Calories allowed per day?

Options
Hey there! I have been using MFP for about 2 months now after my 2 roommates told me about it. I have had a lot of success but I have a question. I am considerably heavier than my 2 roommates. One is 150 lbs and the other is 200 lbs and obviously based on how vigorous we each want to lose weight and specifications of our body, our daily allotted calorie count is different but it’s like drastically different. I can eat almost 1800 calories a day but my other roommate can only eat like 1400 a day. I know it changes on how much you weigh and all that, but will MFP automatically update your calories you can eat based on how much you now weigh? I am just scared I might be eating too much

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    There is a 250 cal difference each time you change the rate of loss goal. You may be different.

You could have picked a reasonable level, they could have picked a foolish level.

Or you each picked a different activity level being honest about your day, or they chose sedentary even though not.

As commented, MFP will suggest when you drop 10 lbs to drop the eating goal.

It sadly won't suggest it's time to change to a more reasonable rate of loss as you have less to lose - it'll let what may have started as a reasonable choice go right to foolish.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    You can have those calories because you have more to lose, the allotted calories will change as you get closer to goal.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Based on the info provided, 1800 calories for a young person who weighs over 200 lbs is almost definitely a deficit amount, so you should still be able to lose weight on that. Also, it will depend on what each of you entered as your base activity level in addition to the rate of loss desired.

As far as the updating question, you will not get answers that agree.

I use the Android app. I enter my new weights using "Progress". MFP has updated my calories several times over the past 4+ months (from 1260 down to 1210). Others, however, have a different experience.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    As long as you are continuing to see progress, your calorie allotment should be fine. If you begin to see a plateau in your loss, reenter your goals using your current weight and adjust your eating.
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    You can also go in and set you calories manually so maybe they have done that.

I have mine set lower than MFP suggests due to some medications I'm on making weight loss difficult.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    Based on the info provided, 1800 calories for a young person who weighs over 200 lbs is almost definitely a deficit amount, so you should still be able to lose weight on that. Also, it will depend on what each of you entered as your base activity level in addition to the rate of loss desired.

As far as the updating question, you will not get answers that agree.

I use the Android app. I enter my new weights using "Progress". MFP has updated my calories several times over the past 4+ months (from 1260 down to 1210). Others, however, have a different experience.

Actually, it's one of the roommates that weighs 200 lbs, and OP is "significantly" heavier, so we can be even more confident that 1800 kcals is a deficit.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I have been using MFP for about 2 months now after my 2 roommates told me about it. I have had a lot of success but I have a question. I am considerably heavier than my 2 roommates. One is 150 lbs and the other is 200 lbs and obviously based on how vigorous we each want to lose weight and specifications of our body, our daily allotted calorie count is different but it’s like drastically different. I can eat almost 1800 calories a day but my other roommate can only eat like 1400 a day. I know it changes on how much you weigh and all that, but will MFP automatically update your calories you can eat based on how much you now weigh? I am just scared I might be eating too much

Find your comfort zone. Try 1,800 for awhile see how that works out. After time, tweak things a bit. You will learn as you go.

Everything is an estimation. Some people "need" lower calories because their logging isn't very good.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,167 Member
    Options
    With regards to the automatic update or not of calorie goals: I need to manually confirm my weight and activity level in the settings to adapt my calorie goal, it doesn't update automatically.

You've lost 30 lbs so it's quite simple: is your calorie goal in the app still the same as when you started your weightloss journey? If so, then it's not updating automatically. I've lost 16 lbs and my calorie goal has gone down from 1750 tot 1660 by updating my goal settings manually.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    MFP's goals tool has been an amazing tool for me. Over six months and 60+ pounds lost, it has not been off by more than a pound or two in its calorie guidance and its estimation of how much weight I'd lose per week. I really trust it at this point. Of course, results will vary from person to person, but I think even if it's a bit off for someone else, it isn't going to be crazy, totally off, just a little off. If it says to eat 1800 to lose X pounds per week, you can be reasonably confident for now that if you eat 1800, you'll lose X pounds per week.

