Total carbs or is it Net in daily log?

Options
palkuri97
palkuri97 Posts: 2 Member
In the daily food log. The total grams of carbs is it net carbs for the day?

Replies

• ValerieDLC
    ValerieDLC Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    So there is no accurate way to count net carb without doing it manually? Why cant the US catch up!
  • KristaMac88
    KristaMac88 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    There is an app called carb manager and you can set it to count net carbs and it will automatically do it for you
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't do it automatically, but it does track carbs and fiber, just subtract the fiber total for the day from the carb total, and you've got your net. Easy peasy! Or... download an app made just for that purpose.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    It depends on what entries you use. US and Canadian entries (including the USDA ones) are going to be total carbs, entries from other countries and those created specifically to be net carb are going to be net carb.

So neither net carb nor total carb is correct, as it depends on what you log.

Since I'm in the US and mostly used the USDA entries for whole foods when logging at MFP, I logged total carbs and subtracted fiber if I wanted to determine net carbs. I think that's the best way since it's important to pay attention to fiber anyway, IMO. However if someone is logging mostly UK entries, they shouldn't think they also should subtract fiber as that would not be correct. They would already be logging net carbs.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    ValerieDLC wrote: »
    So there is no accurate way to count net carb without doing it manually? Why cant the US catch up!

Catch up with what? Keto and low carb is a bit of a craze these days, but many people aren't following that and don't have any need to calculate net carbs.