PredsGal
    Options
    I rented the Zumba for the Wii this weekend, and man is it kicking my butt! I like it though. I might have to get the game for myself.