Starting at a normal weight, wanting to lose vanity pounds before getting pregnant, or going on vaca

Options
Have ya done it before?

Intentionally lost extra weight before getting pregnant or simply before going on vacation.

Was it worth it.

Replies

• cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    I have lost a few before a holiday but I took a couple of months.

I didn’t lose before getting pregnant. The pregnancy was a surprise and I wouldn’t personally have lost weight before getting pregnant cos I was at a heathy weight. Maybe talk to ur doctor if you are over weight and wanting to get pregnant.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    I think those are two really different things.

If one is considering getting pregnant, then weight loss should be discussed with their doctor in order to ensure that the plan is healthy and safe.

If you’re simply going on vacation, how is your vacation going to be different if you weigh a pound or two less? In addition, for many people who are in their optimal BMI range, fat loss happens very slowly. It’s not unusual to see no downward movement in the scale for 4-6 weeks in those cases. Generally speaking, if one is in their optimal BMI range yet not happy with their appearance, a long term recomp plan is more likely to give the toned look that people often want.

Where are you getting this from?
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I've never been pregnant, so I can share that. But I just finished a cut for a vacation. I went from 164.8 to 148.8 (I'm 5'11 and female).

Last winter I bought my first house, changed jobs and finished a very rigorous leadership group at work - and I eat and get slothen when I'm stressed. So from let's say Thanksgiving 2018 to April of 2019 I gained about 10-15lbs, which was great over the winter (kept me warmer) but by Spring I was feeling blah. I tried to lose it several times over the summer, but I had one excuse after the other. I was still a "healthy weight" even with the added weight, but I feel better lower. So, in preparation of an all inclusive vacation to Mexico in December, I started September 3rd and as of last Sunday I'm down 16lbs. I started early because in the past it took much longer to lose and I was determined to have enough time to do it. I'm not one of those "starve myself for a month and lose 10lbs" people.

Yes, that's fast. I know. This isn't the first time I've done this for a trip and I'd do it again. I never netted less than 1400 calories a day the whole time I was losing and walked regularly for 2-3 miles (until it got cold...).

I plan to maintain (log and exercise) until vacation, take a week off during vacation and get right back on it after Christmas. I'm happy with this weight and plan to stay in a 3lb +/- range for the foreseeable future.
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    DH and I alway try to lose 5 lb before going to WDW. It's nearly impossible to not gain weight there - at least for us.
  • ellie117
    ellie117 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    @kristen8000 I'm in a similar boat. I lost 70ish for my wedding last year, but gave myself 13 months to do so. I gained back about 20, and restarted in September this year to prep for our honeymoon in Jamaica at the end of December. I've lost 13lbs since, and I'm hoping for another 10 by Christmas. That will put me in a "Normal" BMI range.

My husband joined this time, too. He's lost over 10lbs as well, it's nice to have someone you live with share the same goals.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing peeps
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Congrats ellie117! Have a wonderful time in Jamaica (it's lovely!).

Wow, lots of disagrees. Sorry if you don't agree with what I did but I consider it an accomplishment. It took some work, some will-power and lots of saying no over the last 2 months. And I feel great. So, sorry, not sorry.

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I was a normal BMI but decided to lose 20 pounds before my vacation in Paris/Northern France this past September, because I wanted to look better amidst all the chic-ness. I reached goal just before my trip. It took me 6 months. Being thin on vacation was awesome. I felt wonderful, packing was easy because everything fit, and when you’re thin even casual clothes just look better IMO. I love my new weight (120-125 @ 5’ 4.5”) and am determined to maintain it. Gained four pounds back but have lost one so far and hope to lose one more before Thanksgiving so I can stay in the middle of my maintenance range while enjoying the holiday.
  • HotFrieZ
    HotFrieZ Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I believe that being too lean makes it harder to conceive so I would not do that if you are at a healthy weight before getting pregnant. I ended up below my prepregnancy weight within a couple of weeks after having baby bc I wasn't very hungry during pregnancy due to the baby smooshing my stomach lol. I actually gained then bc I was so hungry while breastfeeding. Mentally it was harder gaining weight like that after my pregnancy and I had wished I had let go a little more during pregnancy and lost it after like a normal person. At 6 mo pp I'm back to normal weight with wider hips lol. As long as you don't eat for 2 the whole time and keep active you should be fine to get back to normal after pregnancy.

Sure for vacation.