Workout before or after breakfast???

I'm starting my get back to my healthy me adventure and I've heard both sides; eat 30 minutes before workout is best. Workout before breakfast is best. How do I know what's best for me?

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    We’re all different. I went to the gym for an hour workout at 4:30 a.m. Breakfast was at about 6 a.m.

See what works for you.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Before for me so I don't have a bunch of food sloshing around in my belly.
  • Cricketmad88
    Cricketmad88 Posts: 415 Member
    Guess it also depends on what you are doing, for me if doing weights I eat 30 mins before if running I eat after so don't feel ill.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    LPyMP wrote: »
    I'm starting my get back to my healthy me adventure and I've heard both sides; eat 30 minutes before workout is best. Workout before breakfast is best. How do I know what's best for me?[/quote]
    By trying it out and seeing how you like it, how if effects you, how it fits in YOUR schedule, et al. Your life, your exercise, your decision.
  • AndyPage2106
    AndyPage2106 Posts: 2 Member
    edited November 2019
    My daily routine starts at 8am fasted cardio , 60g porridge at 10am then back for weight training
    Personally this works better for me because when weights every set is to failure cardio before takes some away cardio after is ugh no way
    If weights early then I will carb up 30 mins before
  • mjhooperii
    mjhooperii Posts: 11 Member
    I do running and I always eat something small first thing in AM (Yogurt, banana, sometimes something more if I'm going a long distance), then have a light continuation for short runs (i.e. Some eggs + Toast) or If I'm burning 1000+ calories I go for broke and devour some pancakes and lean meats :smile:
  • ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    I prefer before b fast so then after you can enjoy a nice recovery meal and replenish things like glycogen!
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Try both and see.

I run before work on weekdays, there's no time to eat first and wait long enough, so just have some juice and crack on.
    I am ravenous by the time I get it though!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    LPyMP wrote: »
    I'm starting my get back to my healthy me adventure and I've heard both sides; eat 30 minutes before workout is best. Workout before breakfast is best. How do I know what's best for me?

There is no "best" other than whatever time will work best for you to actually do it.

My primary form of exercise is cycling and mountain biking...the "best" time for me is highly dependent on the season. In the summer, the best time for me is early morning around sunrise...otherwise I'm out there in 100F+ temps. The best time for me in the fall is after work because it's too dark in the AM. The best time for me when we're on standard time for winter is during my lunch break because it's too dark and cold in the AM or PM when I get home from work.
  • peachvine29
    peachvine29 Posts: 400 Member
    Whatever works best for you!

For me, I eat a 250 call bfast sandwich, then commute to my work gym, lift, then have some cottage cheese/fruit after as a post workout snack.

If I was planning to run, I'd consider skipping breakfast. Eating before cardio makes me feel yucky and sick.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,515 Member
    Jogging or swimming (generally <1hr): before breakfast. Otherwise, barf-o-matic. Cycling or hiking (generally for 1hr+): after breakfast. Otherwise, bonk-o-matic. Generally, hard short workouts seem to go better with little or no food in the stomach. Longer somewhat easier workouts require fuel of some sort.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    edited November 2019
    When I used to work out before work I brought a smoothie in a leak-proof shaker cup, so during :lol:

Actually, before, during, and after.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    I always exercise before eating, less risk of reflux that way.
  • mrsjar5311
    mrsjar5311 Posts: 514 Member
    I go at the gym at 5am. There's no chance in hell of eating then! I usually have breakfast around 11am or don't have any. It's not delibrate. It's thanks to having little babies back to back and forgetting to feed myself so I'm used to not eating early in the day.
  • CarbsAndCompounds
    CarbsAndCompounds Posts: 281 Member
    I always feel better when I have something in my stomach before I train! I usually eat a bowl of oatmeal and some fruit and then after I will eat again. Try both ways and see which way you like better.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    cardio - eat after
    weights - eat first
    mostly due to habit and someone telling me to do so some 20 yrs ago. I doubt it matters either way, personal preference in such matters almost always trumps the minor advantages (if any) you will notice.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    cardio - eat after
    weights - eat first
    mostly due to habit and someone telling me to do so some 20 yrs ago. I doubt it matters either way, personal preference in such matters almost always trumps the minor advantages (if any) you will notice.

I'm like this also. I think it's more about timing, though. I can do my cardio at home as soon as I get up, and don't have the time to eat first and then wait for it to settle. And food in my belly is not a good feeling when bouncing or running around. I go to the gym for weights, so I eat something first.
  • jeffjeff85
    jeffjeff85 Posts: 118 Member
    cardio - eat after
    weights - eat first

I agree strength training eat first / cardio eat after.
    But I disagree that it doesnt matter ( it does matter). 😏
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Trial and error..... I usually workout fasted in the morning (running, riding, rowing) but will typically do my strength workouts in the evening after dinner (allowing some time after to digest). If I'm racing it's a different story, I'll eat something light (eg toast & PB and a banana) a couple of hours before the race and then, depending on the length, supplement with gels/energy bars/Roctane (during a triathlon most of my nutrition is taken on the bike followed by gels during the run).

Try working out fasted and after eating and see how you feel (for me it's mostly avoiding exercise on a full stomach)