My wife has left me

Options
I'm 52 and my wife announced she has fallen out of love with me, she has moved out, she is going to move 200 miles away and start a new life on her own.
I'm devastated, 20 years gone.
I'm hurting, so upset, feel helpless.
I don't work, I live in the countryside and I have anxiety about going out, I rarely see anyone.
Any advice ?

Replies

• andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    @ BZAH10
    Wow, I can't think what reason.
    We moved here 7 years ago, so no family close by, I called my sister, she is so nice, but never single.
    I feel it's wrong to burden my son's with this.
    Thanks for your words
  • keodell1966
    keodell1966 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I’m so sorry this is happening. Therapy might be good, just to talk about your thoughts and feelings. Sounds like this is fairly new, maybe your wife is going thru something herself. You just work on YOU!🙂
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    It's new and raw, a huge major change for you and you must feel lost right now. Give yourself time to grieve the loss of your marriage. And yes, find someone to talk to; whoever you'd feel comfortable with. Maybe a local support group for someone in your situation? Online forums? A close friend? Write down all your feelings, good, bad, sad, everything. Try not to think too far into the future, you'll feel overwhelmed. Set small goals for yourself. And don't forget to keep taking care of yourself! It wouldn't help matters at all if you neglect you in all of this.
    I'm truly sorry you're going through this. Some day you will feel stronger, more able than you feel right now. You've just had the wind knocked out of your sails, it's going to take awhile for you to feel stronger. But you can and will get to that point.
    Wishing you the very best of luck and please keep reaching out here! I'm learning the people here are amazing.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    andysport1 wrote: »
    Bex953172 wrote: »
    Sorry this has happened.
    It's gonna be hard for quite a while. And I think you should expect it to be!
    But talking to someone is something you should DEFINITELY do!
    I don't think your sons would see you as a burden! Are you worried that if they see you this upset they will be annoyed with their mum? And possibly cause tension between them?
    (assuming they are the children from this marriage)
    If that's so then get on to a counsellor, they can also help you get your anxiety in check and really help you live a happier life.
    I had anxiety mixed in with depression and I didn't go anywhere. My counsellor told me to find things to do in my area, plan them into a diary then ACTUALLY go, no matter how scared, how nervous, how I expected it to go. And every single time it was nothing like my head made it out to be and it really helped me relax a bit and find myself again.
    There is no shame in asking for help! It makes you a stronger person!

And you say you're 52? Are you worried finding a new partner (when you're ready of course) will be difficult because of you're age?
    Well when my grandad died my nana was 72 and she had a new boyfriend at 75 and he made her SO happy!
    Love can happen at any age! But you won't meet people by staying inside!

So grieve for the loss of your marriage, focus on the positives it brought and look to what you can achieve in the future. Getting your health back, your mental health on track, your sociality. And just take one step at a time, there will be tough times ahead, especially now but you'll remember this post one day and realise things did get better!

Yes our children belong to us both, I do not want to bad mouth my wife to my sons.

Of course you don’t want to speak badly about your wife to your sons., but they are probably hurting as well. How old are they? Are your boys with you? Perhaps family counseling may be beneficial. Are you in counseling for your anxiety about going out? I live in the country as well, so I understand it can get lonely.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 has some great advice. Please listen to what she says and follow what works for you. Whatever you do, don't close yourself off, and do reach out for support.
  • andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Sorry this has happened.
    I don't think your sons would see you as a burden! Are you worried that if they see you this upset they will be annoyed with their mum? And possibly cause tension between them?
    If that's so then get on to a counsellor, they can also help you get your anxiety in check and really help you live a happier life.
    I had anxiety mixed in with depression and I didn't go anywhere. My counsellor told me to find things to do in my area, plan them into a diary then ACTUALLY go, no matter how scared, how nervous, how I expected it to go. And every single time it was nothing like my head made it out to be and it really helped me relax a bit and find myself again.

And you say you're 52? Are you worried finding a new partner (when you're ready of course) will be difficult because of you're age?
    Well when my grandad died my nana was 72 and she had a new boyfriend at 75 and he made her SO happy!

So grieve for the loss of your marriage, focus on the positives it brought and look to what you can achieve in the future. Getting your health back, your mental health on track, your sociality. And just take one step at a time, there will be tough times ahead, especially now but you'll remember this post one day and realise things did get better!

Yes our children belong to us both, I do not want to bad mouth my wife to my sons.

Of course you don’t want to speak badly about your wife to your sons., but they are probably hurting as well. How old are they? Are your boys with you? Perhaps family counseling may be beneficial. Are you in counseling for your anxiety about going out? I live in the country as well, so I understand it can get lonely.

Yes i have counselling for anxiety
    Children 34, 25, 17
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Sorry man, that's really intense. Good advice here already. I'd just add to search through subs on Reddit because there are several focused on mental well-being and dealing with emotional shocks like this. The sidebars will have helpful resources/links/books.
    Read some good CBT books and focus on building a new social life, 'cuz that's vital. Keep exercising.
    Add me on here if you want. Good luck, buddy.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Sorry this has happened.

Yes i have counselling for anxiety
    Children 34, 25, 17

Great@counseling. Do you have a boxing or MMA gym you can commute to? A disciplined controlled physical outlet is also necessary for healing. Maybe a rugby club close by?
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    this is devastating, I have been thru it. The gym kind of saved my life. I worked out and came home exhausted. Take care of you. Later I met someone that was wonderful. It was soooo hard at the time!