Best running shoe?

Options
Hi all!

I have always been drawn to toning workouts: barre, Pilates, yoga, etc. However, I’m now trying to implement more running into my routine. It’s cheap, it’s nice to be outside, and I can do it on my own schedule.

All this said, I’m just reaching out about people’s top choice/suggestions for running shoes! I am leaning towards Brooks but wanted some opinions (e.g. cost/benefit, longevity, comfort, etc.) before solidifying my decision.
Thanks!

Replies

• Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    ASICS are my go-to brand. But I would suggest hitting up a running store who can test your gait and seeing what they suggest. The best running shoe depends on who is wearing it.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Asics are also my favourite, but you might hate them.

Absolutely go to a store, you need to try lots on, and might need to go up a half size.
    Also think about where you will be running, as a trail runner in the uk I need something different to someone who mostly runs on road in the sunshine.

Basically I need tractor tyres, they can have something more lightweight 😆
  • ptsgerry
    ptsgerry Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You definitely want to establish your pronation first. Having the wrong shoe would not be fun. All good shoes make various models to address each pronation type as well as arch support. Once you have determined your needs I would highly recommend two: Brooks & Mizuno. Which model, again, based on your needs. The cost of both are in par with all of them, mostly. Oh, and like littlegreenparrot suggested, definitely go with a 1/2 size up. Good luck, you'll love running. Especially outdoors.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    The best shoe is the one that fits properly and is appropriate for your gait. If you have a local running shop pay them a visit, most will offer a gait analysis and suggest appropriate shoes (they're all slightly different so take your time and try on a few different ones until you find shoes that fit perfectly) As far as quality goes you can't go wrong with any of the bigger names like Asics, Mizuno, Brooks, Saucony etc. If you want to save a few bucks the stores will often have discounts on last years models (idiotic, I know - they're not cars) or less popular colours.

This ^^^^

Runners will not recommend a brand or model. What works for me could be a disaster for you. Good luck.
  • emsmiley12
    emsmiley12 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much!! I definitely will seek out a local running store to identify what my gait is and what would best meet my personal needs as a runner. All of these comments helped!
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the above! I am somewhere in the middle with my shoe preferences. I went last year and got fitted at a minimalist shoe store after struggling with shin splints that were just getting worse due to heel striking (sharp pains with ever step!). I didn’t end up with a super minimal pair like @jm_1234 described, but one with a lower drop that still had more traditional cushion (Newton brand). It took a few months of retraining my brain and body but I was able to shift my stride and nip the shin splints.