Google buys Fitbit for $2.1 billion

Under the deal, Fitbit will be joining Google itself. (It’s similar to the current situation with Nest, which is wholly under Google now, compared to when Alphabet had originally acquired the smart home company but left it as a separate division under the corporate structure.)

The acquisition makes a lot of sense: Google has spent years trying (and largely failing) to break into the wearables market with its Wear OS platform, but it’s struggled to make a real impact.

Fitbit’s hardware chops have always been great, giving Google a much stronger foundation to build on for future Android-integrated wearables devices. And the company’s strong focus on fitness tracking could naturally be integrated into Google’s existing Google Fit apps, too, offering Google a solid alternative to the Apple Watch’s deep fitness tracking integration with the iPhone.

On the flip side, Google’s software skills and wide developer support could help Fitbit’s smartwatches like the Versa get a little smarter, alongside the deeper software integration with Android that a closer relationship could offer.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/1/20943318/google-fitbit-acquisition-fitness-tracker-announcement

Google says they'll keep your health data private and not use it to target you with ads.

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Facebook wanted to buy Fitbit as well. Google has deeper pockets, which was obviously the deciding factor. I think I'd be even more creeped out by FB buying them if I was a user, but wouldn't be happy either way.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/1/20943825/facebook-google-fitbit-acquire-fitness-tracking-report
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Under the deal, Fitbit will be joining Google itself. (It’s similar to the current situation with Nest, which is wholly under Google now, compared to when Alphabet had originally acquired the smart home company but left it as a separate division under the corporate structure.)

The acquisition makes a lot of sense: Google has spent years trying (and largely failing) to break into the wearables market with its Wear OS platform, but it’s struggled to make a real impact.

Fitbit’s hardware chops have always been great, giving Google a much stronger foundation to build on for future Android-integrated wearables devices. And the company’s strong focus on fitness tracking could naturally be integrated into Google’s existing Google Fit apps, too, offering Google a solid alternative to the Apple Watch’s deep fitness tracking integration with the iPhone.

On the flip side, Google’s software skills and wide developer support could help Fitbit’s smartwatches like the Versa get a little smarter, alongside the deeper software integration with Android that a closer relationship could offer.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/1/20943318/google-fitbit-acquisition-fitness-tracker-announcement

Google says they'll keep your health data private and not use it to target you with ads.

:D

• Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    That last line is a joke and I don't believe them for a second. Either way, I am happy having better fitness tracking being an Android user.
  • unstableunicorn
    unstableunicorn Posts: 216 Member
    As long as they don’t screw iOS users, couldn’t care less. Would much rather Google be calling the shots than Facebook.
  • NorthCascades
    Wait a minute, you folks don't trust a company who's motto used to be "don't be evil" until they dropped it for being quaint? 😆
  • NorthCascades
    Here's an article implicitly encouraging people to delete their Fitbit days before Google takes over. Has instructions how.

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2019/11/4/20947891/fitbit-data-delete-how-to-google-acquisition
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    I just switched to a Garmin and was kinda bummed/irked to have to change apps, but this news helps ease the irritation from that decision!

Facebook taking over would have been sketchy... I would have ran away quickly!
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Thank you so much. I'll be sure to NOT get a fitbit!
  • NorthCascades
    In other news, Google recently slurped up health records of 50 million Americans without their knowledge. They provide not to misuse them. 🙄
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    In other news, Google recently slurped up health records of 50 million Americans without their knowledge. They provide not to misuse them. 🙄

I would be 100000% more worried about this Ascension stuff than anything to do with Fitbit. That’s actual health information, history, conditions, test results, etc with actual names.

Fitbit is...steps; weight, hours of sleep with a username? Have at it with that. I’m about 100% sure Google already has all that info from one place or another.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    edited November 2019

I would be 100000% more worried about this Ascension stuff than anything to do with Fitbit. That’s actual health information, history, conditions, test results, etc with actual names.

Fitbit is...steps; weight, hours of sleep with a username? Have at it with that. I’m about 100% sure Google already has all that info from one place or another.

As well as location data (which google has if you have an android phone), HR data, and exercise data (among other things I'm sure). I would be unsurprised if that information works its way into how Google targets ads. Yes I realize that they said otherwise, but really...
  • Duck_Puddle
    aokoye wrote: »

As well as location data (which google has if you have an android phone), HR data, and exercise data (among other things I'm sure). I would be unsurprised if that information works its way into how Google targets ads. Yes I realize that they said otherwise, but really...

I don’t have any doubt that Fitbit info (Whatever they don’t already have from any of 100 other sources) will work it’s way into Google ads.

