"Healthy" Unhealthy Foods/Snacks

I was wondering, what are some foods/snacks that you know about that are labeled as healthy but, in fact, are not good for you?
For example rice cakes are known as a "weight loss snack" because they are low in calories but they don't provide any nutrients at all and you basically eat on nothing.
Same for the 0% fat yogurt, low in calories, easy to overeat and not filling at all.
What other foods or snacks like this do you know?

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited November 2019
    I've been buying nuts to eat nearly every day for the last four months from Tesco. They come in a 25g packet and have the calories on them (117kcal) so I fit them in nicely. If I bought a big packet, however, I would binge eat them. Little packets of things are an absolute lifesaver for me.

Lucky. I wish this worked for me. Asking me to eat one of those tiny packets is like asking me to eat one pringle, leaves me more unsatisfied than before. I only eat them in very limited situations that I strictly uphold: as part of a dish (like oatmeal, baked goods, salad garnish...etc), in shell (because it takes time and effort to break the shells and extract the nuts, and the empty shells make it look like I ate a lot), and if I'm willing to dedicate at least 800 calories for a reasonable portion.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,329 Member
    Slightly off topic but rice cakes have virtually no taste and are basically like eating polystyrene. Yet I find them quite addictive. It might be the amount of butter I put on them I guess 🤔
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Slightly off topic but rice cakes have virtually no taste and are basically like eating polystyrene. Yet I find them quite addictive. It might be the amount of butter I put on them I guess 🤔

I melt cheese on them. Warm and yummy! If you have a Trader Joe's nearby, their Unexpected Cheddar is perfect with rice cakes.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    This thread is a really good example of how different foods affect people in different ways. I eat my low-fat Greek yogurt because it is good for me, but I do not find it filling at all. Otoh, I can measure out 30 grams of pistachios and nibble them over an hour or so and feel quite content. I am also a fan of flavored rice cakes. Perfect for when you want that crunch, but don't have a lot of extra calories.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member

Yes, rice cakes are an excellent butter delivery device :lol:
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Yes, rice cakes are an excellent butter delivery device :lol:

I like the mini chocolate ones......ssshhhh
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Dazzlle22 wrote: »
    I was wondering, what are some foods/snacks that you know about that are labeled as healthy but, in fact, are not good for you?
    For example rice cakes are known as a "weight loss snack" because they are low in calories but they don't provide any nutrients at all and you basically eat on nothing.
    Same for the 0% fat yogurt, low in calories, easy to overeat and not filling at all.
    What other foods or snacks like this do you know?

I would consider something like a rice cake to be benign...I wouldn't really consider it to be a nutritious snack, but I also wouldn't consider it to be something "bad" for you either...but it's pretty much like eating cardboard. I actually don't think I've seen one since my mom ate them in the 80s.

I eat 0% Greek Yogurt all of the time...it has plenty of nutrients and is packed with a good amount of protein for the calories and a good source of probiotics. I can get my fats elsewhere and not likely use those calories on a snack.

To that end, I never really think of a snack as something that should be filling...it's just tiding me over to a meal or in some cases "supplementing" certain nutrients (usually protein).