Getting Started....Again.

Options
So, I'm the type that gets so motivated to start my "weightloss journey" and I stick with it for a few days but once my plan gets shifted or interrupted by one thing I tend to just throw it all out the window. I have yet to find the one thing that helps me commit to this better lifestyle. Maybe I'm lacking pumped up music, support, or realistic goals...no matter what though, I'm always coming back to wanting to improve my health mentally and physically.
Anyone just starting out again and searching for some support? 🙋. If you have something that keeps you motivated and helps you stick to your plan, let me know!! 👇🏻💬

Replies

• cinnygirl38
    cinnygirl38 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Motivation wanes, no matter who you are. Discipline. You must have it. Life happens. You fall off, you get back on. Simple as that. I know it's not easy. BTDT.
  • DanielMackey1
    DanielMackey1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. I know exactly what your saying with just one life event derailing the whole thing. In fact I have been tripped up a few times. I have found though that assigning one day a week for reflection and working out gets me back on track. The day that works for me is either a Friday or Sunday. No matter what, even if the week has destroyed my routine I will take my day and get everything right. We all know life will happen so it is paramount to have a plan B. Luckily I usually don't string together multiple hectic weeks so this has worked and is really good for the mindstate. Welcome back and good luck to you.
  • laurensteib11
    laurensteib11 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I feel the same exact way. I usually start out doing way to much and I think that’s what gets me discouraged. So my new game plan is to start small so I can have tiny wins and gain more confidence and hopefully build a habit. Good luck to you in your fitness journey ! If you ever want to chat I’m here !
  • elfin168
    elfin168 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    small changes over a long time are the secret to success. put a dollar in a jar for a year and you have $365 do it for 2 years...etc. Sadly good things take time. try to achieve too much at once and you will fail
  • finktart
    finktart Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm starting out again but lately it's been rather discouraging. I feel down but I can't share it with anyone around me because it seems that they don't understand where I'm coming from. I used to weigh a good 60kg but over the past 5 years, my weight yoyo-ed. By 2016, it went up to 68kg, but when my relationship back then failed, it went back down to 63kg. Then it went up to 70 and now I'm a depressing 80kg. I tried counting my calories. The sad thing is that, 2 weeks ago before I started counting, I was 78kg. Why is it so difficult to keep this discipline 😩
  • ClaytonsDad1208
    ClaytonsDad1208 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think the key is to not be so hard on yourself. I believe it is easier to refocus if you don’t treat each setback as a major problem. Lose focus for a day, week, month, whatever. Just don’t beat yourself up. If you take three steps forward and two steps back, you’re still a step ahead. Be kind to you.
  • ellie117
    ellie117 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    You have to find something that works for you, so it becomes a habit rather than a chore.

Choose an eating routine that you can stick to. If you've tried 'fad' diets in the past with no success, then try something more sustainable. Figure out your calorie deficit and stick to it. Pre-logging your food can also help you stay on track for the day.

For me, I cannot cut out any food or macro entirely. I eat the foods that I want, but in smaller portions. Any 'diet' that said I can't eat bread or cheese would be the death of me. And going to the gym is kind of like going to work. I don't like to get up and go every day, but I like my paycheck every two weeks. I don't like going to the gym, but I like the scale number every two weeks. I stream Netflix when I do cardio, to keep my mind occupied and make the time pass faster. Music doesn't help motivate me.
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Set small goals. Two lbs or three. Plan meals ahead. Be sure to pick things you like. Go for a walk. Drink lots of water. Find an eating schedule that works for you. I have to be careful about snacking, so I eat later in the day. (Breakfast around 11:45 and so on.). I also love peanut butter, so I measure carefully, but have it for lunch on a toasted Arnold’s thin most days. You can do this!
  • laurendekker23
    laurendekker23 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm starting over again as well! I lost 20+ pounds last year and after so much restricting I went crazy and now I gained all that weight back. Starting over to hopefully lose all that weight again. Goal is to lose the 20+ pounds by June :D
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    Success in this arena relies heavily on mindset. Like others mentioned, and you've experienced firsthand, reliance on motivation won't reliably get you where you want to go. Foster structured discipline by actively supporting habits that contribute to your overall goals and break those that work against them. Consistency and sustained accumulation of daily victories is how the most successful users on the platform achieve their goals.

Get out of the "ugh, starting over" cycle. Whenever you "fail" figure out why, move on, and decide to "fail better" the next time. This iterative introspective approach allows us to learn what does and doesn't work for us and/or where we need to remove obstacles or dedicate more energy to overcome. To use a running metaphor, marathoners aren't penalized and sent back to the starting line if they stumble or fall along the way.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    You can call a diet a lifestyle but if you approach it like a diet it is still a diet.

Do you typically need to be motivated to live a normal day? How long would you be able to keep that up? A week or a month? A lifestyle is years and year if not for the rest of your life. You will always burn out if you try to treat each day like it was a "game day" and you need to be pumped up to get through it.

Instead of making you goal to lose weight make it to change your idea of normal into something that also results in weight loss. Don't worry about how long it will take to get that done making small changes... after all... you want a lifestyle.

You should not be trying to force weight loss. You should be allowing it to happen.

You do not try to postpone your happiness to later and you do not restrict foods thinking you can have them again after the weight is gone. That is a diet.
  • Reneecarla
    Reneecarla Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes I’m starting over again! Lost 10lbs last year, feels like I have gain 20lbs back, I’m just trying to live a healthier lifestyle. I looking for encouragement and success stories to stay motivated! My goal is to be 10lbs lighter by February.
  • No_Knock
    No_Knock Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    In the same boat. There is something about starting fresh that seems so hopeful. It eventually levels out. It's what happens in between that counts. Between starting and success. I have to get back to focusing on the in between.
  • lindaveronica4
    lindaveronica4 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Glad to know I’m not the only one, I recently got a divorce and I guess you can say that’s what sparked it up again, I feel different about this time, I don’t know if it’s because I’m single now or if it’s because I actually have time for my self now. Either way I’m ready!