Fruits and fructose

I've been wondering, how much fruit is too much?
They are low in calories and very nutritious too, but can you go overboard with them?
My daily calorie intake is 1800 and for the past 3 days I overate on fruits and exceeded my daily calorie intake by 100-450 calories (and sugar and carb intake by +150 grams), will this binge-eating on healthy food cause you to gain weight/fat?

Replies

• nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    edited November 2019
    You definitely don't want to binge on fruit. I am supposed to be on a low carb diet (doctors advice) and my favorite fruit (frozen mango) has 21g of carbs in just 1 cup. Just to compare, same amount of cheerios have the same amount of carbs.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    You definitely don't want to binge on fruit. I am supposed to be on a low carb diet (doctors advice) and my favorite fruit (frozen mango) has 21g of carbs in just 1 cup. Just to compare, same amount of cheerios have the same amount of carbs.

Do you need to be on a low carb diet for a specific medical condition, or do you think you need it just for weight loss? Because you do not need to eat low carb for weight loss. It is all about calories.

While binging on anything to the point of a calorie surplus is bad, it is a lot harder to do it with fruit than many other foods, as it is less calorie dense. Mango, which is one of the more calorie dense fruits, has around 105 calories in 1 cup, which is 165 grams. Meanwhile, just 28 grams of cheetos has 160 calories. So they are not nearly comparable. By weight, cheetos have almost 10 times the calories as mangoes.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    MikePTY wrote: »

Do you need to be on a low carb diet for a specific medical condition, or do you think you need it just for weight loss? Because you do not need to eat low carb for weight loss. It is all about calories.

While binging on anything to the point of a calorie surplus is bad, it is a lot harder to do it with fruit than many other foods, as it is less calorie dense. Mango, which is one of the more calorie dense fruits, has around 105 calories in 1 cup, which is 165 grams. Meanwhile, just 28 grams of cheetos has 160 calories. So they are not nearly comparable. By weight, cheetos have almost 10 times the calories as mangoes.

Medical condition. And i know carbs have nothing to do with weight loss (although the keto ppl seem to think so) im a firm CICO believer. I just was using an example (although not great) that fruit is not always healthy, and in my case would put me at my daily limit if i was doing keto ( i am not, and never would do keto)

/rant