oh no! my first gain since starting MFP.

Options
I had a big loss two weeks ago, and then this week went up a little. It's amazing what that scale can do to my ego. I've been feeling really down all day, even though I'm proud of what I've accomplished over the last 6 weeks. How do you guys getting over little gains? Does anyone have any words of advice for raising spirits after a gain?

Replies

• NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I try not to look at my week-to-week progress (I know, it's hard). I look at my overall progress from the beginning. You're doing great! Keep it up!!:flowerforyou:
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    If you had a big loss, it is almost to be expected to have a small loss or none the next week. DO NOT GIVE UP!!! You are doing a great job! Don't let this get you down and destroy all the hard work you've already done.

You know how many times I have gained weight on weigh-in day? A MILLION TIMES! haha. Hold your head up high :)

I wish I could say it was is the first time this has happened to me. You are still down over all, so take it with a grain of salt. Go girl!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    It can be frustrating, I know. You have to look at your overall progress and use your gains to figure out what may have gone "wrong" that week. Generally speaking, if you're eating right and exercising any gain you see will be from water weight. One night out with a couple of drinks or a restaurant meal can make you retain a surprising amount of water. Drinking less water than your body needs will also make you retain water. But sometimes it's just water retention caused by your hormones. I know that a lot of women see a gain of 1-5 pounds during their period. It can be unsettling to a gain like that but it will go away sometime during the week after your period is over.
  • pbgx
    pbgx Posts: 2
    Options
    Don't forget to measure your waist and hips. When my weight doesn't change, my measurements drop. Also, don't forget you are a woman and our bodies fluctuate throughout the month. Note which times of the month you experience this and you may see a pattern. God bless. Keep up the good work!
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Don't let the scale dominate your life! Use it as a tool nothing else. Keep doing the right things and it will show you progress.
    Weight varies and floats for a large number of reasons.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
  • meangreen11
    meangreen11 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I had a big loss two weeks ago, and then this week went up a little. It's amazing what that scale can do to my ego. I've been feeling really down all day, even though I'm proud of what I've accomplished over the last 6 weeks. How do you guys getting over little gains? Does anyone have any words of advice for raising spirits after a gain?

I had my first gain this morning after three months of successful losing. I did experience a rather large 1.8 lb. loss last week and figure that "gaining" a half of pound this week isn't a huge deal in the overall scheme of things; however, this was the difference between 129.7 last week and 130.3 this week. I know either way you look at it I was as 1-3-0 both weigh-ins, but dammit I was so excited I hit the 120s. My goal is 125 so I realize things are bound to slow down.