But as someone else said, adjust as you go and tweak. MFP's numbers are starting points to get your organized and focused. Once you have 5 or 6 weeks of knowledge and data under your belt as to how fast you lose weight, how you feel being on 1800 cals, etc., you can fine-tune things. In fact, you can keep fine-tuning things after you fine-tune things; there is no obligation to ever arrive at The Number or The Perfect System. It can be a work in progress forever. The only thing you have to do is eat a calorie deficit on most days and not overdo it too much on the other days, and you will lose weight; everything else is up for grabs as you learn and tweak things.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    If you have lost 30 pounds you should have less calories than you did when you started. If not you should go back through the guided set-up. Since you are trying to lose 2 pounds a week you are attempting to create a 1000 calorie deficit each day. This means if MFP gives you 1800 calories to lose you would theoretically maintain your weight around 2800 calories and anything less would result in weight loss. This is worth keeping in mind when a mistake happens or you just want to eat a little more one day. Perfection is not required to lose weight. I have lost a lot of weight not being perfect.

Congrats on the 30 pounds. You must be feeling great at this point. Just don't quit for any reason.
  • caitlinltuttle
    caitlinltuttle Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    If you have lost 30 pounds you should have less calories than you did when you started. If not you should go back through the guided set-up. Since you are trying to lose 2 pounds a week you are attempting to create a 1000 calorie deficit each day. This means if MFP gives you 1800 calories to lose you would theoretically maintain your weight around 2800 calories and anything less would result in weight loss. This is worth keeping in mind when a mistake happens or you just want to eat a little more one day. Perfection is not required to lose weight. I have lost a lot of weight not being perfect.

Congrats on the 30 pounds. You must be feeling great at this point. Just don't quit for any reason.

Thank you for the motivation! I’m not quitting. I was sick and tired of who I saw in the mirror. I was sick and tired of not feeling sexy in my own skin. And I especially was sick and tired of having my weight limit what I do.

I went onto the setting portion of the app and looked at my goals and asked to “change them”. I kept them the same as they were but it just made MFP adjust. It dropped from 1780 calories a day to 1680 calories a day. Thank you guys for the tips! As someone who is new to MFP, it is really appreciated!!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,730 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I went onto the setting portion of the app and looked at my goals and asked to “change them”. I kept them the same as they were but it just made MFP adjust. It dropped from 1780 calories a day to 1680 calories a day. Thank you guys for the tips! As someone who is new to MFP, it is really appreciated!!

Forget room-mates.
    Forget whether you have "reasons" you want to get there sooner!
    Issue #1 is getting there.
    Issue #2 is STAYING there.

Speed is wonderful. Adherence is much much much more important. Long term compliance even more.
    Search @NovusDies posts about him speeding up his weight loss effort for surgery.

Don't get sucked into the speed trap. Keep your deficit to 25% of your TDEE or less. If your TDEE is not well over 3K, 1K deficits may already be too large.

The win is not just to get there but to stay there. <25% deficits tend to almost always allow for -500 and quite often for -750. -750 is still more than 75lbs a year...>
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

Forget room-mates.
    Forget whether you have "reasons" you want to get there sooner!
    Issue #1 is getting there.
    Issue #2 is STAYING there.

Speed is wonderful. Adherence is much much much more important. Long term compliance even more.
    Search @NovusDies posts about him speeding up his weight loss effort for surgery.

Don't get sucked into the speed trap. Keep your deficit to 25% of your TDEE or less. If your TDEE is not well over 3K, 1K deficits may already be too large.

The win is not just to get there but to stay there. <25% deficits tend to almost always allow for -500 and quite often for -750. -750 is still more than 75lbs a year...>

Here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10762903/how-i-went-from-sustainable-to-unsustainable/p1

• caitlinltuttle
    caitlinltuttle Posts: 10 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    “Don't get sucked into the speed trap. Keep your deficit to 25% of your TDEE or less. If your TDEE is not well over 3K, 1K deficits may already be too large.

The win is not just to get there but to stay there. <25% deficits tend to almost always allow for -500 and quite often for -750. -750 is still more than 75lbs a year...>”

Can you explain this some more? @PAV8888

It is just a little confusing. I’m not familiar with the acronyms used