Started to bulk on the 8th

Options
I recently started to bulk on the 8th weighed 185 and then just yesterday Saturday the 16th i weighed myself and hit 190.2 Im wondering for everyone if I gained 4 pounds a week or less would be too much gain and less muscle and how can I eat enough to gain muscle instead of fat

Replies

• GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Four pounds a week at 185lbs? You'll get a lot of fat at that rate.

Muscle is really slow to grow. On average, the most muscle you can put on would be 0.25 to 0.5 pounds per week, assuming you're not using steroids. And that's the best case scenario, assuming proper nutrition, perfect sleep, low stress, etc. Generally people will tell you to find the calorie level you need to consume in order to keep your weight gain at about 0.5lbs per week, eat sufficient protein (0.8-1.0g per pound of body weight), and use a well crafted, progressive, lifting program that you will consistently do. That will give you a good clean bulk.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    Some of that gain may be water weight if you have added in a load of carbs. Set your calories to gain. .5 pound a week as the previous poster suggests. Kept a close eye on your trend weight and adjust as needed. You don’t want to gain too much too soon.