Family cooking - Tips and tricks

Options
How do you make small healthier food changes for the rest of the family?

I am the main cook in the family, and have started to only use oil when cooking and always adding the vegetables the kids like for dinner. I also taught my eldest child to make his own overnight oats.

Any other "tricks" to make regular food healthier?

Replies

• cflaate
    cflaate Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Don’t demonize any food. Children are never too young to learn about amounts of food required to fuel their bodies.

I absolutely agree. I am looking to add and alternate, not cut.
  • melking1969
    melking1969 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have started canning again (my grandma taught me when I was younger). My hubby and I both work in a very busy career. I found over the last year or so we have gravitated towards the quick premade (not healthy) meals. Not fast food but quick easy frozen or pre packaged things. I found i was putting on weight and in general getting tired.
    I decided to start canning our favourites and it is making a difference (I love to cook anyhow)
    I found that I am now in charge of what our quick meals are made of. Even making soups for my parents and son. Its a great hobby and now I found I look forward to making our meals. Hubby loves it
  • Keliz1173
    Keliz1173 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Also the main cook for my family.
    I don't think this is revolutionary but I'm on a baking sheet kick. I cover the baking sheets with parchment and have one with whatever meat or fish I'm cooking and the other with whatever veggies I have on hand. Takes very little oil and you can change up the seasonings for variety. I do this with chicken, fish, pork. It's colourful, tasty and easy to clean up. Roasting brings out such nice flavours in the veggies - my son will eat these more readily than steamed. Sometimes I'll add feta or parmesan cheese to the meat or a few chopped nuts to the veggies.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Maybe we just have different ideas of "regular food" but I think most of the things I make for dinner are healthy already. Maybe some are higher calorie, like last nights alfredo. But I don't do anything different. My kids tend to pick at their food anyway, so it's not calories I'm worried about. I think adding vegetables goes a long way. Eating a lot of them myself shows my kids a good example.