First timer on MFP

Options
Hey, would be helpful if any of you want to be friends on here and share tips. I’m looking too loose weight and could also do with any tips here, thanks! I’ve set my calorie/activity level to not moving much and ignoring my job which is semi active and relying more on my workouts. Starting off slow with 15 minutes of toning a day at 1200calories as for a lot to lose and will increase work our time and lower calories per stone. Does this sound about right ? I’m pretty good with being healthy and choosing the right foods.

Replies

• liftorgohome
    liftorgohome Posts: 25,455 Member
    Options
    Hi there welcome to MFP. Lot's of knowledgeable people here.
  • FatToFitChaser
    FatToFitChaser Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Well I am still learning/struggling at it , not sure can provide tips yet but can support.

Best of luck
  • beebethanyrosew_
    Options
    Thankyou. Add me as a friend?:)
  • Viking_Dad
    Viking_Dad Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Hey, would be helpful if any of you want to be friends on here and share tips. I’m looking too loose weight and could also do with any tips here, thanks! I’ve set my calorie/activity level to not moving much and ignoring my job which is semi active and relying more on my workouts. Starting off slow with 15 minutes of toning a day at 1200calories as for a lot to lose and will increase work our time and lower calories per stone. Does this sound about right ? I’m pretty good with being healthy and choosing the right foods.

It's hard to say if that's right or not without knowing your stats. 1200 is the minimum allowed here, so I suspect it may not be correct.
    Input your info and see what MFP comes up with for calories. You may also want to set your activity level as lightly active, and don't forget to eat at least some of your exercise calories.
    You don't want to end up with too large a deficit, it won't be sustainable.
  • beebethanyrosew_
    Options
    Yeah that is very true. Thankyou.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options

The way MFP is designed to work is that you set your activity level as what you do on a normal, daily basis, and then log your intentional exercise separately. It sounds like your activity level is at least lightly active.

You are also intended to eat back all exercise calories assuming they are calculated correctly; you are not intended to use exercise to create a larger deficit. Your deficit is already calculated as part of your calorie goal, so the software does not intend you to "rely" on exercise for anything other than fitness and getting to eat more.

Whether or not 1200 calories is appropriate for you depends on your stats. What is your height, current weight, and goal weight?
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    Stay true to your calorie goals but don't deny yourself. You will find this very doable on MFP. In the wake of my hip replacements earlier this year, I started by way of extra work outside my PT walking (kinda slow) on my treadmill starting with something like 3 or 4 minutes, literally adding 15 seconds a day. I did this for weeks. When I got official sanction from my surgeon and felt more and more able to go and do without canes, I ultimately "gave myself permission" to turn it loose which has led to me walking over an hour at a time and exercising pool for almost two hours. Along the way (August) I returned to MFP. I found myself in a groove I have no interest getting out of. Stay with it. Your groove is waiting for you!