Can Eating too Little Make the Scale Go Up?

Options
I know starvation mode isn't a thing, I'm not asking that.

What I wanna know is if its possible that eating less means I'm holding on to more water or something else that would cause a bigger scale number?

I cut my calories a bit more (1500 to 1350 ish) in advance of Christmas and because of a plateau but the only drop I've seen came after I overate for a weekend. I've basically lost less than a pound since the end of October with it bouncing back up.

Should I go back up to 1500 or should I just wait it out?

Replies

• LeannJeffers
    LeannJeffers Posts: 486 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    My scale finally started moving down this week after I started eating 200 more calories than i normally do. I don't know if it's coincidence or not? I'd like to hear what others say to. My scale has been stuck at the same weight since September!!
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    You gals have a lot more going on with fluid retention than us guys do. I will agree with @kshama and @pav888 that tmo, stress, ect.. playvm a roll with y'all. 1300 cals? Is that enough for you. Maybe consider a break for the holidays. I know I am not the nicest guy, bit 1300 cals concerns me.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Also wanted to add, @pav888 is a proponent of maintenance breaks. While I have not seen much evidence for physical or hormonal "recharge", I am beginning to think that they can be great for a mental break.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,984 Member
    Options
    In addition to increased water retention from stress, another possibility is that solid waste may not be passing through your body as quickly.