Weighing

Options
How often and what time of the day do you weigh?

Replies

• Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week and first thing in the morning.
  • Shannon22073
    Shannon22073 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    How ever often you weigh you want it to be shortly after you get up, right after a toilet visit if that is your norm, and wearing the same clothes or nothing. Other than a sip of water to take a morning medication you do not want to add any weight mass to your body before stepping on the scale.

Frequency is up to you. What I do for me may not be right for you.

Also here is a good read on the scale and fluctuations:

https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/

Great article!! I had no idea so much could effect the scale. Thanks!
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    Daily weigh in every morning. After bathroom, before getting dressed
    Daily weigh ins are entered into a trending app and a spreadsheet for tracking and calculate the average weight for the week which is entered into MFP on Sunday as my 'official' weekly weigh in weight

That said I'll also jump on the scales pretty much any time I'm in the bathroom in a suitable state of undress like when I get home from work and get changed and before I go to bed. These other weigh ins are just out of curiosity and aren't recorded. In fact they're not even really paid any attention and are dismissed and forgotten the minute I step off the scale.
  • flotek72
    flotek72 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Morning, naked, everyday.
  • weightliftingbarbie
    Options
    Weekly, first thing in the morning 😊
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, first thing in the morning, after using the bathroom. My scale syncs to a trending app and then to mfp. Weighing daily keeps me engaged in the process.
  • PTA4LYF
    PTA4LYF Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week and first thing in the morning.

ditto!!
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I use only one scales - an electronic one at the gym and I try to do that on Monday mornings, so I am careful what I eat during weekends. With my massive weight every scales show different weights - very discouraging, so I always use the same.
  • Pamela_Sue
    Pamela_Sue Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning to follow my progress, however, I only input my weight into MFP on Mondays. I used to input my weight every day, but found the ups and downs played mental games with me and I became discouraged with a small uptick. So this is healthier for me. A mind trick of course, but it works for me.
  • airforceman1978
    airforceman1978 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day at exactly 5 before I eat dinner my nutritionist says it's best to weigh the same time everyday. And I always round up to the nearest pound.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day at exactly 5 before I eat dinner my nutritionist says it's best to weigh the same time everyday. And I always round up to the nearest pound.

Do you work third shift? If not, what is the reasoning behind this odd recommendation?
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    I'd like to weigh just 1x a week but get curious if I have a couple good days of eating/exercise to see what happened. So I usually end up weighing myself 2-3x a week. :) But it's always naked, after my a.m. cup of coffee.
    It does get discouraging with the fluctuations scales can show, especially when I think I should show a loss and it shows I gained. But I'm trying to not let that bug me like it used to. :) Before I happened upon MFP I'd start going too long without checking the scales and pretty soon 10 extra # had jumped back on. :(
  • JenniferM1234
    JenniferM1234 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every Monday morning, but sometimes I forget and so it's Tuesday or Wednesday or the next Monday. We keep our scale in an under-the-sink cabinet so it's not always sitting there, staring at me, lol.

But yes, mornings when I do remember.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily every morning, after I use the bathroom, without clothes. I think track my weight in the weight trending app Libra, which helps smooth out fluctuations so I cna see how my weight is changing over time.
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, first thing in the morning (after going to the bathroom). I use the app Happy Scale to track my weight and get a moving average. For me, it takes away a lot of the anxiety I feel weighing less often, it gives a more accurate picture of my weight loss, and it helps me understand the fluctuations in my weight. I also feel like it helps put me in the right mindset for the rest of the day and think about the choices I’m making.

I will say the downside is that sometimes I do let those little fluctuations up bother me more than I should but overall daily weighing is the best option for me.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    Daily, naked, 1st thing in the morning after a trip to the loo (and brushing my teeth, just because, yuck).
  • dewit
    dewit Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

Great article! I knew some of this stuff, but there was still some I did not know. Ty :flowerforyou:
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning, right after I get up.
  • CarbsAndCompounds
    CarbsAndCompounds Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Every couple weeks, first thing in the morning!