12 weeks pregnant

Hi Everyone

Well I've been taking a bit of a break from my weight loss journey as I'm pregnant with my first and going on to maintenance whilst the baby develops. (and I've been terrible at logging since I found out but intend to rectify that)

I'm going to try to stay on here and log to try and maintain a healthy(ish) diet and exercise regime, but wondered if there was any pregnant peeps who are in the same boat who want to add me as an MFPal so we can keep each other motivated, swap tips etc.

Also feel free to chip in your 2 pennies, this is all new to me so if you've been pregnant whilst still exercising etc would love tips from some fit Mums ;P

Cheers! ^_^

Replies

• Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,596 Member
    Congratulations! Wonderful news!

I don’t have any exercise tips other than watch those joints- your ligaments stretch during pregnancy, and you don’t want to turn your ankle! Do what you can tolerate, and realize that developing a baby takes an enormous amount of energy. You will be super tired at times while the baby goes through a growth spurt, and that’s ok! Sleep!

I remember my doctor telling me that it’s all about the baby getting what it needs from your body. Not consuming enough calcium? The baby will leech it from your bones! That one really stuck with me. Really brought home the point that it’s now all about the baby.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Womona wrote: »
    Congratulations! Wonderful news!

I don’t have any exercise tips other than watch those joints- your ligaments stretch during pregnancy, and you don’t want to turn your ankle! Do what you can tolerate, and realize that developing a baby takes an enormous amount of energy. You will be super tired at times while the baby goes through a growth spurt, and that’s ok! Sleep!

I remember my doctor telling me that it’s all about the baby getting what it needs from your body. Not consuming enough calcium? The baby will leech it from your bones! That one really stuck with me. Really brought home the point that it’s now all about the baby.

Thanks Womona, I am definitely trying to listen to my body and understand the issues with the "relaxin" hormone luckily a couple of my instructors have had pregnant clients so aren't pushing me and are showing me how I can adapt different moves in my circuit training and Pilates classes. And yes I wasn't prepared for how tired I'd feel over the first trimester (or how nauseous) it's like I'm only just recovering from a 6 week hangover. lol
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    Congratulations! And good for you for planning to continue logging! I wish I had done so in my two pregnancies - I gained way more than recommended each time I was preggers, and it didn't come off again until I had done with breastfeeding. As for exercise, I wouldn't start anything new or intense at this stage, but there is absolutely no reason you can't carry on with your current routine. Just pay attention to your body, it will let you know when you are overdoing it, or need a break. I continued running until I was about 8 months along with my first, which made it so much easier to get active again after she was born.
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,596 Member
    Early pregnancy and having a 6 week hangover is such a great analogy! Glad you’re feeling better!
  • lauragreenbaum
    lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member
    Congrats!! Pilates is a great exercise for pregnant women- just make sure to go to a lower level class and let the instructor know.