How do I eat all that?

Options
How do I eat all my cals? I ride my bike about 1.5hr a day 5-6 days a week. Thats about 1000 to 1200 cals. My fit cals is 1580. I cant eat that much food! What can I do?

Replies

• Happy0326
    Happy0326 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I don't think you have to eat all your exercise calories back. As long as you eat atleast 1200 aday your doing good.
  • FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Nuts, Peanut Butter, Avocado. All high calorie but good for you food.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Well get a healthy salad dressing, that always adds up, but I really don't know what to say so heres a bump!!
  • mckshowie
    mckshowie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    you can't eat that much food?! how the heck did you end up on this site...
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Get a spoon, open a jar of peanut butter, dip spoon in, NOM xD
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

Once you make the TRUE lifestyle change, some people can't eat that much. I surely don't eat that much every day at all anymore. I however, don't eat back my exercise cals, but thats just me.
  • zohars
    zohars Posts: 29
    Options
    Lots of high-calorie good snacks. Nuts are a great one (healthy fats, dense so you don't have to eat too many). You can also try eating more small meals, and once you've been good for most of that food, something that's not *strictly* healthy is always an option.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    find out your true BMR and don't drop your cals below that! Eat nuts, fruit, etc.
  • rrrbecca11
    rrrbecca11 Posts: 477
    Options

Not everyone is here because they want or need to lose weight. It's a fitness tool also.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Pre-log your workouts earlier in the day and spread your calories around during the day with healthy whole foods. It's actually pretty easy (the pre-logging works well for me).

There's a lot on MFP about eating back all or 1/2 of your exercise calories. You have to do what works for you. Eating back NONE of them is not going to lead to weight loss. You have to fuel your body to lose the weight especially if you are active as you are.

Check out Everyday Food Magazine (or the recipes online) for healthy easy weeknight meals. Check out www.snackgirl.com for healthy snack ideas.

Don't fill up those extra calories with processed foods.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options

I am not here because I ate way too much food. Ive always been a healthy weight. Im here to get a competition body.

No matter how they got here this is just RUDE :noway:
  • NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Where are you getting the calorie burn for the bike ride? It sounds a bit high to me. I wear a heart rate monitor, and when I use the bike at 14 mph for 45 min, I only burn about 200 calories. So, you may want to figure out how much you are actually burning.
  • gaeljo
    gaeljo Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    They are called power smoothies BABY! I have the exact issue, or rather HAD the exact issue. Make yourself a pre-ride and post-ride smoothie. Nothing packs on calories like a good smoothie. Here is one of my favorite high calorie recipes:
    1 mango (organic)
    1 cup blueberries (organic)
    1 scoop hemp protein powder (organic) sometimes I use Vega it's up to you.
    3-4 dates ground in a coffee grinder or food processor (organic)
    1 tablespoon organic agave nector
    1 teaspoon of coconut mana or coconut oil (organic)
    12 oz of coconut water (organic)
    8 oz of organic unsweetened soy milk

Put all this in a blender drink half before your ride and half after.
    This is a 800-1000 calorie smoothie. I use it before and after all my triathlons.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Smoothies/shakes, olive oil, nut butters.....
  • felixleveron
    Options
    I ride on average 30miles. My average speed is 18mph. Im trying to get in shape to ride a 100mile ride in Texas. I want to get down to 165lbs. im at 177lbs.
  • cmath81
    cmath81 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    same thing happened to me yesterday! I ran 5 miles and had 450 calories left at the end of the day. There was no way I could eat anymore.
    I guess I will add a serving of nuts or seeds today.

I think its very important we stay close to the calories given. I have struggled with my weight all my life. Ran the marathon 4 times and just completed a half ironman. I truly believe I have not lost the weight because I did not balance my calories correctly - eating too few some days and then binging others because I was "starving".

Here is a good article that I quick googled:

http://www.everydayhealth.com/weight/fewer-calories-stalls-metabolism.aspx
  • Harkins86
    Harkins86 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I cycle about 80-90 minuted most week days. I burn about 500-600 calories depending on what I am carrying on my bike. I tend to eat nuts and carb filled lunch like pasta. I think of it more as a calories consumed per week, so on the days I don't cycle I go over if i have been under on the days I do, as long as it balances at the end of the week I'm happy. Good luck!
  • Libbyly
    Libbyly Posts: 175
    Options
    If only we could share calories - I'd have no problem. :tongue:
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Where are you getting the calorie burn for the bike ride? It sounds a bit high to me. I wear a heart rate monitor, and when I use the bike at 14 mph for 45 min, I only burn about 200 calories. So, you may want to figure out how much you are actually burning.

I don't think his calorie burn is that far off. Your burn actually sounds a little low. It all depends on your weight and fitness level though. I wear a Polar FT7 and I burn about 300 calories from 20 minutes of interval training on a bike.

To the OP, I suggest some bigger meals. Some of your meals are in the 200-300 range. Try to plan your meals out ahead of time so that you reach the calorie goal by the end of the day. You get 1580 calories a day without exercise (which is low in my opinion). That means you could eat 400 calories for breakfast, 500 for lunch and dinner, and 180 worth of snacks. If you exercise that day then make each meal bigger. I try to eat 600 calories for each meal and 300 worth of snacks on days I don't exercise.