Seeing a difference...?

Options
XLNC1981
XLNC1981 Posts: 114 Member
Hi folks, just after a little re-assurance. I am 5.2kg lighter on the scales and feel slightly more agile for it but I can’t actually see the difference as such!

Am I expecting too much after being just over 2 weeks in...

I work out and lift heavy so I know I have hidden muscle tone but I’m just not seeing a difference. Help!

Replies

• giancarlov1191
    giancarlov1191 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is take a monthly progress photo. It's definitely too soon to notice much change when you see yourself every day
  • XLNC1981
    Options
    Appreciate that feedback... eagerness for results takes over. I wanted somebody to put it into perspective and you have. I’ll keep at it
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    XLNC1981 wrote: »
    Hi folks, just after a little re-assurance. I am 5.2kg lighter on the scales and feel slightly more agile for it but I can’t actually see the difference as such!

Am I expecting too much after being just over 2 weeks in...

I work out and lift heavy so I know I have hidden muscle tone but I’m just not seeing a difference. Help!

Most likely you are expecting too much for 2 weeks. That is unless you were already really lean but then the 5.2kg loss, even if most of it is water, would be harder to understand.

I agree with taking progress photos but I also think you need to manage your expectations. It may take a very long time and you need to focus on the process not on the results.
  • XLNC1981
    Options
    Exactly what I needed to hear. All hands on ‘process’ - I guess the results will out themselves. Thank you 👍🏽
  • mhassan160
    mhassan160 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Me too! Just lost 8lb and I’m still look the same person but I decided to not be in hurry and wait until loosing at least 20lb from my 100lb, good luck
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much you have to lose and where your body takes the fat from. 5.2kg may be far more noticeable on someone who doesn't have much to lose. In addition, we can't control where the body burns fat from, and it might burn a little here and a little there. It's hard to see that sort of reduction. It's also just hard to see weight loss on yourself sometimes because you presumably look at yourself multiple times a day, which makes it hard to see gradual change.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    Don't really remember seeing anything different in the mirror after 50lbs lost but I knew it was happening because the scales were moving. Probably wasn't until I'd lost close to 80-100lbs that I could look in the mirror and acknowledge there was a difference in what I saw staring back.

I think in my case this may be due to the fact that I lost 'all over' at about the same rate. This means that the changes were, at least to me, even less noticeable as even though I was getting smaller the overall shape of my silhouette and proportions remained the same.

The problem is you see yourself every day and the changes are so gradual that they're impossible to perceive. This is why, at the very least, a starting photo is a good idea.
  • XLNC1981
    Options
    All useful and great insight! Appreciate it folks
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    mhassan160 wrote: »
    Me too! Just lost 8lb and I’m still look the same person but I decided to not be in hurry and wait until loosing at least 20lb from my 100lb, good luck

Be on the lookout for NSVs. You may find that you "feel" the loss before you see it.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I didn't see any real progress till 40-50 lbs., but everyone is different. patience my friend.
  • XLNC1981
    Options
    I have 37lbs to lose to get me down to where I’d like to be! Currently at 213lbs at 5ft 9 and I’m carrying muscle as I have been training since Oct 17 but obviously diet has been my downfall.

I have been feeling depleted given calorie deficit but given I’m over 2 weeks in it has normalised somewhat. I am lifting heavy but less reps and sets to keep strength/muscle and force the fat to go.

I really hope it does! I’m latching on to the patience factor!

Thanks
  • gemiller87
    gemiller87 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is take a monthly progress photo. It's definitely too soon to notice much change when you see yourself every day

And as much as it pains you take the early early progress photos. I really regret not swallowing my pride and taking some very early photos, now I scrounge to find something to compare current progress photos against.