Pre and Post Workout Snack

Options
My pre is usually a banana and a handful of mixed nuts. Depending on the time of day, I also have a cup of black coffee or green tea.

My post is usually a pb&j on wheat toast or a fage plain yogurt with granola/fruit.

What's yours?

Replies

• Dazzlle22
    Dazzlle22 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it's considered a "snack" but I always have a whey protein shake after I exercise, it's like my "reward" or a pat on the back after finishing my workout, as for the pre-workout snack, I always have a fruit or two.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Don't usually have a pre, just coffee, but as you that depends on time of day.
    Post, something with protein.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Breakfast about an hour or so before (toast with peanut butter and jam, plus espresso) then another espresso and a bit of candy before and during. Post is lunch.. usually chicken or shrimp with vegetables or leftovers
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    A lot of times I won’t eat before a workout but if I’m running 6+ miles or just am particularly hungry in the morning I usually grab a bagel. After my workout I have breakfast which is usually egg whites with a bit of cheese sprinkled in, bacon, and hashbrowns. Sometimes I’ll make an omelette with mushroom and bell peppers cooked in a bit of coconut oil 😋
  • Lobsterboxtops
    Lobsterboxtops Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    On the weekends when I try for longer rows, I’ll often have a couple of ounces of beef jerky...I like the Kirkland steak jerky. During the week I don’t eat anything and the have breakfast about an hour later.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Fruit, Greek yoghurt and biscuits before; lucozade sport or dextrose tablets during (and sometimes a banana or small chocolate bar) then a meal after, usually something like fish and loads of veggies or lasagne, and a protein shake.

I eat quite a lot 😳
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Nothing before, then a protein slushy afterwards. Maybe some carbs, depending if blood sugars decided to dive too much. (diabetic, so need to check after)
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    A banana before a long run or if I’m really hungry.

Dinner after. Or if it’s a long run (12+ miles) then a recovery shake/snack. I also take in calories during a long run.

Mostly nothing special though because I don’t burn enough calories in a workout to support having snacks before/after (and unless I’m really hungry, I don’t find them necessary).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,406 Member
    Options
    Usually it's just meals. Most often, my cardio-type workouts are in the AM, so I eat a light breakfast before (kefir, peanut butter on pita would be typical). I usually eat lunch soon after unless we go out for coffee after on-water rowing, in which case I'd be having a large plain skim latte (skim milk = protein and sugars, of course caffeine).

If I haven't eaten recently and feel a little low-energy before a strength workout later in the day, I might have a light snack, sometimes just a green-apple caramel sucker (60 calories, pretty much pure sugar), or cheese and crackers. If it's a long time until dinner, I might have a protein-y snack after (strength training makes me hungry, for some reason ;) ), like Greek yogurt/fruit, cottage cheese, or some crispy chickpeas.

For a while I was taking a kettlebell class immediately after spin class, and found I'd do better (more energy in kettlebell, better recovery) if I had a small snack with carbs, sometimes a just-apples applesauce packet, sometimes a small chocolate milk, because those were easy to put in my gym bag and eat quickly in the very few minutes between classes.
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    MCeeCee wrote: »
    My pre is usually a banana and a handful of mixed nuts. Depending on the time of day, I also have a cup of black coffee or green tea.

My post is usually a pb&j on wheat toast or a fage plain yogurt with granola/fruit.

What's yours?

I workout fasted in the morning and then have breakfast a couple of hours after I finish. Be careful that you're not overcompensating for your workout calories and eating too much.
  • foreverblissful
    foreverblissful Posts: 50 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I don't have a pre-workout snack since I workout early in the morning. I just eat breakfast. After my workout I've recently started eating my protein bars in the period I spend between a workout session and lunch, since I found that I was becoming cranky, and lethargic if I wait until lunch. I know most protein bars, including the atkins, protein one and zone perfect bars are more of a candy bar than health-food, but it's like my pat on the back for working up a good sweat! I don't count this as a snack, but I will also drink whatever is left in my 22oz waterbottle along with my protein bar, AND THEN drink 8oz of whatever tea I feel like that day(chamomile, darjeeling, roobis cinnamon, jasmine green etc.). The liquids plus the bar help me feel satiated until lunch, sometimes a little too well!
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Like others, I typically workout too early to have time to eat and when I do workout later in the morning (around 7am), I don't feel the need to eat anything. On occasions when I workout in the evening I'll either not have anything (outside of lunch) or I'll have a very light meal/snack, though that's dependent on how early in the evening I'm working out. Last Wednesday it was a cup of carrot soup.

Tomorrow will be my first morning of erging for around an hour followed by weight lifting two hours later. In that case I will have a bagel with butter and some whey protein in between.
  • filster132
    filster132 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I workout way too early, so I just have a protein shake before....and a protein shake after combined with 1/2 cup of Almond Milk + All Bran after my workout. It's simple.
  • umbramirror
    umbramirror Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I used to work out fasted since I do early morning workouts (around 4:30 a.m.) but started to find that this was not conducive for the efficiency of my workouts. I typically eat dinner around 6 p.m. the night before and having fasted for about 10 hours, my body is in need of a little something just before a workout. I typically have a protein bar (with as many natural ingredients as possible) and then I follow up my workout with breakfast which is typically high in protein as well, with a decent amount of carbs and some healthy fat.