But I don’t really see anything in my Fitbit dats as “health” info (Except perhaps weight) and I’m not sure any of it even qualifies as PHI.

I DO have huge concerns that they have accessed actual health/treatment records from Multiple Ascension medical facilities - unbeknownst to the treating physicians or the patients.

I don’t have any doubt that google already knows that I went for a run from any of the 17 apps/services where that info is stored. I really don’t care. It’s not a secret. My neighbors know too. So does Instagram, Twitter and Facebook (if I had an account). This isn’t private health info to me.

I DO care that they have accessed my health and treatment records and have my medical history, diagnosis(es), treatments, etc. If I have gotten care at an Ascension facility. That is way more worrisome than the nonsense in my Fitbit account.
  • JenniferM1234
    JenniferM1234 Posts: 173 Member
    edited November 2019
    Sheeeeeeesh. I was toying with the idea of starting up with a Fitbit since I can't fit my phone (with its step counter) in my leggings when I'm on the treadmill, and I'd like to have those steps "count" towards my digital health profile. Forget it, not going to happen. I trust Google (and Facebook) with my data as much as I trust a toddler with a cupcake she's not supposed to lick.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Great. I'm looking forward to searching for my exercises and getting everything BUT the thing I searched for. :neutral:
  • NorthCascades

I'm sure they're going to combine them. Patient X was diagnosed as pre-diabetic, doctor recommended getting more exercise among other things. Did they? Add a detailed weight and HR history for people who don't see a doctor regularly. In a perfect world all of that information could be used to help people better manage their health, but...

I do agree with you that the Ascention news is far more troubling. I feel like the relevance to Fitbit is that users now have to decide whether to trust Google with their data, and they're not acting very trustworthy.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member

I don’t have any doubt that Fitbit info (Whatever they don’t already have from any of 100 other sources) will work it’s way into Google ads.

But I don’t really see anything in my Fitbit dats as “health” info (Except perhaps weight) and I’m not sure any of it even qualifies as PHI.

I DO have huge concerns that they have accessed actual health/treatment records from Multiple Ascension medical facilities - unbeknownst to the treating physicians or the patients.

I don’t have any doubt that google already knows that I went for a run from any of the 17 apps/services where that info is stored. I really don’t care. It’s not a secret. My neighbors know too. So does Instagram, Twitter and Facebook (if I had an account). This isn’t private health info to me.

I DO care that they have accessed my health and treatment records and have my medical history, diagnosis(es), treatments, etc. If I have gotten care at an Ascension facility. That is way more worrisome than the nonsense in my Fitbit account.

I don't disagree with you with regards to the Ascension partnership. However that doesn't mean that Google, or any other company, is only allowed to be criticized for their more egregious issues. If I'm pissed off because of the way in which Nike and Phil Knight choose to support the University of Oregon, that doesn't mean that I'm not also outraged by the way in which they treat the women they sponsor.
  • Duck_Puddle

I don't disagree with you with regards to the Ascension partnership. However that doesn't mean that Google, or any other company, is only allowed to be criticized for their more egregious issues. If I'm pissed off because of the way in which Nike and Phil Knight choose to support the University of Oregon, that doesn't mean that I'm not also outraged by the way in which they treat the women they sponsor.

Agreed. We don’t just criticize the worst offense and allow the rest to slide.

I just (IMO) don’t really have any concerns about the extremely limited and not really private data in my Fitbit account. So I’m not really considering that an issue. I understand others don’t feel the same. That’s their choose as well.

If google wants to offer me even more ads for sleep aids, running stuff and weight loss stuff because they have my Fitbit info? So be it.

I do absolutely have a problem with the ascension bit because that is extremely private and legally protected health information. That’s my medical history, diagnosis and procedure codes, prescriptions, etc. I am not ok with anyone who doesn’t need access (eg my medical professionals, insurance to pay the claims, etc), having access to that info. Google does not need access.

So my comments are not picking the worst thing-it’s that of the things, the ascension thing is the one I have a problem with (the other-meh. Is my extremely limited Fitbit data really that big a deal? Not to me).
  • hansep0012
    hansep0012 Posts: 385 Member
    Truth in Lending: I am stirring the Fitbit / Google pot!

Does anyone else have a lurking suspicion that health data (however it is collected) will very soon be used to offer me healthcare choices and influence the price of said healthcare?

If the Fitbit HR reads high and my last blood work from my provider shows elevated A1C (pre-diabetic) will the insurance company's offers for my coverage change with this data? Will this be combined with 23 & Me and figure that my family DNA has a higher than average chance of a specific cancer?