Busy mom meal ideas please

Options
Hi everyone! I'm taking care of my son and my niece (born two days apart!) During the day. I need some ideas for meals that I can prepare ahead of time and eat while running after two 8 month old's :) I'm interested in high fiber, nutritious meals and snacks. All ideas are appreciated! TIA:smile::smile:

Replies

• Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Theres a white chicken chili that I love to make. When my boys were little (6 yr old twins), I had a very long love affair with my crockpot.... i couldnt have made it without it!
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I'd love the white chicken chili recipe :) I love my crockpot as well and am always looking for a good recipe
  • aethompson5507
    aethompson5507 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    i have a deep covered baker from pampered chef. it allows me to cook full meals, healthy ones too, in my microwave, and usually no longer than 30 min. so its kinda like set it and forget it. i can do a whole 4-5lb chicken in it, with the lid off, and it takes about 30 min. seriously the best chicken ive ever tasted! then do up some rice and a veggy and your in there!
  • Happy0326
    Happy0326 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Go to skinnytast.com I think you will absolutely LOVE it!!!! Also try Shiritaki noodles ZERO calories (the one's WITHOUT Tofu) those are 20 calories. They soak up whatever flavor you cook them with. You can use them as a pasta or in a stir fry. A friend of mine used them with bok choi, shrimp, brown spicy mustard, garlic & a sauce similar to soy sauce found at Trader Joes & total 84 calories. Yummy too.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I have a recipe for a great snack that's high in protein -- Honey Milk Balls (I think it's in the recipe database on here). It has peanut butter, nonfat dry milk, oats, honey. They're easy, keep forever, and 2 of them can be almost a meal in themselves.

For a really easy/good meal, I make an old Jambalaya recipe I have w/ground turkey instead of ground beef/sausage. Because it has the meat, veggies, tomatoes, and brown rice, it's really filling. And you can make a big pot, store the leftovers in jars with lids, and it will keep for weeks in the fridge -- just dump it in a pot (or microwave), heat it up, and eat. Yummm...
  • megan4487
    megan4487 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    there are some really yummy ideas on here...thanks
  • ggif75
    ggif75 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Slow cooker meals are always a good idea for those on the go. They're great because you just throw in your ingredients, turn it on and when you get home you have a hot meal waiting. I found this neat blog with tons of slow cooker recipes. http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/
  • teasdino
    teasdino Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Rachael Ray has some fast recipes. Also, clean eating has some healthy inexpensive recipes. The clean eating web site is http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/Recipes/Quick-Easy.aspx
    You can probably go to the food network and browse some of Rachel Rays previous shows. I do believe she might also be in the library with her thirty minute meals. Just tweak them a little to be as healthy as you want.
    Another thing is to go to www.allrecipes.com. They have a mind boggling amount of recipes. You might want to put in crock pot in the search. If you don't have a crock pot you can put the ingredients in a regular pot and pop it in the oven.
    Also, you have simple things out there you can make. Barilla has a healthy line of pasta. If you look on the back the ingredients will have listed bean flour. The package is a......yellow color I believe. Then you throw some tomato sauce together with some Italian seasonings and poof...there you go. If you want to try something different but really good make some shrimp and put that in with your sauce. Trust me...it is good. If you want to forgo pasta but like a noodle then bake a spaghetti squash. When it is done, cut it open lengthwise. Scoop out the middle with a fork. Then you will see the rest come out kind of like pasta.
    You can also make stir fry. Just cook a batch of rice ahead of time. I will grill several chicken breasts at once. Then I have a base that is ready for me.
    Hope this helps.
  • CandiRain23
    Options
    I defiantly need a crock pot!!!! Thank you for all the wonderful ideas:)
  • orhstay87
    Options
    Someone recommended the book 'Fix it and Forget it Lightly' to me. Bought it, but haven't made anything out of it. They're all recipes that you throw into the crock pot and let it cook while you're at work or whatever. It also lists nutrition info for each recipe! A lot of the recipes look amazing!!