Starting c25k...again :) updates as I go.

Options
2»

Replies

• littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Well done, you're doing so well.

I find it really helpful to have something to work for, helps move me out the door in the dark! It might be worth looking to see if there are any 5k fun runs near you around the time you'll finish the program. There are often fancy dress ones around Christmas time, you might even get the children interested if their old enough.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I second the 5k! If I don’t have a goal, I definitely flounder.... There is a Christmas one near us that coincides with the local parade so you are encouraged to dress up and have fun with it :) My husband and children are tagging along for this one - family of 6 for only $60. The kids have done some 1 mile fun runs, this will be their first longer distance.
  • Toria718
    Toria718 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    The 5k is a great idea! Thanks guys for the suggestion! I believe there is a Turkey Trot in my local area on Thanksgiving day...that's close lol Christmas ones are probably a better timing:)
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Do both! ;)

I didn’t think I was at all ready for the one I did at the beginning of the month but surprised myself that the only walking I did was the massive hill in the middle of it... you never know! Still slow as molasses, but that’s OK 👍
  • Toria718
    Options
    I just may and then update on here :) I think I can pull it off. Definitely will be slow lol.
  • RunStart34
    RunStart34 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I am glad your posting to keep you accountable. I am really motivated by reading your post.
  • Toria718
    Options
    Thank you @xhuerax :) it is one of the main factors I use to get my tail off the couch, especially when it is late and cold. I want to accomplish a goal for once in my life without quitting first. I also hate making my life, even a part of it, public. I don't do social media and even refuse to play multiplayer games on my son's xbox after I heard someone talking the first day we got it. So this whole thing is actually 2 lessons towards the same end, being a healthier person physically and mentally. Self confidence is the absolute goal no matter the scale number.
  • Toria718
    Options
    I just typed a whole thing and hit done instead of post...ugh.

Anyways long story short...dead phone, ran without my program, ran about halfway without stopping and walked the rest. Took a minute off my overall time before. Irritated with myself for forgetting to charge my phone.

Super tired, see you Thursday for the official week 2 day 2 post
  • Toria718
    Options
    Week 3 Day 2 done
    total distance/time 3.1miles/43:55 minutes
    app distance/time 1.94 miles/28 minutes

Another late cool night, this time though I got the dreaded pain in the right side while running. Ended up needing to change my breathing to match my gait starting with the left side. 2 strides inhale, 2 strides exhale, thankfully the pain did not last too long.

What lasted longer is the pain in my ankle from falling off the side of the road when a person kept their high beams of their truck on and I couldn't see. I am used to my ankle giving out and it twinging a bit, but this time it curled under me and I didn't have my brace on so it feels a little tender right now. It will be fine by morning, it always is.

Overall I am very happy with this run, I took around 40 seconds off my overall time and .03 miles more in the app section of the program. My asthma did not even flair up...what do you know lol.
  • Toria718
    Options
    Sorry everyone, last minute out of town soccer tournament this weekend, back to our regularly scheduled shenanigans monday evening.
  • Toria718
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Week 3 day 3 done
    Total distance/time: 3.1 miles/49:09
    App distance/time 1.76 miles/28:00

Ok it's done but let me tell you

Worst. Run. Ever!

That really sucks because I was looking forward to the run all day.

Started with can't find my headphones. As I start my run I notice that my music won't stay on for some reason. My calf muscles are so tight it takes 2.5 miles to loosen up. I will never run with a fanny pack again, but worst of all was the fact that my bottoms are not long enough and rode up my hooha. I have a chafing situation that will take a few days and aquaphor to heal. Definitely can tell there is an added 4 lbs of water on my frame.

That all being said I was really tempted to call my husband and have him come get me but decided to stick it out and finish the run. I just went ridiculously slowly and 6 sets of zombies chase me which only 2 caught me. Calves hurt like nobodies business after those sprints.

Oh oh oh and if all of that wasn't enough, my sports bra didn't want to sport so I had to nonchalantly hold my tats as I ran.

Sorry for the rant,
    Here's to Wednesday being better.

