Garmin Vivosport to replace Fitbit Charge?

Options
Now that Google is buying Fitbit, I am looking to replace my Charge 2.

The top replacement contender for me is the Garmin Vivosport. It seems to do everything the Charge 2 does and then some. For people who have tried both, any thoughts?

How is the Garmin app and integration with MFP? Fitbit integration is just terrible. You have to separately log your workout in MFP manually - it doesn't sync the workout data from Fitbit. Then, Fitbit takes the MFP manually logged workout and creates a duplicate entry that you have to delete. It's a minor annoyance, but it would be a big plus for me if Garmin's workouts transferred to MFP seamlessly.

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Never had a vivo but the Garmin app has a lot of depth and integration has basically been flawless for me.
  • LeannJeffers
    LeannJeffers Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I have fitbit charge 2 but wouldn't mind upgrading. Following this post to see other opinions.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I have used a refurbished Fitbit Charge HR off and on for about 3 years. It had started getting glitchy on me, AND I learned Garmin’s were water “resistant” - sold! I found a Garmin Vívosmart 3 for a whopping $30 at a local Walmart. I thought for sure the price was wrong. Nope! So I started using it a couple weeks ago. I was sad to give up all the data I had logged, but with the Google buyout being announced shortly after I made the switch it took the sting off. It has taken some getting used to, but I am learning my way around with it. I think the Fitbit was way overstating my steps, every arm movement was registered (I would take 200+ steps while brushing my teeth). Garmin annoys me because I can be up and at ‘em fixing dinner and get the Move! Notification, but at least I know it’s likely under rather than overestimating. It also adjusts my goals based on past activity (or lack of)... and I am pretty sure as I log and adjust my runs it is better learning my stride so distance is becoming more accurate even without GPS on my model (I track with both it and Runkeeper so I adjust the distances after I am done). The first time I used it for a run it notified me of my 1 mile mark at about 1.5, this last one was almost spot on.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I’ve not had that particular Garmin, but I’ve had both Garmin and Fitbit linked to mfp at different times.

You’re doing a lot of unnecessary work with the Fitbit now. You don’t need to (and really shouldn’t be) manually logging your workouts in mfp. The calories come over from Fitbit automatically (but the workout entry doesn’t show in your diary).

Garmin will put an entry in your diary for your workout-plus the regular adjustment. But-certain workout types don’t carry over as a diary entry (although the calories are included in the adjustment).

Both integrations work fine. If the mfp diary entry for your workout is critically important to you (not just that the calories are accounted for), you will probably like the Garmin better.

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    And as for Garmin vs Fitbit-Garmin makes a wide range of trackers including everything from lower priced options with fewer features than Fitbit, up to devices costing over $1k that do everything including massage where your wallet used to be. Garmin has also recently realized that style matters to a lot of people and that women tend to want smaller/sleeker devices for everyday wear. So the options are expanding.

Garmin devices tend to be more reliable and have more longevity. But not all Garmins do the same things. So make sure you’re researching to find out if the one you want has the ability to connect to phone GPS (or if it’s included in the device or not an option at all), or if you can load workout profiles, HR monitoring, VO2Max/fitness estimates, ability to connect to other sensors, or whatever features you’re looking for.

Garmin has also made strides in the community/challenge area-but if that’s something very important to you, Fitbit does still win this battle.

• yamabachi
    yamabachi Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback y'all! I'm fully convinced that the Garmin line is the one for me

One thing I don't like about the less expensive Vivos is that you can't change the band in case of "dressier" occasions. May look at the models that have more of a "watch" like appearance.