How do you handle bad days?

Options
I was on track all day exercise and on track with my calories but gave in at the end of the day to some pizza (went over calories) and made me feel really guilty.

What tips do you guys have to not feel guilty just because you ate something?

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Yum, I had pizza for lunch. I had enough to fit my calories.

I have a cheeky little theory I'd like to run past MFP:

The guilt (say, of a 'binge') is a rush, perhaps like exercise, smoking, drinking, etc.

People do it for the thrill, not so much for any "bad" food.

(5 donuts at a free afternoon tea if you've been starving yourself all day not included. That's a different sort of compulsion, though it makes me wonder what you mean by being "on track with exercise and calories".)

Be proud of your actions. Fear guilt, not food.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I never really feel guilty after going over, mainly because I calorie cycle so I will eat more some days and less on others. It's about long term vs just one day. As long as you don't let going over become the "I blew it so may as well eat over the rest of the week" then you will be fine. Start fresh the next day.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    as long as you don't let it become an everyday or every other day scenario, you'll be fine. That being said, you could always workout or go for a long walk to offset those extra calories.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Put the day behind you. Use it as a learning tool and move forward. You had your fun, time to get back at it! :) IOW give yourself a kick in the caboose. Lol
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I had (homemade) pizza last night for dinner!!!

My husband had IBS and has a problem with lactose so it's easier to make a pizza at home so he doesn't get sick and easier to control my calories. I buy the pre-made crust at my grocery store, ragu homestyle pizza sauce, turkey pepperoni, kraft pizza cheese, sometimes I put banana peppers on my side of the pizza.

As far as going over your calories.... why beat yourself up about it? You slipped up and can't change it... you can only learn from it. I pre-log my calories most of the time so I can physically see how many calories I'm going to eat and where that would put me in my day (over/under/enough for the rest of the day?)
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    No guilt here. Simple process:

- complete the binge; enjoy every second of it, cause I don't get them often
    - wake up the next morning and get on scale first thing
    - log weight on MFP and marvel at how much scale weight (not fat!!) can be added in one day
    - start over by getting on cardio machine
    - eat every calorie of the quota the next day - not more than 20 calories under, or over - everything back to normal

having now gone through this 10+ times and learned that, in fact, I do get *right back* on track the very next morning as if the binge never happened, I've become even more comfortable without shame or regret about the occasional binge. Which unfortunately might've led to a couple extra binges LOL but at the same time, they do little damage because they are always confined to the day they happen, and there's only so much damage you can do in a day.

It's all about getting RIGHT BACK ON PLAN the next morning. Binges are just little speed bumps; the point is to stay on the road!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    weight3049 wrote: »
    I was on track all day exercise and on track with my calories but gave in at the end of the day to some pizza (went over calories) and made me feel really guilty.

What tips do you guys have to not feel guilty just because you ate something?
    If you're feeling guilty, it's because you believed you failed. There will be days where you're going to just let it go and it's fine. ONE DAY or ONE MEAL will not disrupt your progress if you're consistent.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    Lots of times when people say they were good all day and then overate, they were actually undereating.
    1. What percentage of the calories you earn from exercise do you eat back?
    2. How many pounds do you have to lose total and what weekly weight loss goal did you select?

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg
  • Pamela_Sue
    Pamela_Sue Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I eat out every Tuesday with my folks at a local Mexican restaurant. I plan ahead but know that I will be eating closer to maintenance that day. Over time, I have learned to accept and embrace a higher calorie day because I am still being mindful and intentional. It has been a great mental exercise for me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't consider any day to be a bad day. Sometimes I have higher calorie days and lower calorie days. I eat well for the most part...but Friday nights are usually pizza and movie night with the family and there's nothing "bad" about that to feel guilty.

Also, keep things in perspective...for one thing, it's one day and it's pretty meaningless to the bigger picture. Also, your calorie target is a deficit and often a substantial one depending on what you selected as your rate of loss...in most cases, going over your calorie target is still going to be a deficit or maybe maintenance...but even over maintenance, you're not really doing any damage with one measly day.