Eta: plus side now that I'm calmer...I got to play with some puppies on a walk for a min or two, well worth the added time as I was in a much better mood until I got home.
  • Toria718
    Options
    Week 4 Day 1 done
    Total distance/time: 3.1 miles/43:52
    App distance/time: 2.2 miles/31:30

I felt so much better today :) 2 lbs of water off my body and me calves not tight really helped. Today was the first day of getting longer time in, granted it is still a short time in the grand scheme of things. It was 5 minutes of warmups and then 3 min run/1.5 min walk, 5 min run/2.5 min walk, 3 min run/1.5 min walk, and a last 5 min run before cool down.

I wasn't sure I could finish it, during the 2nd 3 minute run I slowed down a smidge as I could hear my heartbeat in my ears. During the last 5 min run I had to take a 15 second walk break because I felt faint, at that point I was running at an incline. So I walked until the road was flat-ish again.

Remembering the proper gait is hard sometimes, I make my body use so much more energy trying to make me move when I push off with my calf muscles. When I focus on pushing thigh first I can run so much more efficiently. It was a tad nippy today but I didn't even mind the rain although seeing through misted glasses is sometimes hard lol.

Sorry again for the rant the other day,
    Laura
  • Toria718
    Options
    So sorry for the lapse. Been I'll and pre-tom symptoms have been worse than normal. Taking the drs recommendation about an antidepressant for pmdd. Haven't felt right the last 2 weeks, no motivation, no sleep, eating near or at maintenance. Luckily I am starting to feel a bit back to normal. Back to regular running tomorrow with a repeat of this week as I kinda got through it last week but it could have been better.

Sorry to anyone who is disappointed, I know what I need to do to fix myself next month.
  • Toria718
    Options
    Week 4 day 2 not done
    Went on a short run yesterday, didn't have any time Friday and had very limited time yesterday.

I went on a different route and underestimated how far I could run in that time. I ended up running 1.56 miles in 22 minutes. It was a lovely short run though. Nothing exciting except that it was 36 degrees and my lungs held up a lot better than I thought they would.

Going on a full run later today. Updates to come.
  • Zimm7
    Zimm7 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Please remember, nothing you do is set in stone. Don't force yourself to go on your run if you're dealing with an injury. Have a backup plan to get some activity in. Just don't make your workout time an ordeal... because that will discourage you in the long run. Your workout time should be invigorating and satisfying. Listen to your body. It will tell you what is best for your level of activity. Have alternate exercise plans so you stay in your exercise habit, and don't abandon everything if you have some non exercise days.
  • Toria718
    Options
    Ok back at it!
    Got a new fitbit band as mine broke and that was the motivation I needed today...along with some realizations. So without further ado.

Week 4 day 2 done!
    2.2 miles in 32 minutes

It was a great run! Even with the cold 36 degree day. I didn't have issues breathing, I was able to run without pain, and my body felt springy lol. The time (3min run then 5 minute run 2 times) didn't bother me but the last 2 minutes were a tad more challenging.

I changed several things over the last couple weeks. I let myself heal from the minute injury I had, I upped my calories, and I've shortened my run distance (for now)

I have been feeling awful the last month and noticed that I was over working my body. I completely forgot to reset my calories and was eating too few for what I was trying to accomplish. This led to about a week to 10 days of eating and not 100% logging accurately. Mmmmmm chocolate is all I can say.

I was pushing all of my energy during my c25k part of my run and trying to use what little left I had to continue running to finish the last mile and then eating quite a bit when I got home. I was extremely tired and felt the water retention sitting in my legs. Mix all of this with little quantity and quantity of sleep and I was a ticking time bomb. When the world seemed to implode on me I lurked on the forums to try and get a better idea of what was going on.

Since i have 65 lbs left to lose ( sitting at 200.0 today lol) I lowered my goals from 2 lbs a week loss to 1.5 lbs so I should be a lot more consistent with my runs and have the energy to put my absolute best into each run.

Thanks for waiting with me while I got my head back on straight and we'll see how this turns out:)
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Treat yourself to some new run kit, it makes all the difference in the world.

Although it happens to all of us, the other week I spent more than two hours hitching my knickers up every 2 minutes 'cos they wouldn't stay up!

One of the biggest things I have learned is to be kind to myself, some days it's glorious, and some days it's awful. Just keep plodding along.