Articles says exercise won't make you thin

Options

Replies

• ASaxe23
    ASaxe23 Posts: 163
    Options
    I see no mention of his diet in that entire article....it's no good to exercise if you're not eating right!!
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I think they have a point, but only because people don't know how to eat properly, to give a balanced nutrition so that they don't then over eat as a result of being hungry from the gym - or because they think that 100 cal burn on the rowing machine equals being able to eat a 300cal piece of cake!
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. While working out AIDS in weight loss, the real weight loss begins with what you put in your belly.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

weight loss is 80% diet, 10% exercise, 10% genetics. So it is really hard to outwork a bad diet.
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Proper diet with a calorie deficit will make you lose weight/thin. Exercise helps with the deficit and helps with muscle definition and overall health. :-)
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    You can't eat whatever you want just because you exercise & still lose weight. Totally in agreement with Erickirb. The majority of weight loss is diet.
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I agree with the article... but exercise does help some if you burn enough.
  • Hernandezedw
    Options
    I believe the article is right, in a way. If you don't control what you eat, exercise won't help. If I burn 500 calories a day, and eat 4000, I won't lose weight. It's kind of a pointless article. Bunch a fluff that didn't really need to be written about.

The gist is, if you want to lose weight, watch what you eat. If you want to look good, exercise and watch what you eat.
  • asaltfit
    asaltfit Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Well its true. What takes longer burning 600 calories or eating 600 calories. Lol if you get a pizza in front of me I can down 1500 cals in 10 minutes.
  • Katefab26
    Katefab26 Posts: 865
    Options
    Interesting article. One of my good friends is a fitness instructor, and we've talked about this a LOT. She works out all the time (multiple times a day) and still has about five pounds that she could lose. (Don't get me wrong, she looks amazing!!) What holds her back from losing those pounds is wine and cupcakes. You can't out exercise a bad diet! That's why it's so important to combine diet and exercise. I get extremely hungry after I work out, so that's when I drink my protein shake. It helps repair my muscles and keeps me from grabbing whatever looks good at the moment :-)
  • kmumansky
    kmumansky Posts: 119
    Options
    I admit i didn't read the whole thing, I skimmed through it.

But I tend go along with the theory that weight loss is 80% diet 20% excercise. The average person can excercise an hour a day but if they are consuming 3000+ calories no I do not think they will loose weight. When you start talking about serious athletes it gets to be a different story....but they are usually thin to begin with and are eating a lot to fuel their workouts.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I can't open the link but I heard about this 4 page article in the news this morning.

My thoughts: It was written by a quitter and the title sends the wrong message.

There's plenty of response articles out there that refute the article.
  • krstnmuir
    Options
    "Dieting makes you look good in your clothes. Excersize makes you look good naked." ........... a combination is the best way to go!
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    you can't outwork a bad diet
  • smbakke77
    smbakke77 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    very interesting...it makes sense to some extent. But I don't think I'll give up my gym membership over it! I just will use my determination and will power not to go out and eat a box of donuts after my work out!
  • Cat8birdie
    Cat8birdie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Well first I would like to say, calories in calories out. It is simple math, which is where this site comes in. But, if all you eat are carbs and sugar all day, I would have to say that your body is not being fueled for what it needs. I have found with a lower carb/sugar diet and more veggies and protein I have been able to get rid of the belly fat. It seems that the belly fat is the last to go though, and I think people really get discouraged when they are trying to lose weight and the belly fat is still there.
  • lecia8610
    Options
    It is true. Exercise alone cannot make you lose weight. You have to eat right as well. When I lost 55 pounds last year I noticed that I would gain or maintain if I didn't workout, even though I ate right. But if I worked my booty off the next week and ate right I'd lose as much as 5-7 pounds!!!
  • Fochizzy
    Fochizzy Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I mean exercise helps if you also watch what you eat. Yes when I work out I can eat higher calorie food, the key is not to eat so much that I lose my calorie deficiet. Then again, the people on this site are doing what is widely considered one of the most effective ways, keeping a food diary.
  • Hernandezedw
    Options
    You can't eat whatever you want just because you exercise & still lose weight. Totally in agreement with Erickirb. The majority of weight loss is diet.

I have to disagree. I eat what I want and I've been losing weight. Loves to eat me some pizza and cheeseburgers. Gotta run 7 miles to do it though.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Nothing too surprising there, I control my eating habits to control my weight, I exercise to be healthy. As a matter of fact, at this point I'm try to gain weight by building lean mass.