FAILING at my diet!!!

Options
Recently I can't even bring myself to log calories on here, because I am NEVER meeting my caloric goals. On a good day, I'm just going over by 300-500 calories - but on a bad day, I am going way, WAAAAYYY over - like binge-status-worthy over (which of course puts me in the weight GAIN catagory - which is SOOOO not where I need to be).

Freshman year of college, when I met my caloric goal, I made myself stop. Forced myself to. But now when I try to do that, that hungry feeling keeps nagging at my brain, and all too often I give up and eat something - even if I ate not too long ago! I'm really not trying to be a quitter - I gulp down water and protein and fiber . . . but I'm so stressed between school and the wedding and work and not getting a chance to go work out and the fact that I still haven't really lost any weight (big surprise, but you know what I mean) that my emotional eating impulse is working OVERTIME!!

Any helpful tips to control my hunger? What do you do when you can't eat any more but still want to?

Thanks and love!

Replies

• bonnykate
    Options
    Recently I can't even bring myself to log calories on here, because I am NEVER meeting my caloric goals. On a good day, I'm just going over by 300-500 calories - but on a bad day, I am going way, WAAAAYYY over - like binge-status-worthy over (which of course puts me in the weight GAIN catagory - which is SOOOO not where I need to be).

Freshman year of college, when I met my caloric goal, I made myself stop. Forced myself to. But now when I try to do that, that hungry feeling keeps nagging at my brain, and all too often I give up and eat something - even if I ate not too long ago! I'm really not trying to be a quitter - I gulp down water and protein and fiber . . . but I'm so stressed between school and the wedding and work and not getting a chance to go work out and the fact that I still haven't really lost any weight (big surprise, but you know what I mean) that my emotional eating impulse is working OVERTIME!!

Any helpful tips to control my hunger? What do you do when you can't eat any more but still want to?

Thanks and love!
  • Girlmom282109
    Girlmom282109 Posts: 2,643 Member
    Options

Thanks and love!

I brush my teeth at night when I need to fight the urge the most. Then I know that I can't eat for at least 30 minutes and by then it usually works.
  • msujdak
    msujdak Posts: 141
    Options
    Put on some music andDANCE!!!
  • mommareed
    Options
    I just try to devert my attention to something else..Me having 3 kids under 3 that is pretty easy to do LOL, but if they are all sleeping I usually find something to clean.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I think we all have struggled with this at one time or another. The important thing is to keep logging, whether the results are good or bad and then find ways to reward yourself. LIke if you eat no more than your max calories give yourself a dollar or for a whole week of doing well go get a pair of earrings or something.

I can't say I am the best at this, I finally bought a body bugg to motivate me and help me really track what I am doing...so far highly motivational tool. You will find what works for you. You also need to consider if you are stressed out from school or work sometimes getting to the gym and doing some hard cardio for 45 minutes will help curb that stress hunger!

Good luck, you can do it! :flowerforyou:
  • tennetubbie
    tennetubbie Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    get on this site and answer posts
    call a friend to go for a walk or swimming---not to eat
    do you have a buddy who can do this with you??
    do you have fattening temptations in the house that need to go?
    Can your fiance help?

I couldn't do this without MFP and my daughter and friends who will WALK with me.

Good luck---I sure don't have the answer---or I wouldn't be here---but this is what works for me.

123504.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Try spacing your meals out in smaller, more frequent meals. I eat breakfast, lunch, dinner, but then I usually try to leave enough calories for a mid afternoon snack and an evening snack around 8 or 9pm after dinner. Even if it is just fruit or veggies, just something to make myself feel like I am allowing myself to eat.

Are you drinking the recommended 8 glasses of water a day? I just got back to that this week and the difference it has made is amazing. I used to be lucky if I drank one bottle a day, so when I was hungry I would try chugging another bottle to fill up. The result? I was still hungry, but then I had to pee.

But consistently drinking the 8 glasses a day through out the day keeps me full and I am definitely hydrated so I don't have any of the dehydrated symptoms that many people mistake as hunger.
  • wmorris
    Options
    I try to keep alot of low cal snacks prepared (snack size baggies of carrots, celery, grapes, pickles, peppers, melon) in the fridge and plenty of single serving smart pop popcorn. That way, when I can't say no to a snack attack, I have healthy alternatives close at hand. You also might try eating small meals every 3 hours. Stick with it though, you only fail if you give up!!
    90814.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • sweetapplepi
    Options
    Keep trying. Practice makes perfect. Also, if you eat clean, you shouldn't be starving and wanting to binge because you will feel full after meals for a while. Maybe try to post a pic of your wedding dress on your kitchen cabinets to keep from reaching for foods to binge? Have whatever motivates you around to constantly remind you of why you want this and why it's so important. I hope that helps! Good luck hun:smile:
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Keep trying. Practice makes perfect. Also, if you eat clean, you shouldn't be starving and wanting to binge because you will feel full after meals for a while. Maybe try to post a pic of your wedding dress on your kitchen cabinets to keep from reaching for foods to binge? Have whatever motivates you around to constantly remind you of why you want this and why it's so important. I hope that helps! Good luck hun:smile:

No wedding dress pics if you live with your fiancee thats bad luck. But I agree motivational tools are the key. I get these feelings sometimes and just make sure that if I snack I snack on something healthy, meaningful so to speak.......not junk and never more then 150 cals..........hang in there......
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

No wedding dress pics if you live with your fiancee thats bad luck. But I agree motivational tools are the key. I get these feelings sometimes and just make sure that if I snack I snack on something healthy, meaningful so to speak.......not junk and never more then 150 cals..........hang in there......

good advice...dont mess with the mojo on the pics..
    hey Sassie....everything "come out" alright the other night? lol
  • sassiebritches
    Options

Cute Dave....brat! Yes all was fine and it was today....read up on things and all is normal LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!:grumble:
  • nerveracker
    Options
    I assume you're trying keep your portions under control. and have you a snack an hour or so before bed. but keep it small and LOW carb, high protein. you don't want your body making insulin while you sleep and storing all those carbs as fat.

sounds like you're drinking water keep that up!
    also try to take your time eating your meals and snacks. I know it isn't always that easy but try to. Give yourself 20-30 minutes at lest to eat. Eat lots of white meats, fish, chicken, turkey.. good for you, low cal, low fat, low carb, high protein.

Also, work to get your fitness program back into your busy life. Make the time to do it. I know it isn't always easy. That is YOUR time, take time out for you! you'll feel better, you won't be so stressed. I promise!

If you still can't seem to get back on track, and all else has failed... Chew gum!

It works for me, I hope it helps you!
    but the main goal here, is DON'T QUIT!!! keep on working at it!! Rome wasn't built in a day, and the journey of 1000 miles begins with small steps.

"The Nerveracker"

The Reason Most People Fail Instead of Succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT!!! (thanks Swarm)

Motivation- It is not strength but desire that moves us, Dream, Dare, Do!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

Cute Dave....brat! Yes all was fine and it was today....read up on things and all is normal LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!:grumble:

WHOA WAIT A MINUTE...new pic IS HOT!!!! SASSIE GETTIN SMOKIN!!!!!
  • sassiebritches
    Options

WHOA WAIT A MINUTE...new pic IS HOT!!!! SASSIE GETTIN SMOKIN!!!!!

I commented and then thought about it.....Thanks Dave, but this is somone else's troubles.....
  • mom24qties
    Options
    Try to distract yourself in those moments and remember why you want to lose weight. I try to drink water and then wait at least 15 mins. to see if I still want to eat - usually not. Hang in there!!
  • mmackie
    Options
    The best place to strat in with one meal a day. Just watch breakfast for like a week, then watch your lunch intake, and snacks and so on. The wedding dress was a HUGE motivatior for me. Nobody wants to look average on their Wedding day-so you need to take care of yourself from the inside out. No booze, fried foods, high sodium foods be gone! Remember those things affect your hari, your skin, nails, teeth, etc.

You can do It girl-just get focused on one thing- and getting into that dress is it! Just think that everything you are doing is to make you look and feel better on that day.
  • Mickie17
    Mickie17 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    You are obviously stress-eating...something I can COMPLETELY relate to. I can tell you what's starting to work for me...1) Brush your teeth, nothing tastes "right" with clean teeth 2) MOVE!!!!!!!!! In the time you take to eat, you could be moving your body instead. Excerise helps release endorphins (sp?) in your body, which help you to relax and to not feel hungry. Even if it's for 10 minute, 5 minutes or 2 minutes...go for a walk, jog in place...hula hoop...something...but move instead of eating out of stress! I know it's hard...it's something I have done for years and have to work on everyday...but the more I work on it, the better it gets (I have the stress/mindless/over eating issues that many people have).

Good luck to you!!!:flowerforyou: